Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Settling in

Default Help needed with death record.

Hi I am seeking help with Percival William Ashburner born 22/8/1897 to Albert Ashburner and Emily Harriet Lewis in Herefordshire England. I have full details of Percival until his divorce from his wife Mildred Louise Ashburner nee Libby 20/6/1925 Ontario Canada. I have been trying to find his death for ages. Now I have found a tree on Ancestry of a Percival William Campbell born 22/8/1897 England died 10/2/1966. Address 5706 Avry Avenue Lakewood. Wife Mary Lee sons Bart Campbell Ronald Odom ( One of his wife's married names was Odom ) daughter Margaret Campbell and sister Margaret Bartell. Percival Ashburners sister was Margaret Ashburner born 1899 England. I have found a California death index for Percival W Campbell. s/s 563162641 with mothers maiden name Lewis. I did contact the tree owner but they did not have proof that both men were the same. I was just hoping some one might be able to help me. Thank you for taking the time to read this.
    Dorothy

janbooth

He certainly is very elusive, isn't he. I can find his birth registration in December 1897 in Herefordshire, his marriage in Ontario in 1921 and the 1911 census record for him in Ontario where he is living with his parents. On this census record it states he is aged 14 and his birthday is in August 1898, although given that he is aged 14 it makes his birth year 1897. Then as you say, he completely disappears. We then have Percival W CAMPBELL who turns up in the California Death Index, birthdate shown as 22 August 1897 mother's maiden name LEWIS, who died in 1966 in Los Angeles. These details certainly correspond with those of Percival W ASHBURNER. There is a Margaret ASHBURNER who appears on the US Border Crossings from Canada to US for April 1922, aged 22, single, last permanent address Toronto, Ontario, intended destination Oakland, California. In the nearest relative column it shows the name Mrs Ma(r)y McCARTHY, 231 Ispadina? Avenue, Toronto, but I cannot decipher what relation she is supposed to be unfortunately.

Will investigate further.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    In the nearest relative column it shows the name Mrs Ma(r)y McCARTHY, 231 Ispadina? Avenue, Toronto, but I cannot decipher what relation she is supposed to be unfortunately.
    I read it as Frd, short for friend perhaps. Address is 231 Spadina Avenue.

janbooth

Thanks Mona - it's obvious when somebody deciphers it for you, isn't it!

Dorothy, I don't know whether you already have border crossings from Canada to USA for Albert ASHBURNER. arrived March 1904 at Niagara Falls, New York, aged 30, married, Engineer, of Toronto, Ontario, final destination Buffalo New Jersey, going to uncle Wm KEMPER, Mittag Road, Buffalo. There is also one for Emily H ASHBURNER, aged 36, married, Housekeeper, last permanent residence Toronto, dated April 1911, nearest relative sister Florence LEWIS of Toronto, Ontario, final destination Detroit, Michigan. Another record dated 24 December 1921, wherein Emily ASHBURNER, aged 45, widow from Toronto, Ontario, nearest relative son Percival ASHBURNER, 805 West Bloor Street, Toronto, Ontario, arrived at Detroit Michigan, final destination Oakland, California.

So far so good, but then I lose track of both Margaret & her mother Emily. They both give their final destination as Oakland but I cannot find them in California, nor anywhere in US census records, marriage records or death/burial records.

Janet

Settling in

Janet thank you so much for taking time to help me. I have looked into Florence Lewis born 1876 sister to Emily arriving Dec 1909 port of arrival Detroit Michigan USA. Florence is traveling with William Bain, Emily Bain Percival W Bain age 12 and Margaret M Bain age 11. The next of kin for all travelers is Elizabeth Lewis mother of Emily and Florence 24 Brook Street Darwen Lancashire. You have given me plenty to think about. I think maybe there is is an error with the transcription as the family are together in 1911. Thank you again I will keep pressing on
    regards Dorothy

janbooth

I'm not sure I have been much help, Dorothy, but it definitely looks as if the Detroit records have been written incorrectly doesn't it and why is Albert shown as William - very strange! The only entry that is correct is the one for Florence LEWIS. The 1911 census of Darwen, Lancashire, shows Elizabeth LEWIS, 59, widow, born Bromyard, living at 24 Brook Street with unmarried children Ernest Charles, Mary & George Edward plus grandson Albert ASHURNER. I wonder why Albert did not go with his parents.

Albert aka William BAIN shows that his nearest relative in Canada is his aunt Agnes FLEMING 162 Amelia Street. Not having too much luck tracing her either.

Janet

Settling in

Hi Janet you have been very helpful by mentioning Florence so I went looking into her. I have found a 1930 census with a Berry W Ashburner with William and Emily Campbell Brighton Avene Los Angeles he is adopted son. Looking at the record it looks like the name is Percy. Emily did not emigrate with Albert and I wonder about the son she left home with her mother I wonder if it was her husbands son as it seems strange to go off and leave your baby. I think I might have found Margaret she might have married Herbert L Bartlett 29/11/1892-14/6/1947. So thanks to you I am so much further in my search.
    Regards Dirothy

janbooth

Glad to be of help. It sounds as if Margaret BARTLETT may be the Margaret BARTELL mentioned as Percival W CAMPBELL's sister, doesn't it. The ASHBURNERs are pretty difficult to trace in earlier census records. I can find Albert in the 1881 census of Hereford living with parents William & Margaret & siblings in Hereford. All their children are supposedly born in Hereford according to census records but I cannot find any birth registrations for them on the GRO Index - I was trying to find mother Margaret's maiden name via the GRO Indices. Nor can I find a marriage with any certainty between William & Margaret. He is single in the 1861 census of Hereford and judging by the age of their first child in the 1871 census, he should have married soon after that.

William ASHBURNER's parents look to have been George ASHBURNER & Ann MEREDITH. They married at Chepstow, Monmouthshire in 1815 and had two children baptised there Thomas in 1816 and Edwin George in 1817. FindmyPast (a pay per view site) have the actual parish register images of these 3 events. Daughter Jane then baptised in 1819 at Letton, Herefordshire followed by a Henry at Hereford in 1821 and an Elizabeth in 1822 - then nothing. Oh, this is interesting. 1841 census of Hereford St Martin (very faint & indistinct) but shows George & Ann ASHBURNER plus children Elizabeth, Edwin G & Henry, then what looks like a Robert ? aged 2 months and a William HARRIS aged 3 - no sign of a son William ASHBURNER. However, by the 1861 census of Hereford, Ann ASHBOURNER is a widow and amongst the household is daughter & son in law Jean & William HARGEST & son William ASHBOURNER aged 23 born Hereford. William ASHBURNER states that he is born in Ross Herefordshire in subsequent census records and there is a birth registration in the December qtr 1838 at Ross reg district of a William HARRIS, no mother's maiden name shown, so I wonder if the ASHBURNERs adopted William HARRIS as their son. I wish I could find the 1851 census for the family but it does not appear on either FMP or Ancestry, so perhaps it is one of those that is missing.

William ASHBURNER's Railway Employment record, available to view on Ancestry, states that he was born on 1 October 1838 and resigned in September 1908. His dob does fit with the birth registration of William HARRIS. None of which connects with your original query and you may already have this information, in which case do ignore my meanderings as I have become quite fascinated by the lack of information as regards the ASHBURNER family. Ah just found the marriage between William Ashburner HARRIS, father Thomas ASHBURNER, & Margaret WILLIAMS, father John WILLIAMS, at St Martin Hereford on 24 June 1861 and the subsequent birth registrations of their children under the surname HARRIS.

However, going back to your original query, there do seem to be quite a few coincidences between Percival W ASHBURNER & Percival W CAMPBELL but it is proving it that is the difficulty isn't it. Just looked at the 1930 census record you mention and it is definitely Percy W ASHBURNER and he is shown as the stepson of William CAMPBELL & wife Emily, so it would appear that Emily ASHBURNER nee LEWIS married William CAMPBELL sometime after she came across the border into the USA. I think we have just proved that the 2 Percival W's are one and the same. Marriage on 20 December 1922 at Los Angeles between William CAMPBELL, parents John CAMPBELL & Isobel McDONALD, & Emily ASHBURNER, Parents William LEWIS & Elizabeth PRICE - source IGI Family Search.

See what you think anyway.

Janet

janbooth

Forgot to say, Dorothy, that the actual Marriage License & Certificate record can be viewed via Family Search and it does show that Emily ASHBURNER was aged 47 and a widow.

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Another possible family link and going of at a tangent and having come to the same conclusion as Janet, I looked at Albert Ashburner b 1901 died 2006
    First thought news article, these are unlikely to be on line,

Albert Alfred H Ashburner
    Birth Date 11 Sep 1901
    Date of Registration:
    Mar 2006
    Age at Death 104
    Registration district:
    Blkbn Wt Dar Inferred County Lancashire

next 1939 Register

He had a daughter Margaret M born 1927
    Births Sep 1927 Ashburner Margaret M H mmn Taylor Blackburn 8e 517

married Margaret M H Ashburner
    Norman I Barfoot
    Marriage Jun 1960 - Darwen, Lancashire

www.lan-opc.org.uk/
    issue Baptism: 23 Aug 1964 St Cuthbert, Darwen, Lancashire, England
    Brian Norman Barfoot - [Child] of Norman Ignatius Barfoot & Margaret Mary Harris
    Godparents: Brian Edmund Barfoot; Derek H. Ashburner; Carolyn Barfoot
    Baptised by: A. E. Bland
    Register: Baptisms 1958 - 1972, Page 41, Entry 365
    Source: Original Parish Register

deceasedonline
    .com a paygo site
    death 9 Nov 1993
    Barfoot Margaret Mary
    Cremation date 12 November 1993
    Location Lancashire

and twins who are recorded
    Burial or Cremation Date:
    31 Oct 1931
    Albert H(arris) Ashburner
    Joyce Harris Ashburner
    Mother's Maiden Surname:
    Taylor
    Date of Registration:
    Oct-Nov-Dec 1931
    Registration district:
    Blackburn
    Inferred County:
    Lancashire
    Volume Number:
    8e
    Page Number:

and possiibly ( see baptism 1964)
    Births Jun 1936
    ASHBURNER Derek H mmn Taylor Blackburn 8e 449

check freebmd.org.uk
    The current address of several of the above can be found on the electoral register and are readily recognisable

Betsy Lewis is still alive in 1939

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast