Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

Janet.....I probably hit the wrong button....twice. I was just about to post about finding a bapt. of a Judith Watts 1672 to William and Elizabeth etc. etc. etc. and you had pipped me at the post. I knew I needed to look for a distinctive name and Judith was not particularly common. You sound absolutely positive about Elizabeth's parentage as do I. I was prepared to leave her an orphan as the thought of linking into the wrong family gives me nightmares. I am really, really pleased about this outcome which would not have come about in the short term without your unwavering generosity in putting your hand up. The bapt of William Wat(t)s seems spot on too. I'll plod on with the marriages of Wm/Eliz. and George/Judith. Many, many thanks Janet.....'til next time......Lizzie. P.S. Been pruning olive trees and haven't got to the wills yet. Hopefully over the weekend.

janbooth

Glad to be of help and hope you find something in the Wills to absolutely prove the connection between Elizabeth & William WATTS. It does sound likely that she is the daughter of William & Elizabeth but I would like some other corroboration.

Janet

Haha Janet.......just got back to the above Watts....what do you make of this......Viewing the original parish record of the marriage of George Watts to Judeth Mole, Horley, Ox., 5 Nov. 1633 has the name George over-written with the name Joseph! There is a bapt. for a Josiah Watts, f. George m. Jane 22 April 1610 but no George bapt. that I can pick up. All the bapts. of the children of Judeth and ? have the father as George....Richard 1634, William 1638 and Edward 1644. Also a burial for George Watts, Cropredy, 15 August 1664. May have mentioned it in a PM to you but if not John Kimbell died 1731 Great Bourton , buried Cropredy and Elizabeth 1736 Great Bourton, buried Cropredy. Welcome your or others opinion about the alteration to register......Lizzie

janbooth

Strange because the forename George has not been crossed out but Joseph written above. Oxon FHS have shown both forenames in their marriage index. There are no WATTS baptisms at Horley and doing a quick search on Ancestry, I can find no WATTS baptisms from 1633 to 1643 where the father is named Joseph - not totally conclusive but perhaps an indication of an error. Perhaps the incumbent wrote up the register afterwards and wasn't too sure of the bridegroom's forename so hedged his bets!

I have had a quick look for any MOLE Wills to see if any mention a married daughter Judith without much success, but I may have missed something.

Janet

Damned annoying Janet but thank you for having a look. When I hit a brick wall like this I just leave things as they are and go back later when sometimes an Ancestry hint or another tree owner comes up with the answer. Thankyou.....Liz

janbooth

Isn't it just! I have a whole fraternal line of one of my direct ancestors who just disappear off the face of the earth after 1806 when mentioned in the Will of my direct ancestor, except for one daughter who is mentioned in another Will under her married name. Have sorted out her line to a conclusion but where parents and siblings ended up I have no idea - so frustrating!

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12