Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    janbooth

Wow, he lived to a good age didn't he Jean. Over to Dorothy now, I think, so will wait for her response.

Janet

Settling in

WOW you have been working hard for me. I will write this as I have written it for you so you can understand the family. William )Ashburner) Harris born 1/10/1838 Ross his mother was unmarried Ann Harris. William married Margaret Williams 7/4/161 St Martin Hereford using the name Ashburner Harris so until 1881 the basically used that name. Albert Alfred Harris Ashburner 2006 Lancashire born 11 Sept 1901 is the son Albert and Emily left with her parents when they went to Canada. On to William Campbell while looking for his marriage to Emily I found a record above for 4/12/1936 where he is marring for the 2nd time stating he is a widower. Parents the same. Thank you once again for your help I'm sure this is my Emily as the parents are correct.
    Regards Dorothy

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thank you for getting back to us and filling the gaps/questions I had, certainly thought |I was losing the plot at one point.

Jean

Settling in

Thank you for you help this is the right family but this Albert Alfred Harris Ashburner is the son that was left with his grandparents when his family emigrated. I do wonder what was behind that decision seems very strange thing to do.
    Thank you from Dorothy

janbooth

Glad to be of any help, Dorothy, and the research does seem to fit in with what you already had. The best bit is that it looks as if we have found the connection between Percival William ASHBURNER & Percival William CAMPBELL and that they are almost certainly one and the same. It is interesting that Albert & Emily left son Albert behind, but then I discovered during the course of researching my mother's line after her death that she had a half brother who nobody else in the family seemed to know anything about and by the time I discovered his existence, Mum had died as had her 2 brothers, so there was nobody to ask. However she never mentioned him and he remained living with his grandmother until in due course he moved away and married. He didn't die until the 1980's, so if they were in touch I am sure I would remember and his name certainly wasn't in Mum's address book. A similar thing happened in my Dad's line too. The eldest child went to live with grandparents as a young child and never returned to live with her actual parents. Just goes to show that times and attitudes have changed considerably.

Janet

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    There is a Margaret ASHBURNER who appears on the US Border Crossings from Canada to US for April 1922, aged 22, single, last permanent address Toronto, Ontario, intended destination Oakland, California. In the nearest relative column it shows the name Mrs Ma(r)y McCARTHY, 231 Ispadina? Avenue, Toronto, but I cannot decipher what relation she is supposed to be unfortunately.

Will investigate further.

Janet
    Did you check page 2 of the record that identifies the person that Margaret intended joining and address?

Is the "Mo" short for Mother?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

No I didn't and my only excuse is that I have had a lot of difficulty accessing Ancestry since I posted about Margaret. It had been dropping in and out for several days and records I had accessed before no longer seemed available so I became totally frustrated & then sidetracked by those I could access properly and completely forgot about Margaret - mea culpa. But I have just looked at the border crossing record again and you are definitely correct in that it looks as if Margaret is going to her mother (Mo) Emily ASHBURNER, 4145? E 16th Street, Oakland, Cal.

Janet

Settling in

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    I'm not sure I have been much help, Dorothy, but it definitely looks as if the Detroit records have been written incorrectly doesn't it and why is Albert shown as William - very strange! The only entry that is correct is the one for Florence LEWIS. The 1911 census of Darwen, Lancashire, shows Elizabeth LEWIS, 59, widow, born Bromyard, living at 24 Brook Street with unmarried children Ernest Charles, Mary & George Edward plus grandson Albert ASHURNER. I wonder why Albert did not go with his parents.

Albert aka William BAIN shows that his nearest relative in Canada is his aunt Agnes FLEMING 162 Amelia Street. Not having too much luck tracing her either.

Janet
    Hi Janet I thought I would update you on my search. William Bain was not Albert Ashburner. I have tracked William Bain back to his family in Scotland. When he married in 1913 Toronto his brother George was witness. It would appear he just left his marriage when he joined up for WW1 service as he states he is single. His wife Jeanette divorced him for desertion 27/8/1920. I cannot find a marriage for Emily to William Bain wonder if they just ran off together. From reading his attestation papers William was quite a lad. Regards from Dorothy

janbooth

Thanks for the update Dotti. At least you have managed to prove William BAIN is not Albert which is a plus. Good luck with the rest of your research and if you need further help, do post again.

Janet

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12