Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen

hi everyone.
    I am looking for a Edward Conn. place of origin Kent. possibly convict.- murder charge.
    sorry dont have any more info. He married a half caste or full aboriginal Mary A. Ross in 1850. neither his marriage or death cert states date and place of birth or his parents.
    sorry couldnt be more help at the moment. thanks Doreenh

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Doreen,

I've moved your post to its own thread so it doesn't get lost in a thread about a completely different person.

You can be of more help - how old was Edward when he died? I know that ages at death aren't necessarily accurate to the year but an idea of whether he was 30 or 90 when he died would be useful.

Also, where has the 'possibly convict - murder charge' come from?

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Dundee10

If your Edward was the Maitland publican then the gaol description of his facial scars in 1865 do match those of the Edward CON/CONN who was tried at the Old Bailey in Sep 1836 and transported on the Lloyds in 1837.

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/brow...2204#highlight

Edward was said to be married and he probably married Bridget MARTIN in March 1836 at Rochester in Kent. Bridget was transported to Tasmania in 1837 as Bridget CON/CONN alias Sarah STANMORE. She married in 1846 to Edward STEARN and has quite an impressive record:

https://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...2,266,166,L,80
    https://search.archives.tas.gov.au/Im...4,256,135,L,80

Bridget/Sarah was considerably older than Edward and if he was born 1816/1817 then he was underage when marrying.

Hi
    I see that Edward married in Yass and there is a land transaction dated 27 Feb 1855 for an Edward Conn at Yass. It is a transcription from New South Wales Government Gazette Indexes 1832-1863 so whether the original document gives any more information?
    There is also a financial transaction 20 Dec 1855 at Murrurundi but whether these are the same or different men with the same name.
    Another land transaction at Yass 31 Jul 1856
    There are only two convicts by the name of Conn here https://convictrecords.com.au/ but it is not a complete work. If he was making land transactions in Yass it would appear he had some money behind him.
    Edward Conn of Yass was committed for stealing and receiving at Yass See here

There is also an Edward Conn licensee in Maitland NSW 1858/1860. I did read an article about this man who was involved in an affray in his pub in the early hours of the morning which resulted in another man's death. It is on Trove Sorry i didn't take note of the date.
    None of this is helping find whether he was a convict or a free settler or his origins. Where did you get the information he was from Kent?
    Christina

Pam you moved the post whilst I was gathering info on the old thread Yeek! Got clever though and just copied and pasted and deleted my answer on the other thread. Then Dundee beat me to it anyway.
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dundee10

There are numerous newspaper reports of the 1836 trial which describe Bridget CON as Edward's mother. I don't have time at the moment but if you don't have access I will have a look through them later to see who is who.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by christanel View Post
    Hi
    Pam you moved the post whilst I was gathering info on the old thread Yeek! Got clever though and just copied and pasted and deleted my answer on the other thread. Then Dundee beat me to it anyway.
    Sorry, Christina.
    (Thought I was being really clever moving the original post to a new thread. Next time, I'll make sure you're in bed before I do anything! )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I am in bed - sick as the proverbial. My own fault for taking so long to post. I should have moved it first before posting. Isn't you who should be in bed?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Dear Dundee
    thankyou. Yes this is the one. didnt not he was previously married.
    Edward died 1897. he married Mary A Ross 1850 Yass. was told by another researcher doing one of Edwards children that either Mary Ross or Sydneys wife was half case or full aboriginal. trying to verify.
    Just to make things harder, just found out that my uncle was adopted by Edward Conn and Ellen Connell. This Edward is the grandson of Edward and Mary.

hi Chistanel
    yes rest. dont worry. there are others who are very helpful and I am most grateful.
    Doreenh

hi Dundee10
    thankyou. I will look into these newspaper reports. One other researcher sent me 18 emails in one day regarding Edward Conn in Australia. still looking at them. However I now have the query as to whom are the birth parents of my uncle.
    regards Doreenh

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast