Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default ANOTHER QUESTION, RE: HENRY SPENCER OF THORP

IN A FORMER POSTING WHERE I WAS INQUIRING of info on Henry Spencer, Esq. c. 1700s of Thorpe, who married a Miss Ann LEIGH, there was a discussion about the names below ....and now re-reading the below text (in quotes, underneath here) it has brought to mind another LARGE Question (see that question beneath the quoted text, (from the kind post of Pam Downes!!!-thank you!!!):

"Tabitha baptised 1748 is indeed a sister to Henry. Henry baptised 1745 in East Dereham, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth. In the index to East Dereham baptisms on FamilySearch Norfolk parish registers (page 131), the children of Thomas and Elizabeth are listed as Henry 1744 (I assumed he died), Henry 1745, Ann 1747, Tabitha 1748, Elizabeth 1750, Mary 1752, Thomas 1754, (I assumed he died as well), Thomas 1756."

NOW the QUESTION is....in the above sentences.... Tabitha is stated as sister to Henry, then Henry shown as son of Thomas & Elizabeth Spencer.

My question is....are we speaking of the Henry Spencer, Esq., originally of Norfolk, then on to Thorpe, Surrey, b. c. early 1700s--is it THAT Henry whose parents are Thomas & Elizabeth??? As THAT is one of the great Mysteries I've been trying to resolve--i.e.- Who ARE Henry Spencer (who marries Ann Leigh)'s PARENTS?!! : )

Grateful for any explanation of the above!! Many thanks, Vienna Spencer

hilarykellis

Hi Vienna,

If you can find a will for Thomas Spencer or for Henry Spencer, Esq (please forgive me if you already have looked), you may be able to confirm that this Thomas Spencer is the father of your Henry.

Some of the gentry also have recorded pedigrees in heraldry and similar books. Have you tried searching Google Books for Henry Spencer Esq of Thorpe?

Starting to feel at home

Default Thank you Hilary Kellis!

Great Ideas, Hilary---many thanks---I will attempt a look at those mentioned options!!

Take Care,

Vienna (Spencer)

Quote Originally Posted by hilarykellis View Post
    Hi Vienna,

If you can find a will for Thomas Spencer or for Henry Spencer, Esq (please forgive me if you already have looked), you may be able to confirm that this Thomas Spencer is the father of your Henry.

Some of the gentry also have recorded pedigrees in heraldry and similar books. Have you tried searching Google Books for Henry Spencer Esq of Thorpe?

I assume that the other thread mentioned in message 1 is the one HERE.
    Since, to prevent duplication of effort, we don't allow more than one active thread on the same family, I have closed the other one, but note that there's a lot of info there.

Starting to feel at home

Default Thank you!

Thanks for letting me know the below----will post in same 1 thread, from now on.
    Vienna

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    I assume that the other thread mentioned in message 1 is the one HERE.
    Since, to prevent duplication of effort, we don't allow more than one active thread on the same family, I have closed the other one, but note that there's a lot of info there.

The earliest I can spot a Henry Spencer in Thorpe is -

Poll for the Knights of the Shire of the County of Surrey. Taken at Guildford in the said County the 30th day of May 1705

GODLEY HUNDRED
    Freeholder's Name and Place of Freehold - Henry Spencer
    Place of Abode - Thorpe
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Your closed post has Anne Spencer inheriting her uncle's property. The paragraph headed "MANORS" in the link below refers to " ... Sir John Leigh .... Mary and Anne, his cousins ..."

https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch...vol3/pp437-440

Re. post 6#, there's a 1721 burial for a Henry Spencer at Thorpe.

"A general abridgement of law and equity alphabetically digested under proper titles with notes and references to the whole"
    Author Charles Viner, published 1747
    NAMES OF SUBSCRIBERS
    Mr Henry Spencer of Thorpe Place in Surry (sic)

Edward Wedlake Brayley in his "A topographical History of Surrey - Vol IV, published 1850" (google books ) identifies the link between Ann Leigh and Thorpe -

" ... built the mansion called Addington - Place in 1544; ... the manor descended to Sir John Leigh ...; and a will which he made in favour of the relations of his second wife being set aside, his estates by a decree of the Lords in 1744, were given to Mrs Bennett and Mrs Spencer, the daughters of his uncle, Woolley Leigh, Esq"

Addington, plus other property, was assigned to Mrs Spencer in January 1768. In the same month she and her eldest son, Woolley Leigh Spencer, sold it for £38,500.

A Woolley Leigh had a Mary baptised 1708 and an Ann 1710 at Old Catton, Norfolk (given names as appear in the British History online item).

Starting to feel at home

Default ON YOUR "HENRY of Thorpe" FINDS!!

YOU ARE WONDERFUL! Many thanks for your deep digging & finding these intriguing bits!!! "Slow and Steady" INDEED Does "Win the Race!!" ...oh i see more posts from you... so will be replying to you again, momentarily! Vienna

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    The earliest I can spot a Henry Spencer in Thorpe is -

Poll for the Knights of the Shire of the County of Surrey. Taken at Guildford in the said County the 30th day of May 1705

GODLEY HUNDRED
    Freeholder's Name and Place of Freehold - Henry Spencer
    Place of Abode - Thorpe

Starting to feel at home

Even though I did know about Ann getting her Thorpe property from her uncle's relation, I did Not know of her baptism in 1710 in Norfolk, which helps explain how she & her future husband (Henry Spencer) were able to meet, both being From Norfolk, & Not Thorpe (Surrey), which they go to later, together, once Ann inherited the land, there! So thank you again, VERY Much, for this info! Take Care, Vienna Spencer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast