Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Thomas Hammond Kent

I will post all known information and if/where possible the source.

Thomas Hammond
    Married Mary X
    Children:
    Charles John Simmons Hammond 1800-1860 born in Sheerness, Kent

I am looking for when, where and to whom Thomas Hammond was born. And his wife if possible.

All about him is from the work of another of his descendants, as well as official contemporary documents mentioning him and his relatives.

The other work I mentioned: https://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~rds/sh...ppendix_03.pdf

janbooth

Ancestry's Select births & christenings show the baptism of Charles John Simmons HAMMOND as being 15 April 1800 at Minster, Kent, parents Thomas & Mary HAMMOND, as you are probably already aware. There is a family tree on Ancestry which shows his parents as Thomas HAMMOND & Mary MITCHELL who married on 14 January 1794 at Rochester, Kent - marriage confirmed by FreeReg which states that they were both unmarried and of the parish. This family tree seems to be fairly well researched with sources shown so, if it is not yours or connected to you in any way, could be well worth a look - your link does not seem to work for me so I cannot confirm whether the other work done is the same as this tree. According to the tree the surname SIMMONS comes from the grandmother of Charles who is shown as an Elizabeth SIMMONS who married William HAMMOND.

FreeReg shows the baptisms of a Thomas William HAMMOND on 14 January 1795 at HM Dockyard Church, Sheerness, to a Thomas & Mary HAMMOND which could be relevant to you.

Janet

Thank you!

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I am not sure about the marriage as I found another child with Simmons as a middle name born 1804 on family's watch.org haven't time to look again as on grandson minding duty��

Without an ancestry account, how do I proceed?

I've found William Hammond (1740) and another born in 1735, both married to their own Elizabeth Simmons, one in 1748 (to the latter) and one in 1745 (to the former). Both in Gillingham Kent. Very odd?

This couple is clearly the right one though, this is the right Thomas Hammond (based on my sources for Charles John Simmons) and his siblings. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/2:1:9XR5-Z6T

That tree says "about " for the dates, and in any case the first set of dates, 1735 and 1748, are linked to *birth* certificates, so I'd be more inclined to trust those.

I think I've figured it out. Elizabeth Simmonds, now that I've verified the Birth Cert, was DEFINITELY born 5th of February 1748, no question. William, however, had two younger brothers who died in childhood/birth, William (1735) and William (1736). He himself was born around 1737-1740.

janbooth

FreeReg has the baptism of Thomas HAMMOND at Frindsbury on 1 June 1772, parents William & Elizabeth. Other children are Elizabeth baptised 11 April 1768, William baptised 2 April 1770, James baptised 23 September 1776, Simmonds baptised 19 October 1777, Francis Wilkins baptised 11 July 1782 and George Tymm baptised 30 July 1785. They are all baptised at Frindsbury and all have parents shown as William & Elizabeth. FreeReg only shows the one marriage at Gillingham on 23 January 1765 between William HAMMOND, bachelor of Gillingham & Elizabeth SIMMONS, a minor of Gillingham. Baptism of Elizabeth SIMMONS on 23 February 1747/48 at Gillingham daughter of John & Anne SIMMONS which fits in with the fact that she is shown as a minor at her marriage to William. UK Find a Grave website has a picture of the gravestone at Frindsbury for James HAMMOND son of William & Elizabeth who died on 19 December 1776 aged 4 months, Francis Wilkins HAMMOND who died on 18 March 1796 aged 14 plus some grandchildren & William HAMMOND himself who died on 29 April 1788 aged 51 which gives him a birthdate of c1737.

I think the FreeReg transcription for the baptism of George Tymm HAMMOND should actually be George Pymm HAMMOND as they have a marriage transcription on 19 February 1809 at Rochester for a George Pymm HAMMOND bachelor of this parish to Lydia TOWNSDEN spinster of Chatham, by licence. Given that the HAMMOND family seem to like putting ancestral surnames into the baptisms of subsequent children, you might like to consider a baptism at Minster on 24 October 1736 of a William HAMMOND son of Pym & Phebe HAMMOND.

Janet

janbooth

A bit more corroborative evidence for the marriage of Thomas HAMMOND to Mary MITCHELL. In the family tree it states that one of the witnesses to the marriage was his stepfather William LAWRENCE, this being partially confirmed by FreeReg which show the witnesses to be William LAWRENCE & a William SMITH. FreeReg has the marriage at Luddesdown on 12 April 1791 of William LAWRENCE & Elizabeth HAMMOND, witnesses Hannah STILES & Philip STILES.

Janet

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast