Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: oconnor=ayres

Settling in

Think this must b the William Henry born in hayton Boughton. ....though not sure how i can tell

Name well known on Brit-Gen

William Henry Ayres b 1874 died 1897 according to the Burial register was of Nelson St

1891 has the following at Nelson Street
    RG12; Piece: 1169; Folio: 110; Page: 21;
    William R Aures 49 Leather Dresser
    Elizabeth Aures 46
    William H Aures 17 Grocers Porter born Manchester

How did you connect William O'Connor to WH Ayres of Manchester?

What occupation is given for William's father on the marriage certificate, and who were the witnesses?
    Alma

Settling in

Maybe a novices approach. ...all i did was use info i had....skant info tbh
    1874....William ayers. ..father william....born Manchester

Settling in

Fathers occupation .......labourer....will chevk witness hames

Settling in

Forget the novice approach, I'm not doing to well at this one

You have a marriage certificate dated 1897 showing William O'Connor aged 23 father William.

1901 Census
    William O'Connor aged 27 born Manchester

1911 Census William O'Connor ( there is noC it is an O) aged 37 Liverpool

Common denominators

William
    Age is consistent
    County of birth Lancashire

Check the signatures out on the Marriage and 1911 census ( oops do not know how to show them on the site)

Moving to the 1939 Register I can only see one William O'Connor whose dob is 4 August 1873. This gives a registration of birth as q3 1873 yet I cannot find a birth entry, nor can I see one for 1874

Ancestry has William O'Connor linked to this birth entry

William Henry Ayers
    Registration Year 1874
    Registration Quarter Jan-Feb-Mar
    Registration district Salford Lancashire
    Volume 8d Page 51

The 1881 census states birth place as Haytin Broughton Manchester this is actually Higher Broughton Salford. Salford being next door to Manchester city centre.

On earlier posts I have given you the Ayres family census info. I did note that the 'parents' do not appear to have left their 'village' so was this child a foundling? There is also a big age gap between Clare & William. Clare is recorded a born 19 Sept 1867 but not baptised until 20 March 1879 parents Rich'd Wm & Elizabeth Ayres I cannot see a baptism for William

Turning now to Amy Hancock a witness to the marriage she was b 1971 as Ann Wilkins lives in Chacombe

Job Gardner b 1874 same village, no immediate relationship to William O'Connor

Only thought I have at present is to purchase the birth certificate of William Henry Ayres of Salford

Settling in

But would you say the William ayres born in Manchester is the one who died in oxford
    and whats a foundling.....and.....lol....thanks for your help....real conundrum this

Famous for offering help & advice

I really think your next step would be to purchase the birth cert. Details of birth reg are in posts #2 & #17.

Buy from the GRO @ £9.25 per cert ( unless they've increased the price recently) as other sites charge more.

Quote Originally Posted by akon66 View Post
    But would you say the William ayres born in Manchester is the one who died in oxford
    and whats a foundling.....and.....lol....thanks for your help....real conundrum this
    Foundling = abandoned child. There is another Ayres family living in Nelson Street who also have a William b 1874ishh so unable to tell. The birth cert will give us something more positive like parents names/ occupation / place of birth etc. We will be either to discount him or include him.When you get the cert pick up this thread and those of us who have helped will receive notification of the post and be able to pick it up. Sorry if a jumble getting used to tablet.....jean PS don't lie being beaten jx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast