Thread: Thomas Hopley

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Thomas Hopley

Thomas was born in October 1860 died 30 June 1942 in Australia. I know that he had a few holidays at Stafford jail at Her Majesty's pleasure in the late 1890's, (Petty theft) nothing serious. But they transported him anyway. What I'm looking for is the exact dates that he was away, as I can't tell if he was really my G' Grandfather. His wife, Mary Ann nee Hannaby, had 3 more children after he left the country. My Grandmother was born in 1895 & I'm sure he left before she was conceived because when my Gran' started work at 15, her mother put her name down as Lester, not Hopley. Thomas Lester was the lodger How do I find the dates of him leaving the country? Or are there any Aussies out there who are related & can help? I need to kn ow if I'm a Hopley or a Lester Thanks, John.

janbooth

Hi John,

It looks as if your Thomas HOPLEY was still in the UK in 1901, if he is the Thomas HOPLEY born c1860 at Longton, as he is shown residing at Stafford Gaol (RG13/2572, folio 166, page 17), a Bricklayer's Labourer.

If you can access FindmyPast, they have two criminal records for your Thomas HOPLEY and his periods of imprisonment in 1894 & 1896. Can't give you full details, I'm afraid, because of their terms & conditions. Depending upon when your grandmother was born, he may well have been her father, but you would have to compare his periods of imprisonment with her likely date of conception.

Janet

Brick wall demolition expert!

First of all he was not transported. Transportation ended in 1868.

Findmypast has a great collection of criminal records and has most of what you are looking for.

Search under "England & Wales, Crime, Prisons & Punishment, 1770-1935" and then what you are looking for are the series of records HO140 and MEPO6

The last record I can see is West Bromwich 1903 and him being released in 1904.

Reputation beyond repute

1. Criminal transportation was abolished in 1868. Where did you get the idea that he was transported?

2. Your grandmother was named Elsie Lester HOPLEY. A bit of a clue there, I would have thought.

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Eberhardt View Post
    Thomas was born in October 1860 died 30 June 1942 in Australia.
    I think you have your wires crossed. Thomas HOPLEY was married in NSW in 1895 and was aged 73 when he died in 1942.

Dundee10

Your Thomas was in prison when the 1901 census was taken:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XS7S-9NT

Quote Originally Posted by Megan Roberts View Post
    First of all he was not transported. Transportation ended in 1868.

The last record I can see is West Bromwich 1903 and him being released in 1904.
    The last record I can see is 18 mths imprisonment + 7 years supervision Hereford County Sessions, 17 Oct 1904. He appears to have spent 90 mths in prison between Nov 1891 and 1906.
    A Thomas Hopley, Longton, Staffs was in Totnes Police Court, 20 Aug 1906.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Peter, Her mother named her either Hopley or Lester on several official forms, & sometimes Lester Hopley. I didn't know for sure that he had been transported, but I recall an uncle talking when I was very young about Thomas & Oz, I put 2+2 together & got it wrong. John.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The last record I can see is 18 mths imprisonment + 7 years supervision Hereford County Sessions, 17 Oct 1904. He appears to have spent 90 mths in prison between Nov 1891 and 1906.
    A Thomas Hopley, Longton, Staffs was in Totnes Police Court, 20 Aug 1906.
    Thank you, He doesn't seem to have been a clever criminal. No wonder all my uncles & aunts kept very quiet about him. John.