Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Settling in

Hi Doreen,
    It would seem bigamy was very common in those days, times would have been extremely tough for women. Could you tell me who the informant was on Susan McMah'I s D/C and were her children listed.It should be interesting to see what comes back from the Yass church should they respond to your email.
    Steve

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Dear Fonziepage
    informant was Susan Vaughan daughter. Susan prev marriage Birch, maiden name Scutts. Address of informant 6 Rawson St, Leichhardt. children of marriage of Susan Florence and George McMah listed were:
    Ethel M aged 52yrs, Susan E 49yrs, Martha M aged 17yrs, Joseph E 45yrs, Lilian P 41yrs, Clarice 38yrs, Daphne 36yrs, living and 1 female deceased.
    Doreen

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by DoreenH View Post
    children of marriage of Susan Florence and George McMah listed were:
    Ethel M aged 52yrs, Susan E 49yrs, Martha M aged 17yrs, Joseph E 45yrs, Lilian P 41yrs, Clarice 38yrs, Daphne 36yrs, living and 1 female deceased.
    Doreen
    CONN, SUSAN E
    4897/1887
    SUSAN E F
    LEICHHARDT

CONN, MARTHA M
    6449/1889
    SUSAN
    PETERSHAM

CONN, JOSEPH E
    18660/1891
    SUSAN E F
    LEICHHARDT

CONN, LILLIAN P
    13837/1895
    SUSAN
    LEICHHARDT

MCMAH, LILLIAN P
    13837/1895
    SUSAN
    LEICHHARDT

Lillian is the only one twice indexed under another surname which suggests to me that there is no other surname on the registrations but you would need to see the certificates to be certain. Lillian's cert most likely names her mother as Susan McMAH formerly CONN with no father named which is why it is indexed twice.

MCMAH, JOSEPH
    19373/1892
    SUSAN
    LEICHHARDT

One of the Josephs died in 1893, most likely the second. I don't know why she would name two sons Joseph.

Death

CONN, JOSEPH
    8037/1893
    SUSAN
    LEICHHARDT

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Susan married to George McMah was certainly an interesting lady, there is a criminal record for her for bigamy. In 1880 Susan McMah was sentenced to 12 months hard labour in Bathurst Gaol, Susan married a James Moore, George McMah her former husband being alive.
    Susan served the whole 12 month sentence, which is unusual, and was discharged in April 1881.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/13456157

I did find however a marrage of a Elizabeth B. Conn in 1881 to a George Alvaro in Sydney
    just did a google search for a George Alvaro 1881 Sydney. Came up with a criminal record for 1884 for bigamy. he got 2 years gaol. ......might be the same person who married Elizabeth.
    Doreen
    The bigamy charge was from his marriage to Elizabeth Bridget CONN.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/108832857

Settling in

Hi all,
    I have just ordered a transcript of the marriage of Edward Conn and Mary Ann Ross #V1850301 79 JX, expect back in 2-3 weeks as it is an early church record ie before registration I do not there to be much of value in it, but may be lucky, will post whatever come up.
    Regards Fonzie

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234