Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    truey52

Default John Gee born about 1844.

Hi all, I'm having a spot of bother with John Gee, my 2x great grandfather. He was born about 1844 in Nottingham, possibly Radford or Sneinton. His parents were William Gee and Ann Lowe. I have found him on all the census except for 1861 and the only likely one for that year is John Gee, aged about 18, at Winchester St Thomas district barracks, Hampshire.I'm wondering if it is at all likely to be my John Gee and how would I go about proving or disproving this theory.Would it have been a common practice for a young man to do such a thing? John Gee is back at his rightful place on the 1871 census, had in fact married in 1868 to Sarah Lowe, who subsequently died in 1872, John remarried in 1873 to Fanny Simpson. Also unable to establish the death of John Gee, there are at least 3 possibilities ranging from 1914 to 1917.
    Thanks Shirl.

Knowledgeable and helpful

From the GRO site

John Gee Jun 1844 Radford Union vol 15 p642 mmn Lowe

Emeltee

If my searching is correct John married in the Loughborough district in 1868. Wysall is within that registration district, so is it possible this John in 1861 age 15yrs, a groom (farm servant) born Ruddington? RG 9; Piece: 2278; Folio: 97; Page: 5

I don't have time to see if this John can be eliminated as have visitors just arrived
    Alma

Is this John 27, wife Sarah 32 and Annie 2 in Loughborough in 1871 RG10; Piece: 3522; Folio: 81; Page: 24
    If so John is described as born Loughborough. Though on other census with wife Fanny he's described as born Nottinghamshire.
    Alma

truey52

Thanks everyone for replies, I think Loughborough and Nottingham were interchangeable to John Gee, also his father William Gee WAS born in Loughborough around 1819, so maybe that's why John differs with his birthplace. John Gee eventually became a pork butcher and it appears he remained in and around Radford/ Sneinton area.
    What I'd really like is peoples' thoughts on him being in the Winchester St Thomas district barracks on the 1861 census.
    Thanks again, Shirl.

truey52

Hi I'm back again, just to mention that I have obtained the birth cert for John Gee, he was born 5th May 1844 at Sneinton, Nottingham, his parents are listed as William Gee and Ann Gee, formerly Lowe. And through searching newspapers, have established that John Gee died 23August 1917, according to a death notice inserted by his wife Fanny. He had died in Nottingham and burial was to take place at Sneinton Church. However still haven't figured out if the John Gee at Winchester St Thomas district barracks on the 1861 census is mine, it's the only census I cannot find him. Thanks Shirl.

larkspur

I checked NFHS for a baptism for John Gee but nothing coming up. There are however baptisms for some of his children at Sneinton, St Stephen. I will give them to you just in case you don't already have them.
    31 Mar 1878 Harry son of John & fanny Gee abode Carlton Rd father a pork butcher
    31 Mar 1878 Annie dau of ditto ditto

Sneinton, St Luke
    14 Aug 1871 Tom Lowe son of John & Sarah Gee abode Carlton Rd father a pork butcher

It's a pity they don't give his regiment in the 1861 census as that would have helped to sort him out in the military records which can be viewed for free in Findmypast at the moment. So it may help to hop over there and check out the records.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

I paged back to the census declaration page, which is signed by the officer commanding 7th 'Rifle' Depot Battalion. This didn't mean anything to me, so I searched that phrase and found this response to a similar enquiry:

“The “7th” just confirms that prior to 1873, Winchester was home to 7th Depot Battalion and although “Rifle” could suggest one of the battalions of the Rifle Brigade, the 7th Depot Battalion also covered all 4 battalions of the 60th Regiment of Foot [King’s Royal Rifle Corps]. The Nafziger collection doesn't cover the British Army in 1861, but March 1862 confirms the depot of all 4 battalions of both regiments was at Winchester.”

Peter

janbooth

John GEE does appear on the British Army Worldwide Index 1861 as a private stationed at Winchester. You can look up this record on FMP and it does give his Service No and Regiment. With this information you may be able to find his Service record to ascertain whether he is indeed your John GEE.

I cannot find any other appropriate John GEE in the 1861 census born at either Loughborough or Nottingham and I cannot find a baptism for him at Loughborough on the parish register images available to view via FMP. Parents William GEE & Ann LOWE were married at Sneinton St Stephen on 14 December 1838, so he was not born prior to their marriage.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast