Thread: Mills/Goddard

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Mills/Goddard

Hello ,

My name is Jonah and i'm New on British-genealogy.com . 22 years old and from Oxfordshire. My ancestor John Mills was born 1854 in East Ilsley, Berkshire the son of Joseph Mills and Letitia Goddard. Joseph Mills was born 1827 in East Ilsley and the son of James Mills and Maria Pike . Letitia was the daughter of William Goddard and Mary Hitchman. John was an agriculture Labourer his father Joseph Mills was a Woodman. Letitia Goddard's Sister Jemima was a Shoebinder. Letitia was a Laundress. Joseph Mills father James was a Labourer. Joseph and Letitia had also the following children ::
    James /Mills/, Stephen William /Mills/, John /Mills/, Mary Maria /Mills/, Joseph /Mills/, Elizabeth Ann /Mills/, Alice /Mills/, Enoch /Mills/, Stephen Henry /Mills/. I want to know if the family were of Romany origin. Can someone help me ?

Best regards

Jonah

Hi Jonah and welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

I have followed Joseph Mills and Letitia Goddard through the census and cannot see any obvious Romany links; they seem to always be living in houses, their parents also are in houses, and they don't appear to be travellers as are always in Ilsley, Berkshire. Is there a particular reason which makes you think they may be of Romany origin?
    Alma

Hi Jonah and welcome to the Brit-Gen forums.
    It is lovely to have a relative youngster join our friendly genealogy site.

It won't be too long before our sleuths get to work using the information you have given

Good luck
    Christina

haha I see Alma has already been on the case.

Do you have access to census records and other records?
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Hi Jonah and welcome to the Forum.

As Alma has said, James & Maria MILLS baptised their children at East Illsley as follows (source Ancestry's Select Births & Christenings):

5 July 1818 Elizabeth, daughter of James & Maria MILLS
    2 September 1821 (born 15 August) Thomas, son of James & Maria MILLS
    11 July 1824 Joseph, son of James & Maria MILLS

In the 1841 census of East Illesley, James MILLS is shown as aged 60 and as the 1841 census for anyone over the age of 15 is theoretically rounded down to the nearest 5 years, this gives him a birth date of between 1776-1781 and there is a baptism at East Illesley on 15 December 1776 for a James MILLS son of Joseph & Sarah MILLS who sounds a likely candidate for your James. Although having said that, there is a burial at Kintbury in 1780 for James son of Joseph & Sarah MILLS, so more investigation would be needed. There is a marriage at East Illesley on 17 December 1798 for a James MILLS & Hannah BOOKER so I wonder if James was perhaps married twice.

FindmyPast, which is a pay per view site so I cannot give you full details, have a burial transcription at East Illesley in 1849 for a James MILLS born c1777 and one for a Maria MILLS at East Illesley in 1849 born c1780 which may well be relevant to you. Burial at East Illesley in 1801 for a Hannah MILLS born c1773 who is probably the Hannah nee BOOKER above.

Burial at East Illesley in 1822 of a Joseph MILLS born c1746 and a burial at East Illesley for a Sarah MILLS in 1786. There is also a burial record at Kintbury in 1815 for a Joseph MILLS born c1741 and one for a Sarah MILLS in 1835 born c1745, so I think the Joseph MILLS at Kintbury is a different Joseph and therefore the burial of a James MILLS at Kintbury may be a totally different child to that of the James baptised in East Illesley. Marriage at Beedon, Berkshire (pretty close to East Illesley) on 1 August 1769 of a Joseph MILLS & a Sarah BOURTON.

So from this information it does not look as if your MILLS family had any Romany connection at least going back to the mid 1700's.

Janet

Name well known on Brit-Gen

There is a similar request on another forum and the conclusion was that the Mills family mentioned did not have Romany connections.

As already stated most Romany can be found on the census living in 'fields' either under canvas or in Vardoos.

There have been some dedicated researchers on Romany sites where the families are quite well documented, regretably your kin on the information supplied and found are not romany

Look out for FREE sites and the 1851 & 1881 census is free on any subscription site....remember to cancel your payment details.

Birth Marriages & death 1 July 187 freebmd.org.uk

freecen.org.uk

familysearch.org

Always source a hard c opy for your records

Good Hunting