Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BernieFD

Hi Christina , It's me again.

I think I have found the solution to the Catherine Shields problem !!.

On the MY Heritage site in Australia I found that Catherine was born to Daniel and (not sure) possibly Catherine BOYD in Ahoghill

Antrim Northern Ireland in1823 She was apparently brought up by her Aunt , SHIELDS no Christian name, after her mother died .

No more information on that. She no doubt just continued to use the Shields name later in life!!

Is it possible to get the actual details of her parents Daniel and Possibly Catherine Boyd..?

I have some more information regarding Charles Taloney Street, but that can wait for a separate post.

I am really grateful to both you and Janet for all the help so far and look forward to continuing our association.

Regards, Bernie, Australia .

Knowledgeable and helpful

Don't believe everything you read on MyHeritage - they've made a fine mess of some of my relatives' records

janbooth

Well, I am having no luck finding any likely records at all, Bernie, on FMP, Ancestry or Family Search. No likely marriage of a Daniel BOYD to a Catherine, nor one of a Daniel SHIELDS, or variants, to a Catherine BOYD. No baptism of a Catherine at Ahoghill 1820-1830 either. No likely burial in Antrim for a Catherine BOYD or SHIELDS 20 years either side of 1835.

I do think the only way you are going to progress is to buy Catherine's death and marriage certificates. At the moment, all you have is transcribed information, so we do not know if Catherine's father is a BOYD or a SHIELDS nor the name of her mother which makes searching for her with any certainty nigh on impossible.

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 01-07-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Extra text

BernieFD

Thank you Janet , I will proceed to get the certificates,

Regards Bernie.

Dundee10

Civil registration of births, deaths and marriages started in July 1853 in Victoria so any records prior to that are just church records. Charles and Catherine married in 1851 in All Saints Catholic Church, Portland. Not a lot of useful information, no ages or marital status recorded. It has already been uploaded to a family tree.

https://s24.postimg.org/5yd4i76wl/Street_Shields.jpg

There was an inquest into Charles' death in 1871 and you can see the digitised deposition here:

https://www.prov.vic.gov.au/explore-...ths-deposition

Just put the name Charles Puloney STREETS into the first search box as that is how the name is indexed. Follow the links from there. It is very difficult to read and this news item pretty much says the same thing:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/203014322

Last column, towards the bottom.

Catherine deposed that she believed him to be about 50 years of age which would give an approximate year of birth as 1821. If you want to challenge that year of birth you would need to find supporting evidence such as a child's birth certificate where he is the informant and he has stated his age. It is always a good idea to get the birth certificate for the last born child as you will also get information on previous issue of the marriage.

If you have a look at the Victoria indexes for the births and deaths of Charles' children I think it is fairly easy to determine that the middle name should be 'Trelawney' - Taloney sounds like a name made up or misunderstood by someone, probably Catherine. She was semi-literate, could read but not write, though she had a fair go at signing her name to her deposition at the inquest.

BernieFD

Dundee, thank you so much for that information, I have been researching for a few years and the name Trelawney just does not appear anywhere so I have resorted to using Taloney., it seems to get some reaction. I know that, he, Charles and Catherine had a large family . My Grandfather Patrick James was the last one born.
    You have given me a good lot of info to follow up

Thanks Again Bernie.

Dundee10

The church registers for Ahoghill only start in 1833 so if Catherine was baptised there around 1822 there will be no record unless you can find that any earlier registers do exist.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0381

Death certificates are the least reliable documents. Catherine married as SHIELDS and whoever registered the births of her children believed her maiden surname to be SHIELDS. It would be interesting to see who the informant was when she died.

Catherine's death notice is here:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/9640290

BernieFD

Thanks again. I did look up the death and sure it is hard to read but managed.
    You will notice from an earlier post that I believe Catherine was born Boyd in 1823, and brought up by her aunt, Shields , no Christian name, after her mother died,. so it seems that she just took the name, Shields, for the rest of her life.

It has been an interesting exercise so far and who knows what will finally turn up

Bernie Victoria .

BernieFD

Hi Dundee, I see your point about the name Trelawney and ( TALONEY being a made up name (posts 15 and 16 ) so I went looking for Trelawney in a general search and found on WEBTREES a whole lot of information about Major General Charles Trelawney Cornwall/ Devon 1653 -1731 with a lot of information about other family members.

It is possible that my Charles may in fact be a descendant. Is it worth following up??
    Last edited by BernieFD; 03-07-2017 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Add sone post details

BernieFD

Hi Dundee , I am sorry that I forgot to sign my last post,

Regards, Bernie Donnelly , Victoria , Australia.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast