Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default WILLIAM PLOWRIGHT/PLOUGHBOY? GRAY

Hi I am hoping someone could do a look up for me for the marriage of WILLIAM P GRAY b c 1844 Brigstock Northamptonshire & MATILDA MARIA CARTER and any children they may had had before coming to Australia around 1871/1871, they settled in New South Wales and had more children. (one of their grandchildren children born here in Australia had the 2nd name of Plowright.

thanks in anticipation
    Karen

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

familysearch.org has his baptism.
    https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl has the 1870 marriage in Westminster.
    1871 census has the couple in Battersea,no children.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

William and Matilda married at St Ann's Soho, in October 1870. The parish register image is available online at Findmypast in their Westminster marriages dataset.

If you look at FreeBMD, there is a post-em against William's name about there being at least one son born before they left for Australia. Though I don't know how accurate that is, as there is no William John Horrace (sic) Gray birth registration in the London area 1871-1873. His could have been an unregistered birth, as compulsory registration didn't begin until 1874/75.

Searching on the GRO's historic birth and death index https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/ (you can search for free) for Gray. mother's maiden name Carter, shows a Victor Plowright Gray, birth registered March quarter 1874.
    There are other Gray/Carter births, but they're not all William and Matilda's, as sometimes there are two births in the same quarter but in different registration districts.

I presume you've seen the 1871 census where William and Matilda are living in Battersea. RG10/707 folio 143 page 13.

ADDED: Sadly, Victor Plowright Gray died, aged 1, September quarter 1875, Wandsworth registration district.
    His burial is in the parish register for St George's, Battersea (online on Ancestry), though I doubt he was buried in the churchyard because by that date nearly all London burials took place in cemeteries. Victor was buried on 30 September, age 1 year eight months old. Nothing in the register about his parents' names.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

thank so much, I have one child I believe was 10 years old when they arrived in 1871 William John Horace Gray, I have traced him in Australia but don't know where he was born and also I just found out there are 2 more births in New Zealand in 1877 & 1879, I will try William John Horace Gray b 1871 in New Zealand but it is presumed he was born in England.

Thank very much Pam I didn't know aboutVictor Plowright the child, I will follow up on your links provided
    karen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by mjkisxo View Post
    thank so much, I have one child I believe was 10 years old when they arrived in 1871 William John Horace Gray, I have traced him in Australia but don't know where he was born and also I just found out there are 2 more births in New Zealand in 1877 & 1879,
    Something amiss with either your maths or your typing. If a child was 10 years old when they arrived in 1871 then he would have been born out of wedlock when Matilda was thirteen years old.
    How absolutely cast-iron positively certain are you that William and Matilda emigrated, and stayed abroad, in 1871? Because if they definitely did, then Victor is unlikely to be their child as he was born in England in 1874 and died in England in 1875.
    It also means that the person who made that post-em against William's marriage entry is wrong when they say that William John Horrace Gray was born in London in 1872.
    I will try William John Horace Gray b 1871 in New Zealand but it is presumed he was born in England.
    The post-em against William's marriage entry clearly says that William John Horrace Gray was born in London in 1872. But as I said, there is no birth registration for someone with that name in the London area 1871-1873, so it can't be proved. Can't see a baptism online either, though I have only looked on Ancestry's London's baptisms.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Knowledgeable and helpful

William John Horace GRAY baptised 10th September 1871 at St Anne, Soho, to William and Matilda, father's occupation 'sailor'. Birth 12th August 1871.

One transcript has the baptism as 18th September but, assuming the entries were made chronologically, the original entry is probably 10th September.

Source: England Births & Baptisms 1538 – 1975/ Westminster Baptisms.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Something amiss with either your maths or your typing. If a child was 10 years old when they arrived in 1871 then he would have been born out of wedlock when Matilda was thirteen years old.
    How absolutely cast-iron positively certain are you that William and Matilda emigrated, and stayed abroad, in 1871? Because if they definitely did, then Victor is unlikely to be their child as he was born in England in 1874 and died in England in 1875.
    It also means that the person who made that post-em against William's marriage entry is wrong when they say that William John Horrace Gray was born in London in 1872.

The post-em against William's marriage entry clearly says that William John Horrace Gray was born in London in 1872. But as I said, there is no birth registration for someone with that name in the London area 1871-1873, so it can't be proved. Can't see a baptism online either, though I have only looked on Ancestry's London's baptisms.

Pam
    my apologies for my typing he was 10 shortly after they arrived in Australia around 1880/1881 once again I was unsure of the dates but have managed to find William John Horace Gray was 10 years old when put into a reform school in Sydney NSW from 1881-1887 so yes he was born abt 1871 he then married in 1895. I am sure that William Plowright Gray & Matilda Maria were parents to at least 2 children born in New Zealand and then at least 5 children in Australia as they are named as the parents, and they were named on William John Horace's death regiistration in Australia. It does seem apparent that Victor Plowright Gray may still belong to this family, given the dates So maybe the family left England sometime after Victor Plowright's bideath and travelled to New Zealand and stopped there to have more family before settling in Australia around 1880/1881. thanks

thanks Peter I am sure this is the family

Knowledgeable and helpful

The only civil registration I can find which is even remotely connected is this one:

GRAY William, 1869 September Quarter, Westminster St James, Vol 01A, Page 398. No mother's maiden name.

Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast