Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default Crew Member. Photo. Is it the same person

Hello Everyone. I have posted this in the Mariner section, well... because he was.

However I would be grateful for the opinion of as many eyes as possible.

The vessel, the schooner "Charmian" is correct and the photo date (1907/8) and his time of service go together.

He was my maternal Grandfather Frederick Ahier, who disappeared around 1921. He didn't die just vanished.

Which of the crew are you talking about? I'm afraid that quite a few of them look alike thanks to the hats and facial hair!

Have you checked to see whether the ship was still active post 1921? There's also a register of deaths at sea (I think at TNA, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that might be worth consulting.

Very quick off the mark.

If you think he may be the one second from the right then I think you may be correct. Although several of the crew look similar, as Lesley pointed out, there is something about the expressions on the faces that make me think that these are the same person.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Which of the crew are you talking about? I'm afraid that quite a few of them look alike thanks to the hats and facial hair!

Have you checked to see whether the ship was still active post 1921? There's also a register of deaths at sea (I think at TNA, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) that might be worth consulting.
    Hello Lesley and thanks for the reply. I deliberately left out a prompt as it tends to influence.

I have been researching the "Charmian" and my maternal Grandfather for 40+ years. The "Charmian" has better documentation, from design, launch, owners,locations, change of name, wrecked, lost and then the remains discovered in 2014 on the coast of Florida. As for G/F, my Grandmother died when my Mother was 9. G/F made a few visits but wasn't seem after about 1923. I know from records that he sailed as crew to South Africa and Australia. As yet he hasn't been found on records searched in those countries.

I don't chase him every day of the week, but as with several lines, I return from time to time and pick up the trails. Thanks again. Regards, Peter
    Last edited by Peter_NB; 07-06-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spilin eror

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Margarita. What a lovely part of the world you live in.
    I won't comment on here just yet.

One of my favourite drinks was named after you :-)

Regards, Peter

FindMyPast has 2 merchant service records for a Frederick Philip Ahier, born Jersey, 1880. One includes a photo.
    I am hopeless at recognising faces and cannot decide if it is the same chap as in your inset photo?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by helachau View Post
    FindMyPast has 2 merchant service records for a Frederick Philip Ahier, born Jersey, 1880. One includes a photo.
    I am hopeless at recognising faces and cannot decide if it is the same chap as in your inset photo?
    Hello. That is the man.

Starting to feel at home

Default Schooner Charmian

I have just received a high def copy of the above photo. More about that later. However, I have also been sent a copy of the reverse in the hope I can decipher what it says. OK "Charmian" and the Date are easy. But what is the other ?

Charmian was a 100ft schooner and raced against the King and the Kaiser. So the photo could be the UK, France, Channel Islands. Heligoland.

I know that Brit Gen has some great eyes and a huge depth of knowledge. Thank you

Very quick off the mark.

Could the first line say "Souvenir of Salcombe"?

Starting to feel at home

I read "souvenir" the moment I saw it. Followed by "of" does reduce the options.

On the high def' copy of the photo the sweaters carry the letters "R V Y C" Royal Victoria Yacht Club" which is in Ryde IOW.
    On the photo of my Grandfather it says "R T Y C" Royal Thames Yacht Club". I will have to check the ships register again for actual sale dates, as 1907 the owner registered the Charmian in his membership of R T Y C.

Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast