Default Hickman Family -Oxfordshire

I am related to Mary Hickman born 1776 in the Stonesfield / Woodstock area ( She is my GGG Grandmother) She married my GGG Grandfather Daniel Smith in Stonesfield in 1798.
    Mary Hickman (Smith)
    Born 1776 - Possibly Stonesfield /Woodstock area
    Died 1839 age 63
    Daniel Smith
    Born 1771 Stonesfield
    Died 1845
    Daniel was listed as an Ag Lab in the 1841 census and living with -I presume -his son James Smith and James' wife Maria in Stonesfield. My connection is to another son William Smith- he is my GG Grandfather.Would appreciate any info you have on this - Would love to be in touch with my Hickman relatives !

There is this baptism on ancestry
    Mary Hickman
    Baptised 3 June 1776
    At Stonesfield, Oxfordshire
    Father Robert Hickman
    Mother Lydia Hickman
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank You so much Christina - Another piece of the puzzle !

janbooth

There is no baptism for a Daniel SMITH at Stonesfield c1771 but there is a baptism there on 23 May 1756 for a Daniel son of John & Mary SMITH. There are then no SMITH baptisms at Stonesfield until a William son of John & Mary SMITH was privately baptised there in August 1785. Daniel SMITH was buried at Stonesfield on 24 January 1845, aged 82, according to the parish register, so it may well be that his age given in the 1841 census is way out.

Robert HICKMAN married Lydia HOUNSLOW at Stonesfield on 26 April 1773, both were unmarried and of the parish. Robert signed, Lydia made her mark and the witnesses were Mary MILLEN & Dolly LORD who both signed.

If you can access Ancestry, which is often available at your local Library, they hold a large number of Oxfordshire parish register images, including those of Stonesfield, so you should hopefully be able to trace your ancestors back using these.

Janet

Thank you Jan , The Smiths and Hickmans are very confusing ! I will take out a subscription to Ancestry and also go to the OFHS event in Woodstock this October. I know that my GGG Grandparents are William Smith , b1805 Stonesfield ,died 1868. and Sarah Stone , b 1810 Stonesfield died approx 1891? Their son Frances G Smth b 1850 is my GG Grandfather.I thought William's parents were Daniel Smith and Mary (Hickman)but I need to do more detective work . Penelope

janbooth

You are correct re William SMITH's parents, Penelope. Baptism at Stonesfield on 1 January 1804 for Willm son of Danl SMITH & Mary his wife. No other baptisms to this couple at Stonesfield that I can find. Daniel SMITH of the parish of Stonesfield, bachelor, & Mary HICKMAN of the same, spinster, married at Stonesfield on 5 November 1798. Both made their mark & the witnesses were George HEWES, Lucy HOUNSLOW & Ann BLUNT. Sarah STONE baptised 11 February 1810 at Stonesfield, parents John & Martha STONE. There is a death registration for a Sarah SMITH in September qtr 1890 at Woodstock reg district (includes the parish of Stonesfield), aged 81, which could be relevant to you. Parish register images for Stonesfield burials on Ancestry only go up to 1878.

Janet

Thank You Janet - I looked through my notes and saw that I had Daniel Smith born 20th Jan. 1771 Churchill, baptised Churchill 1771/72 .This of course could be the wrong Daniel - I'll keep on digging . Penelope

janbooth

I, too, at first thought this could be your Daniel, Penelope, but his burial record at Stonesfield suggests he was born much earlier than 1771 and there is a marriage at Churchill for a Daniel SMITH to an Elizabeth BUDD on 26 November 1798 which is likely to be the marriage of the Daniel born in 1771.

Janet