Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loves to help with queries

my apologies should read travelled to New Zealand (2 children born 1877-1879) and then arrived Australia arond 1880/1881

my apologies should read travelled to New Zealand (2 children born 1877-1879) and then arrived Australia around 1880/1881

janbooth

Ancestry have a record for a William P GRAY, aged 27, Northampton, who was a Steward on board the ship "Golden FLEECE" which embarked from London and arrived at Sydney on 12 July 1871. However, I have so far been unable to find a Passenger List record for either Matilda or son William John Horace.

There is a birth registration at Wandsworth reg district in September qtr 1871 for a William John H GREAY who sounds a likely candidate for your William John Horace GRAY.

Janet

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    William John Horace GRAY baptised 10th September 1871 at St Anne, Soho, to William and Matilda, father's occupation 'sailor'. Birth 12th August 1871.

One transcript has the baptism as 18th September but, assuming the entries were made chronologically, the original entry is probably 10th September.

Source: England Births & Baptisms 1538 – 1975/ Westminster Baptisms.

Peter
    Thanks for that find, Peter. Seems that I really do need to get my eyes tested. (Or else get a new brain cell - perhaps I just forgot to look for a baptism for William junior. )

Quote Originally Posted by mjkisxo View Post
    my apologies for my typing he was 10 shortly after they arrived in Australia, as William John Horace Gray was 10 years old when put into a reform school in Sydney NSW so yes he was born abt 1871. I am sure that William Plowright Gray & Matilda Maria were parents to at least 2 children born in New Zealand and then at least 5 children in Australia as they are named as the parents, and they were named on William John Horace's death regiistration in Australia. It does seem apparent that Victor Plowright Gray did not belong to this family
    It's very weird though, because Victor's mother's maiden name was Carter, and Plowright is quite an unusual name.

A couple of online trees say that William and Matilda had a son Albert Henry in New Zealand in 1877. Nothing about what year they may have emigrated to NZ. Have you seen a document or a transcription which says they positively arrived in NZ in a certain year?
    If you haven't, then I'd be quite willing to bet that they are Victor's parents, and that they emigrated after his death.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Ancestry have a record for a William P GRAY, aged 27, Northampton, who was a Steward on board the ship "Golden FLEECE" which embarked from London and arrived at Sydney on 12 July 1871. However, I have so far been unable to find a Passenger List record for either Matilda or son William John Horace.
    William would have arrived at Sydney on board the ship because of his job.Doesn't mean he stayed in Australia.

There is a birth registration at Wandsworth reg district in September qtr 1871 for a William John H GREAY who sounds a likely candidate for your William John Horace GRAY.

Janet
    As usual, Janet nails it.
    GRO historic births index gives mother's maiden name as Carter.
    Wandsworth registration district includes Battersea, which would fit with the 1871 census, taken a few months before.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

there was 2 children who were born to the same couple in NZ and sorry no haven't found their arrival in New Zealand or when they arrived in Australia as yet, I am thinking the same that they left England after the death of Victor Plowright so I am now thinking he does belong because of his unusual name then sailed to NZ and then onto Australia after a couple of years in NZ and there was another child born to William John Horace Gray (the son originally born in Eng) that was named Victor Plowright Gray who went on to have family in Australia so the name continued.....
    thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12