Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Susan Riches.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

That is good if you have found a lead - too many Robert's Ha ha..

Mrs P

Famous for offering help & advice

Henry and Susan had 3 children called Elizabeth, only the last one survived.

A Robert Helsdon and Elizabeth had a son in 1685 called Robert in Stratton Strawless, just north of Norwich. They had their last child Nicholas in 1707 in Horsham St Faith. They may have had children inbetween but not yet found them. Nicholas Helsdon married in Norwich in 1730 and lived in the parish that Henry lived at, during the time. A Robert Helsdon died in Horsham St Faith in 1717 and Henry named his next child Robert in 1718.

So I think Henry named his children after parents. The Susan Riches born in 1694 had a mother Elizabeth but it seems Henry's mum was an Elizabeth as well.

Definitely a naming pattern going on isn't there.

Have you done a physical tree - anomalies often show up when you do a timeline and work with a corresponding map.

Mrs P

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    Definitely a naming pattern going on isn't there.

Have you done a physical tree - anomalies often show up when you do a timeline and work with a corresponding map.

Mrs P
    When you say map do you mean maps of the areas they live in?

I have got a gedcom and a tree on Anc.

Hi Benny

Yes when I get to the 1600 and 1700's I draw a timeline tree - then any anomalies show up. Baptisms are no indication of a birth date of course so that throws another equation into the mix. I look on old maps and get a feel for the local area and the parishes and villages/towns involved.

You are almost building a picture up of the Heldson families in that area and that is interesting in itself.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Mrs P

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    Hi Benny

Yes when I get to the 1600 and 1700's I draw a timeline tree - then any anomalies show up. Baptisms are no indication of a birth date of course so that throws another equation into the mix. I look on old maps and get a feel for the local area and the parishes and villages/towns involved.

You are almost building a picture up of the Heldson families in that area and that is interesting in itself.

Good luck and happy hunting.

Mrs P
    Luckily the Susan Riches born in 1694 daughter of Isaac had her DOB listed. Born 30 April 1694. So she would have been 31 when she got married for the first time if she is the same lady who wed Henry Helsdon in May 1725. Also Isaac Riches lived very near to where Henry Helsdon lived. Both were weavers so the Susan born 1694 is a potential ancestor. I shall keep plugging away at this.

I think Henry is the son of Robert and Elizabeth, hence why he named children Robert and Elizabeth.

UPDATE:

Did some more digging. Out of the 2 likeliest Susan Riches to wed Henry Helsdon in 1725, (1691 and 1694) it could be they were first cousins. I think Edmund and Isaac Riches were the sons of Thomas of Gunthorpe, Norfolk. He left a will in 1692 and mentions sons Edmund, Isaac, John, William, Henry and James Riches. A John, Edmund and James Riches lived in the Mancroft parish of Norwich in the 1680s/1690s. Having done research, the James Riches who had a daughter Susan in 1691 is very likely the James Riches son of Thomas of Gunthorpe. No other James Riches seem to fit.

Isaac Riches is listed from 1713 onwards in Timberhill until his death in 1751. The Isaac Riches of Parmentergate seems to also disappear from the land window tax records after 1750. Could be he had a property in Timberhill and Parmentergate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12