Default Hutt in Cambridge

I am researching Hutt in Cambridge and trying to locate the whereabouts of any wills that may exist for them prior to 1858, I understand an index for the Archdeaconry of Ely Probate Records 1513-1857 is available does anyone know if this can be accessed on line and if so how?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums
    I put Archdeaconry of Ely Probate Records 1513-1857 in to a search engine. Numerous results with familysearch being one of them however when I tried to access the records this is what it said.
    "You do not have sufficient rights to view the requested object
    Only a limited number of users can view this object at the same time, and viewers must be in the Family History Library, a partner library, or a Family History Center. If you are in one of these locations and are receiving this message, the user limit has been exceeded. Please try again later."
    It seems they are on Findmypast as one of the indexes under England & Wales Published Wills & Probate Indexes, 1300-1858. Here

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A search of FMP for Hutt (no alternative spellings), location Cambridge returned 6 hits against their index to Death Duty Registers - 1812, 1814, 1824, 1880, 1882, 1893
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you christanel and helachau

I have managed after some difficulty to find my way into the Ely Probate Records on FMP, so far I have not been able to find any entries for Hutt that seem of interest although I haven't finished checking completely. The entries in the Death Duty Registers do look like they are worth following up, so I will be looking into them further.

My main interest is to try to find a link between the name Tuck and Hutt, this is in my quest to discover the birth of a Jabez who claims to have been born in Cambridge in about 1815 and who names his father as William Tuck when he marries in 1866. There is a marriage of a William Tuck to a Sarah Hutt at All Saints, Cambridge on 12th October 1813 so these could be Jabez's parents, but thus far I have not been able to find a baptism for Jabez that would support this. I believe that Sarah Hutt was born in 1788, a Stephen and Faith Hutt have a daughter of that name baptised at All Saints on 3rd September 1788 and there is a Sarah Tuck buried at All Saints 2 August 1833 of the correct age to be the same person.

There is circumstantial evidence of a connection between Jabez Tuck and the Hutt family as Jabez ended up in London and by 1841 had established himself as a Bookseller/Stationer, there is a Richard Hutt who was a Bookseller at 29 Trinity Street for many years who is a relative of Sarah Hutt and it is possible that he may have taken Jabez on as an assistant, and that is where he learnt the trade.

So I guess my next questions are, can anyone point me at a possible baptism for Jabez Tuck, or any siblings he may have had and what became of his father William as he just seems to disappear, there is a possibility they were non-conformist as some of the children of Richard Hutt appear in the records of Baptist as opposed to C of E churches.

Any help with trying to find Jabez would be gratefully received

I see that Jabez says he is a bachelor on his marriage to Ann Eldreidge yet the only Jabez Tuck I can find born Cambridgeshire in previous censuses is married to a Mary and has children.
    I searched for a marriage for a Tuck to a Mary 1841 - 1851 but couldn't find one so I searched just for a Jabez and found this one
    1841 Jabez Pluck, on the same page Mary Witmore vol 6 page 981 registration district Royston & C which FreeBMD tells me is an alternative name for Royston and it spans the boundaries of the counties of Essex, Hertfordshire and Cambridgeshire
    This gets weirder
    1861 census
    Jaber Tuck 36 Printer Cambridge
    Mary Tuck 26 Cutsfield Kent
    Sophia Tuck 4 Clapham
    Emma Tuck 2 Clapham
    Laura Tuck 6 Mo Bishopgate
    Fanny Gwynn 19 Servant Lambeth

Birth reg on GRO index for Laura Tuck 6 months above,
    Laura Harborough Tuck Dec 1/4 1850 reg dist. East London Union vol 2 page 234 Mother's maiden name Eldridge
    But can't see birth registrations with Eldridge as mmn for Sophia and Emma at the moment
    Do you have all this?
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Reputation beyond repute

Archdeaconry of Ely Probate Records...
    The other main jurisdiction was the Consistory Court.

Cambridgeshire Record Office have probate indexes they can look up. Why don't you just contact them?

Hi Christina

Ann and Mary are one and the same person, Jabez didn't marry Mary Ann Eldridge until 1866 after all the children had been born, his will written in 1883 contains a statement naming all his surviving children with the following comment,

"the children of my late wife Mary Ann Tuck whose name prior to my marriage with her was Mary Ann Eldridge and that the whole of the above mentioned children were born of the said Mary Ann Eldridge prior to my marriage with her and that the whole of the legacies, bequests and devises hereinbefore contained to such children are given bequeathed and devised by me to them as such illegitimate children as aforesaid."

Quite why Jabez waited 19 years and the births of a total of 10 children before marrying is a mystery, the answer to which may never be known.

Hi
    Oh what a wonderful will. So precise, it is a dream find. He only missed out on telling why they didn't marry earlier.
    Out of curiosity I took a look on FreeReg for baptisms. butials. marriages of Hutts 1600 - 1860 and this one came up

Phillimore's Transcripts
    Cambridgeshire
    Church - All Saints
    Marriage 12 October 1813
    Groom William TUCK
    Groom's parish St. Mary The Less
    Bride - Sarah HUTT
    William Burroughs

Hi Peter

I have now managed to find the some wills of interest to me via FMP and have emailed the Cambridgeshire Record Office for a quote for obtaining copies, one in particular I believe may be that of Jabez Tuck's mother, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I am correct in my thinking.

Hi Christina,

William Tuck and Sarah Hutt I am hoping are Jabez Tuck's parents as you may have seen im my reply to Peter I have tracked down a will that may be that of Sarah Tuck nee Hutt which hopefully will indicate whether or not he is indeed their son.