Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Researching Malster Lab

Hi All,
    I have a William Daybell born abt 1815 Morton, Notts married to Ruth Naomi (Marriott) on 21 Nov 1836. His listed occupation is a Malster Lab on the 1861 England census.
    Can anyone give me more information on him?

Tia,
    Jack

I suspect that you've lost a t in the middle - a maltster is someone who deals with the malting of grain for brewing. Lab is labourer.

PS I see that this was your first post - welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Lesley,
    That is what the census shows on image, Source Citation: Year: 1861; Class: RG 9; Piece: 2447; Folio: 35; NS: 125; ED: 2; Page: 25 so I transcribed what was there. As you can see I live across the pond from UK and am ignorant of the spellings and such, genealogy is a great learning experience and I am grateful for all the help I get from my UK relatives and anyone interested in giving this 80 year old some insight in what I missed living in a different country and language. :-) yes I said different language as we spell things different, ie. Labourer for you and Laborer for me.

I find it of great interest to view other cultures to give me a greater understanding of others.

Thank you for the wisdom,
    Cheers,
    Jack

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Jack,

You haven't said exactly what else you would like to know about William so Lesley was trying to be helpful in pointing out that his occupation was spelt incorrectly. (Incorrect spelling of everything is a frequent occurrence on census returns. )

You've got William's marriage; his (alleged) place of birth plus a lot of his children from the 1861 census. What else precisely would you like to know about him? It's a complete waste of time for anyone to list all the details from the other census if you already have that information. Ditto about a death, etc.

For other researchers:
    If you're having difficulty finding William in 1861 on FMP it's because he's currently indexed as being 14 years old (born 1847), occupation . . . .Labourer. Surname indexed as Daybell, and born Morton, Notts. I only managed to find him by looking for son George who is one of the few family members to have his age still clearly written - most of the others have had 'score' marks heavily slashed through them.
    However if you look closely, William's age is 46. I will be advising FMP.
    The irony is that they transcribe the surname as Daybell, when it looks more like Dayball, which is how it's been indexed on Ancestry.

Meantime William and family in 1851, living in Morton (Notts). HO107/2134 folio 160 page 20.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Jack,
    A very, very warm welcome to Britgen.
    I bet you a pound to a dollar today that were you to ask many entrants in a spelling bee to spell "maltster" plenty would spell it with one silent "t"!! Whichever - there's a baptism on FMP for a -
    William Daybell, born Sep 14th 1814, bap 27 Sep 1814, parents Thomas, a weaver and Hannah, abode Fiskerton which is not all that far from Morton/Southwell. Possibility?n

Presently checking whether or not William had a brother Richard.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Richard Dable, bap 15 Dec 1799, place Hoveringham, parents Thomas & Hannah.

Will send you a Private Message

Starting to feel at home

Just as an aside, for our Brit-Gen friend in Kansas. Hello Jack. Here is a link to Maltings in Nottingham. Traveled the Turnpike many times en-route to Florida

https://www.nottsheritagegateway.org....structural.htm

I worked at a Vinegar Brewery in the 1970's. It was built in the 1800's as a Porter & Ale Brewery (Beer Brewery). The history has been part of several projects I have done over the years. If you look at the home address, compare with a map of the City, and locate Brewery or Maltings you may find them very close to each other. Many Breweries have archives or just trawl Google. I traced several families as part of my research and even found photos.

Reputation beyond repute

The Oxford English Dictionary recognises malster as an alternative form of maltster.

I haven't bothered to count them but there may be as many malsters as maltsters listed in the 1881 census.

1841 Census - ref. HO107 86 31 2 32
    Morton Southwell

Thomas Daybell, 70, Farmer
    Hannah Daybell, 65
    Richard Daybell, 40
    All born in the County of Nottinghamshire

1841 Census - ref. HO107 866 31 3 34
    William Daybell, 25, Ag Lab
    Naomi Daybell, 25
    John Daybell, 3
    Hannah Daybell, 1
    All born in the County of Nottinghamshire

FindMyPast Prison Registers 2 Sep 1842
    Instructions to the High Sherriff of Notts
    "To remove Ric'd Daybell, .... from Gaol at Nottingham to Justitia hulk at Woolwich"

Richard was sentenced to transportation for life for stabbing Constable James Blyton of Morton. (Leicestershire Mercury 30 July 1842).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast