Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thomas Burke - County Galway

Hi All
    I'm looking to find some information about my Grandfather. This name was Thomas Burke, date of birth on death certificate is 6th August 1885, date of birth from his army discharge records is 7th August 1883. He married a Mary Allen 1st June 1918 in Whitwick Leicestershire. The only information I can about his earlier life is he was from Tuam Galway. Galway is confirmed with his army discharge document. I cannot find a Thomas Burke using either date from County Galway. Does anyone have any information about him and his life in Ireland. I understand he left at an early age to work as a miner near Whitwick. I'm really after his mothers name. Other info i have is his Fathers name is Patrick and after the war he went to live in Forest Town, Nottinghamshire where he stayed till he died in 1970.
    Any help at all would be much appreciated
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum, Mike. I'm sure that someone with ideas about irish genealogy will be along.

People were a lot more fuzzy about dates back then - I'd be checking a year or two either side of his declared date.
    Was he still in the army when he married? Does the marriage certificate give his regiment?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,
    thanks for the reply. I have checked a year either side but as you say ill try for 2 years and see what that shows up within the two years of different birth dates I have I have found about 6 possible matches however without his mothers name I really cant be sure at the moment.
    Yes his marriage cert shows this army details. From this ive got hold of his Discharge document.... while it gives a lot of interesting information there is a cross through the part where it should have shown his parents names. I have a letter going to Wellington Barracks requesting his Service record that will be in the post tomorrow however I am aware this could take some time before I get this information back.
    Meanwhile I'm just hoping someone knows of his brothers or sisters (assuming he has any) or parents and might be able to help out with there names
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I would like to add that the possible matches only show his fathers name as Patrick and birthdates within the two year period. No exact date match

Thomas, wife and children are on Findmypasts 1939 register. His birth year 1885. I can't give you more details because of FMP's terms and conditions. I wonder if he wanted to appear closer to his wife's age although in the scheme of things a couple of years isn't much.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi christanel, thanks for doing the search. I got hold of that information a few days ago, yes that confirms his birth date to be the same as on his death certificate. Only the Discharge document from the army shows it being a couple of years earlier.
    Mike

If he was in the army during WW1,unless he served past 1921, any surviving service record should be online at one or more of the commercial databases. However, over60% of such records were destroyed during WW2.

To help, we'd need his service number and regiment.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley,
    I only have his Discharge Document his number is 13110, he was in the 5th Irish Guards. Enlisted 6th May 1918 and transferred to reserve 12th January 1919.
    Thanks for the help,
    Mike

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by mikeburke View Post
    Hi Lesley,
    I only have his Discharge Document his number is 13110
    Are you sure that number isn't 10131?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/D1598045

I can't see him in Leicestershire in 1901 or 1911.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Dundee10
    I'm very sure his number was 13110 as I have his discharge document. Its also on his marriage certificate. In 1901 and 1911 census I cant be sure which Thomas Burke is living where as I don't have the history of addresses before he came to England. He could have been in Ireland or England at that time but I am lead to believe he ran away from Ireland from a very early age. In 1939 he is on a household register with his wife and children.
    Thanks Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast