Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coulthard

Keith Daniells

Default Coulthard

COULTHARD
    In a nutshell my cousin, aged 74 has just started on this trip. He has Parkinson's disease and I am trying to help him. I have given him all the info I had on his mothers (sister of my mother) side. Now the search is on for his fathers.
    So.I am trying to find the parents of William Coulthard. Going on the census ( I have 1881 1891 1901) he was born around 1843 in Shildon, Durham. He married Margaret Taylor in 1871 in Durham. their first born was Thomas G around 1875. William is my cousins (Chris) great grandfather. I am currently going through the various census on UK Census Online. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi
    In the 1871 census William says he was born in Heighington. There is a birth reg in the Darlington reg dist. Sept 1/4 1842 Volume 24 Page 49 which includes Heighington. However as you say in later censuses he says born Shildon and that is in the registration district of Auckland.
    There are no births in 1843.
    There is the birth reg of a William Bulman Coulthard March 1/4 1844 Auckland registraion district. If this man can be accounted for in the same censuses as William then I would say the birth registered in Darlington is your man.
    The GRO index has a birth in Darlington Sept 1/4 Volume 24 Page 49 with the mother's maiden name Kelsey.
    There is a marriage on FreeBMD with a Jane Ann Kelsey and a William Coulthard on the same page Darlington registration district Dec 1/4 1839 vol 24 page 44
    This is all supposition and to verify your William's father's name and occupation his and Margaret's marriage certificate is needed.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

There is a mistranscribed William Coulthard on ancestry with grandparents Kelsey in 1851
    HO107 Piece 2382 Folio 187 Page 47
    12 Park Row
    John Kelsey 68 Head Warehouseman Grocery trade
    Ann Kelsey 46 Wife Aycliffe
    Mary kesley 30 Dau unmarried Aycliffe
    William Couillard 8 grandson born Darlington, Durham,

There is a death of a Jane Ann Coulthard March 1/4 1847 Durham &c vol 24 page 90

Christina
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Hello,
    https://familysearch.org/search/reco...r%3A1841-1844~
    Shildon is only a couple of miles from Bishops Auckland
    In 1911 census William and Margaret are living in Elswick,Northumberland.
    In 1861 census William is a servant in Whitburn,Northumberland.
    Another census site.
    https://www.freecen.org.uk/

Keith Daniells

Well I am confused. But I will try and follow through on all the info given. Thank you.The 1901 1891 And 1881 census all have William being born in Shildon. He is without a doubt the correct William Coulthard.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Daniells View Post
    Well I am confused. But I will try and follow through on all the info given. Thank you.The 1901 1891 And 1881 census all have William being born in Shildon. He is without a doubt the correct William Coulthard.
    This is why the marriage certificate for William and Margaret would help with father's names.
    The search and elimination of the contenders is made harder because of the surname which is prone to being mangled.
    Christina
    William Burroughs

Keith Daniells

Certificate is now on order.

Keith Daniells

Default Coulthard

And so, for me, it gets deeper. William Coulthard married Margaret Taylor Dec 1871. his age was 28 and was living in Shildon. (birth 1843). Father named as Edward, a Breaksman.

William Coulthard, can be followed through the 1881 1891 1901 & 1911 Census. Aged 38 49 57 and 64. Giving, I believe, a fairly positive birth date of 1843. The birth place was Shildon on each Census.

According to family papers he died in 1922 aged 79 again giving a birth date of 1843.

He is the correct William Coulthard in all cases. Checked and Verified.

His father Edward from what I can work out married Ann Charlton in 1840. Auckland, Durham. (I have for the moment discounted 2 other possibilities. Jane Jaques and Mary Putin.

Help request one.... I am unable to find Edward and Ann in the 1851 1861 and 1871 census. 1851 being the most important a I would hope it shows William as a child.

I have a birth certificate for William Coulthard born 25 Sept 1842 at Cepy Crooks, Shildon. mother is named Ann Coulthard formally Charlton. Fathers profession is a Breaksman, BUT he is named as William????
    All fits other than daddy's name.

Help request two......William and not Edward ???

Time for a single malt or two maybe three.........

janbooth

IGI Family Search has a baptism at St Andrew Auckland on 6 November 1842 for a William son of Edward & Ann COULTHARD who could perhaps be a candidate for your William. There is a Durham Marriage Licence record dated 28 May 1840, available to view on Family Search, for Edward COULTHARD of the parish of St Andrew, Auckland, bachelor, & Ann CHARLTON of the same parish, spinster. Edward signed his name on this record.

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Hello Keith

Using Family Search ( free to view)

I think in 1861 the family are recorded as Coulthart (note spelling)
    In 1851 Coultret - Edward is a brakesman, William b Blue Houses
    In 1841 Coulthard - there is Edward and Ann plus an earlier William age 1 who died before your William was born, plus a Margaret age 5. No relationship is given. She could be their child born before the marriage, a child of either Edward or Ann, or a relative.
    In 1871 I think William is a boarder in New Shildon b 1843 Coopy Crooks

In 1851 Edward says he is born Barnard Castle so he could possibly be the Edward b1813 to George and Mary at Startforth

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast