Loves to help with queries

Question McCormac/k Birth or Baptism

Hi everyone,

The only information I have for an ancestor is his name : Peter McCormac/k born c 1870 -1875, James Street Dublin with father James, not much I know but have tried all the usual avenues without success to locate birth or baptism and to make it even harder this guy married in Tullamore Co Offaly and spent most of his adult life in and out of jail for petty thieving, leaving his poor wife and child fending for themselves.
    Also would James Street be north or south Dublin, just to narrow searches down.

All pointers, suggestions welcome
    Tullamore

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Hi,,,how do you know he was born in James Street?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Thank you gortonboy,
    James Street,Dublin was recorded under place of birth on a couple of the prison entries and his father's
    name I got from his marriage entry.
    Tullamore

Famous for offering help & advice gortonboy's Avatar

Who did he marry? Did the marriage entry record the fathers occupation ? Do you have him in any census?
    Gortonboy. Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by gortonboy View Post
    Who did he marry? Did the marriage entry record the fathers occupation ? Do you have him in any census?
    Thank you for your reply,

Peter married Elizabeth (Lizzie) Brophy on 11th May 1898 in Tullamore,his occupation labourer,residence place Ballydaly,father given as James also a labourer
    Their son John McCormack was born in Tullamore Workhouse on 27th January 1899,his father recorded as Peter McC,dwelling place Dublin.
    1901 census, Lizzie and her son John with her Brophy family,Peter not found
    1911 census Lizzie and John on their own, again Peter not found
    I have Peter's 1914 WW1 short service pension record which gives his address as Barrack Street, Tullamore and next of kin Lizzie and John, no mention on this as to his place of birth, only his enlistment place, Birr.
    Other than this I can only find possible prison records which seem to be Peter (early 1900 to around 1920) on at least three later entries,place of birth is James Street, Dublin and on earlier entries just Tullamore or Dublin and he is often discribed as being of no fixed address.
    Lizzie only had the one child and I know for a fact that Peter was still alive post 1925 when his grandson was born as he was remembered by this grandson and spoken of but I have been unable to find a death record, so once again elusive.

Thank you for taking an interest, hopefully I can shed more light on my McCormack side with some help or suggestions as to how to proceed.

Regards Tullamore

Starting to feel at home

Hi Tullamore, to answer your last question, James's Street is in Dublins South inner city, a stones throw from the river Liffey which runs through the centre of the city. The Guinness brewery is located at St James's Gate just off James's Street. It might be worth looking at old Guinness employee records to see if your relatives worked there.

Famous for offering help & advice

Hi there
    I think James St was also the site of the old workhouse and infirmary, another possibility for his birthplace. The workhouse admission registers are on FMP.ie . I've only looked at the free index but haven't spotted his name so far.