Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    BernieFD

Default Cath Shields 1823

New Thread, I am researching my Mother's family in Australia , her Grandparents came from England and Ireland. and I would appreciate some help from the Forum who have helped so much with my Donnelly research over the past few years.

My Mother's name was Kathleen Florence Donnelly (born Street) in Melbourne Australia in 1908. Her father was Patrick James Street Born 1869 , in Melbourne Australia son of Charles Thomas (Traloney ) Street born Weymouth Dorset about 1815. He came to Australia about 1849/50 , settled in Potland Victoria where he married Catherine Shields in 1851.

This is where the confusion starts!! Catherine Shields was born in Aboghill Ireland 1n 1823 but her parents name was apparently Boyd. I don't know if she (Catherine ) was widowed when married 1n Australia in 1851 or was adopted by the Boyd or ,Shields families!! The only other information I have is the Boyd family were possibly from Scotland!! I believe there is no doubt a solution to this riddle and hope some of the excellent researchers in the Forum can help me.

Kind regards Bernie Donnelly Australia.

Hello Bernie
    Why do you think/know that Catherine Shields' father's name was Boyd. On what document does it say this?
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

BernieFD

Hi Christina, thank you, I don't have much to go on , I am not certain where the info came from . My research is only based on info I was given many years ago and it just shows up when I look at the marriage of Charles to Catherine.in 1851 .I have never attempted to get a copy of the marriage certificate.

Would the details of her birth be a better way to try and solve the problem. I am fairly sure that her birth details are correct born 1823 1n Aboghill Antrim Northern Ireland . Would it be possible for the Forum researchers to check those details.

Thanks for your help , Regards Bernie.

Hi
    First of all I have moved this subject to a thread of its own to the General Irish Family History forum.
    Please note that I have given it the title Cath Shields b1823. I have done this because the marriage and death records I have found for her give her first name as Cath not Catherine. it is the same for her mother's name on Cath jnr's death reg also. This may make a difference when searching for her. it may have been assumed by previous researchers that Cath was short for Catherine but that may not be so and us assuming it is could take us down the wrong family line.
    Another question - where did the information come from that Cath/erine was born in Aboghill Ireland.
    And in answer to your question about trying to find Cath/erine's birth and solve the problem that way - that is not how genealogy works. We have to work backwards so the first certificate to purchase would be Cath Street's death certificate and hope that it gives her marriage/s, and how long in the colony or indeed if she was also born in Australia. The marriage certificate is also another to purchase, These are a bit hit and miss with the information they contain but you will not know until you have it.
    Having all the information contained in these two certificates will help us move back to Cath/erine's parents more confidently.

I see that Cath Shields father's name is given as Boyd Danl on the transcription of her death registration.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

janbooth

There is a New South Wales Assisted Immigrant Passenger List record for ship "Cornwall" which departed from Plymouth and arrived at Port Phillip Bay on 11 August 1848 1848 as follows:

Catherine SHIELDS aged 24 House & Dairy Maid Native place: Antrim Religion: Roman Catholic Read only

Australian Electoral Roll record for 1903 wherein a Catherine STREET is living at 120 Lord Street, Richmond, Victoria, performing home duties.

Now this may be totally unconnected, but the father's forename jumped out at me. Baptism at Dromore, Co Down on 16 March 1825 of a Catherine daughter of Daniel SHIELDS & Mager? Subsequent baptisms for other children at Dromore, i.e. John 1826, Elizabeth 1829 & Denis 1832, show the mother to be Margaret MAGER and there is a marriage at Dromore in 1822 between Daniel SHIELDS & Margaret MAGER. All of these records are available to view via Ancestry.

Ah, now could this 1851 census record of Antrim be relevant, given that the Passenger List record for Catherine SHIELDS showed her to be of Antrim:

Charlotte Street, Antrim, lists a household with, amongst others resident there, a Daniel SHIELDS, 13, & a John SHIELDS, 18.

However, as Christina has said in the post above, anything we find at the moment is speculation until you have purchased death & marriage certificates.

Janet

BernieFD

Thanks Janet , I don.t know if you are able to see the information I obtained from the Internet and sent to Christina , it shows all the detail I have about Catherine and Charles (Taloney) Street. The most confusing thing is the actual maiden name of Catherine as have 2 lots of info BOYD and SHIELDS .

I will wait until tomorrow as it is getting late here in Melbourne and I can hopefully send you the same information

Regards, Bernie, Australia.

BernieFD

Hi Christina thank you . Did you receive the email I sent to you yesterday with extracts from the Heritage site which show all the information I found on the Internet about Catherine Shields and Charles(Taloney) Street.. I sent it by email because I did not know if I could send it as a reply to a thread.

If you did not get it I will try and see if I can send a thread reply.

Regards, Bernie

BernieFD

HI Janet, thanks for your help so far , I am sure there is still a lot to sort out.

I am enclosing a copy of the details about Catherine Shields I sent to Christina. I have not heard back from her , because she may not have received the email. I hope this information may help to identify some of the queries in your thread, please let me know what you think.

Hi Christina, I am sending some info I obtained from the internet which may ,I hope ,help to sort out some of the queries you had about the information I had concerning Catherine Shields.

I am fairly confident I have the correct person , but do not know who her parents were.
    The chances are that the marriage and death certificate may show her parents to be Boyd, ( or Shields) but why is she known as Shields?!!!

I am confused, Regards Bernie.

Catherine Street (born Shields), 1823 - 1906 Catherine Street (born Shields) was born in 1823, at birth place, to Daniel Boyd and Catherine Boyd.
    Catherine married Charles Taloney Street on month day 1851, at age 28 at marriage place.
    Charles was born in 1816, in Weymouth, Dorset, England.
    His occupation was Confectioner and Miner (Campbell's Creek, Victoria, Australia).
    They had 9 children: Mary Jane Fitzpatrick (born Street), John Thomas Street and 7 other children.
    Catherine passed away of cause of death on month day 1906, at age 83 at death place.
    She was buried at burial place.

Charles Taloney Street, 1816 - 1871
    Charles Taloney Street was born in 1816, at birth place, to James Street and Mary Street.
    James was born in 1785, in Weymouth, Dorset, England.
    Mary was born in 1779.
    Charles had 4 siblings: Sara Street and 3 other siblings.
    Charles married Catherine Street (born Shields) on month day 1851, at age 35 at marriage place.
    Catherine was born in 1823, in Ahoghill, County Antrim, Ireland.
    They had 9 children: Mary Jane Fitzpatrick (born Street), John Thomas Street and 7 other children.
    His occupation was occupation.
    Charles passed away of cause of death on month day 1871, at age 55 at death place.
    He was buried at burial place.

Janet I hope this gets through to you alright, If Catherine was Born BOYD was she adopted or did she just change her name to Shields. Maybe she lived with a Shields Family.!!;

Regards Bernie , Australia.

Hello bernie
    As long as you keep posting your answers on this thread we can all see what you have posted just as you can see what we have posted.
    I am still of the opinion that it is essential that you purchase both the death and marriage certificates of Catherine Shields.
    This is the site where you can order them online https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/famil...amily+history/

Just at the moment it seems they are doing maintenance so there is no access to records. I saw both the marriage and death certificate index yesterday and it also looks as if they have a facility to pay and download the images online. So quick

Just another thought - as spelling of names wasn't so precise back then Shields may also be Shiels and other variations.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

BernieFD

Hi Christina, thank you , I have also posted the information I sent to you as a thread.!!
    I believe my cousin may be researching the family so I will contact him to see if maybe he has the relevant certificates

I will keep you updated when I hear some more,

Regards Bernie.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast