Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

It's an image from the 'Register of Baptisms', Pam. Baptism date July 19th 1893; written in the margin April 20th 1892. All baptisms on the page have a date of birth entered in the margin.
    Alma

Dundee10

Florence May WHITELEY
    Event Type Christening
    Event Date 19 Jul 1893
    Event Place St Augustine, Newton, Lancashire, England
    Father's Name George WHITELEY
    Mother's Name Sarah WHITELEY

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FM14-HRJ

Newton Heath was in the reg. district of Prestwich and there is this (probably) illegitimate birth:

POLLITT, FLORENCE MAY
    No Mother's maiden surname indexed
    GRO Reference: 1892
    June Quarter in PRESTWICH
    Volume 08D Page 377

You would need to see the birth certificate to know if this is a contender.

I too thought Pollitt a possibility but can't remember why. I did take notes on my laptop but I'M in bed now with the iPad which I detest. Anyway as two of us saw Pollitt as a contender perhaps further investigation would be useful, it will have to wait though for me as I'm going to try and sleep now
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I too thought Pollitt a possibility but can't remember why. I did take notes on my laptop but I'M in bed now with the iPad which I detest. Anyway as two of us saw Pollitt as a contender perhaps further investigation would be useful, it will have to wait though for me as I'm going to try and sleep now

Well that plan didn't work No sleep for me!

Here's the notes I'd taken earlier.

There is a baptism for Florence may whiteley in Manchester which says 1892 birth and 1893 baptism with parents George and sarah living at 11 charles street.
    The registration district for Newton Heath was Prestwich

POLLITT, FLORENCE MAY (no MMN, probably an illegitimate birth) -
    GRO Reference: 1892 J Quarter in PRESTWICH Volume 08D Page 377

Deaths Dec 1892
    Pollitt Sarah age 39 Prestwich 8d 254

The age at death would mean Sarah was quite a bit older than George!
    Alma

There is a George and Sarah Whiteley in 1891 who have Pollett cousins living with them, but George is 32, a confectioner and born Ashford Kent. They're in Gorton, Chorlton. RG12; Piece: 3172; Folio: 95; Page: 33;
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

It's an image from the 'Register of Baptisms', Pam. Baptism date July 19th 1893; written in the margin April 20th 1892. All baptisms on the page have a date of birth entered in the margin.
    I would normally look myself, but I'm pushed for time at the moment - but were any of the other children, especially the one entered in the PR before Florence born in 1892?

[/B]

Well that plan didn't work No sleep for me!

Here's the notes I'd taken earlier.

There is a baptism for Florence may whiteley in Manchester which says 1892 birth and 1893 baptism with parents George and sarah living at 11 charles street.
    The registration district for Newton Heath was Prestwich

POLLITT, FLORENCE MAY (no MMN, probably an illegitimate birth) -
    GRO Reference: 1892 J Quarter in PRESTWICH Volume 08D Page 377

Deaths Dec 1892
    Pollitt Sarah age 39 Prestwich 8d 254

The age at death would mean Sarah was quite a bit older than George!
    Nothing's impossible. A twig on one of hubby's branches had someone who married her first husband when she was 29 and he was 47. Widowed within eight years, she then married into the family when she was about 35 and the twig was about 20.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Hi Megan, Florence died in 1927 aged 34 of TB unfortunately- so her three kids didn't really know much about her either

Starting to feel at home

haha thanks for the welcome! yes I did omit that fact because over the years its proven to be a red herring... I think I came to the conclusion that he added it for a laugh? its a very unusual name if its real, but doesn't feature on the Census- I know that people put all sorts on the census including odd spellings and nicknames etc but there are no signs of that as a birth entry any where. either all of these people are off record or they're very well hidden and for a reason.. I wonder what they were hiding from!
    there is quite bizarrely a family in the south (when I was desperate and looking in Northants area etc) that has a George, Fanny, Florence and a George Watson but I think they're wheatley it was either 1901 or 1911 census because I remember thinking that Florence couldn't be in Manchester/Lincolnshire and Northampton at the same census.. but its a bit spooky to have the exact combination of people and I'm sure they were farmers!

Starting to feel at home

I think he was a gardener on one, and his father was a farmer, not sure I got labourer from one of the baptism records not the census. I forgot to mention that I don't think the family ever left England, not that i've ever been told anyway?! its not impossible i guess but the furthest ive traced them was Manchester, Lincolnshire, clethorpes and Grimsby (Florence was in west ham for a short spell as her husbands were navy and merchant navy) but that was when she was older.

Starting to feel at home

Dundee 10- the fathers occupation on the baptism is 'labourer'

Almach, Florence married twice first a William Armin, and then a Walter Lampey. yes she died as Lampey. I have her death cert in the house.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast