Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default The Watts, Cropredy, Oxfordshire

Been on a bit of a roll with the above family but of course I've hit a hump...John Watts, bapt. 7 July 1621, Cropredy....need marriage to who, when, where. Also bapt. John's father Arthur Watts poss. abt 1590 and mother Anne Warren. Arthur Watts and Anne Warren were married 19 November 1616 Cropredy. From 1621 forward all the Watts bmd occur Copredy. An Elizabeth Watts bapt. 1664 Cropredy (father Thomas, mother Mary) m. John Kimbell in 1686 Cropredy. Her father Thomas Watts (son of John?) died 1679 Cropredy. Working backwards, although I don't have a bapt. for Thomas or a marriage date for he and a Mary Unknown, bapt. dates and naming patterns suggest that John Watts (1621) just may be his father. Just missing a few vital dates/names to tie these people together. The above does make sense....to me......and knowing how you enjoy a challenge....Thank you....

janbooth

From Ancestry's parish register images of Cropredy, Oxfordshire (also confirmed by Oxon FHS Parish Register Transcripts):

8 September 1588 Arthur WATTS son of Richard WATTS & Anne his wife baptised
    7 December 1589 Richard WATTS son of Rychard WATTS & Anne his wife baptised
    8 December 1592 George WATTS son of Rychard WATTS & Anne his wife baptised
    1 January 1593/94 Elizabeth WATTS daughter of Richard WATTS & Anne his wife baptised
    14 January 1598/99 Anne WATTS daughter of Rychard & Anne WATTS baptised

Marriages are proving elusive at the moment, but will keep looking.

Janet

I'm totally speechless (or was) Janet....Matte = Watts.....no wonder I couldn't find Arthur Watts. Please tell me it's loads of experience that gives you special powers. You've just shown me to think outside the box, but I may be a bit of a late starter. The above has been a great help Janet........Liz

janbooth

Liz, are you sure you have the correct progression backwards from Thomas & Mary WATTS. Are they your direct ancestors or is the John baptised 1621 your direct line and you are trying to link Thomas & John together? The parish registers of Cropredy do not appear to have a baptism of Thomas WATTS son of John WATTS as far as I can see. They do, however, have the baptism of Thomas WATTS son of Thomas WATTS & Francis his wife on 13 March 1623/24. Siblings to Thomas are:

William baptised 23 April 1620
    Hanna baptised 11 May 1622
    Elizabeth baptised 30 April 1626

Thomas WATTS married Francis CLEYDON at Cropredy on 6 May 1619. Burial for a Frances WATTS at Cropredy on 29 August 1628. Then a marriage at Cropredy on 20 November 1628 for a Thomas WATTS & a Hester CHERYE followed by the baptisms of these children at Cropredy:

John WATTS baptised 13 September 1629
    Marye WATTS baptised 24 February 1635/36, burial on 28 February 1635/36 for a Marye WATTS
    Elizabeth WATTS baptised 12 March 1636/37
    Samuell WATTS baptised 10 July 1643

If you can access FindmyPast, they have some Oxfordshire Wills for various members of the WATTS family resident at Cropredy the earliest being that of Richard WATTS in 1602 and going up to a John WATTS in 1809. I don't know how, or even if, they fit into your direct line, but you could have a look and see if any of them are worth paying to view.

Janet

Oh my goodness Janet....thanks for bringing this possibility to my attention......will look into it this evening and get back to you Liz

Well Janet, will look at wills on fmp tonight but in the meantime I think I need to (and have) gone back to the first Watts that appears on my tree....one Elizabeth Watts (7 x g.grandmother?) bapt. 9/12/1664 Cropredy f. Thomas Watts and mother Mary. 3 siblings Mary 28/5/1667, John 22/1/1669, Thomas 2/12/1672. Not being able to find a bapt. or marriage for father Thomas is what I feel is throwing a spanner in the works. A few other trees have the father/mother of an Elizabeth Watts being John Watts abt 1640 and Elizabeth Toms abt 1643 (both just Ox.) but no credible sources or any sources at all, but I think I should look into this. Unfortunately I only get a couple of hours a day to hit the computer. I so appreciate your generous time given to BG. Liz

janbooth

No problem, Lizzie. Am grandson sitting today so will not have very much time to search, but will have another look tomorrow and see what I can discover. It could well be that Thomas & Mary married in another county. Some of my Oxfordshire lot married in Warwickshire, some in Worcestershire - Shipston on Stour seems a popular place for a lot of Oxfordshire folk - or Gloucestershire, so will have a gander and see if I can find anything for them tomorrow.

Janet

John Watts bapt 1621 died 1633 Cropredy hence no marriage to anyone! So any link between John and Thomas is gone. John Watts (of Cropredy) married Elizabeth Toms, Horley, 20 June 1663. No Elizabeth's that I can see born to them. Elizabeth Watts is motherless/fatherless at the moment......lol.....as I thought I'd start with a clean slate and delete f.Thomas, m.Mary and Elizabeth's siblings so as not to get distracted. Arthur Watts was bapt 8 Sept 1588 Cropredy, son of Rychard and Anne Watts. So I've actually answered a few of my own questions. An Elizabeth Watts and possible spouse John Kimbell both appear on the same page on the parish register showing their baptisms. Enjoy your day. Liz

janbooth

The only marriage that appears on the Oxfordshire FHS Marriage Index for an Elizabeth WATTS & variants between 1657 and 1703 is that of the one at Cropredy on 7 February 1686/87 to John KIMBELL and this is confirmed by the parish register image on Ancestry which states they were married by banns. Eight children to this couple, all baptised at Cropredy:

Anna 16 December 1687
    John 17 March 1689/90
    Elizabeth 18 January 1691/92
    Mary 9 March 1693/94
    Judith 11 March 1698/99 (born 1 March), daughter of John KIMBELL, Yeoman, & Elizabeth of Great Borton
    Richard 17 June 1701 (born 8 June) son do do
    Thomas 27 February 1702/03 (born 20 January) do do
    Nathaniel 27 January 1704/05 (born 30 Dec 1704) do do

If this Elizabeth WATTS is your direct ancestor, you have two likely choices for her baptism at Cropredy:

19 December 1663 Elizabeth daughter of William WATTS & Elizabeth his wife
    10 December 1664 Elizabeth daughter of Thomas WATTS & Mary his wife

Neither seem to have been buried at Cropredy prior to 1686/87.

John KIMBELL's Will is on FMP dated 1732, Yeoman of Great Bourton It mentions his wife and children but not much else.

Janet

janbooth

Perhaps a clue to Elizabeth KIMBELL nee WATTS parentage, given that John & Elizabeth named a daughter Judith, is the baptism at Cropredy on 10 April 1672 of a Judith WATTS daughter of William & Elizabeth WATTS. Baptisms of at least 5 children to William & Elizabeth WATTS at Cropredy, i.e. John 16 February 1661/2, Elizabeth 19 December 1663, George 10 January 1666/7, William 14 March 1668/9 & Judith 10 April 1672. However, I cannot find a marriage on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index in the appropriate timescale for a William WATTS to an Elizabeth.

Baptism at Cropredy on 26 January 1638/39 of William WATS son of George WATS & Judeth his wife - sounds a likely candidate for the above William doesn't it. But once more, no marriage on the Oxfordshire Marriage Index for George WAT(T)S to a Judith.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast