Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Settling in

Hi Doreen,
    Well I must say your info has thrown more mystery into an already mixed up family so I will try to explain how we see it, we believe Susan Florence Conn married the older George McMah when she was 15 as stated by you above,but were unaware of any children to this marriage and guessed that it may have been short lived, and there may have been a bigamous marriage (see trove). We think she then took up a defacto relationship with Joseph Scutts around 1885 and had the following children Ethell c1885,susan 1887,martha 1889,joseph e 1891,joseph 1893 probably stillborn,Lillian 1895,clarice 1899 (my grandmother) and Daphne, not sure if births were registered and if so under what name but to the best of my knowledge my grandmother was Clarice Scutts till she married, it would seem they never bothered to divorce their respective legal partners and I think she is buried as Susan McMahon at Rookwood

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Dear Fonziepage
    Yes this family is a mystery. Including some of its descentents on the Conn side.
    I cannot find a death date and place for Clarice. I have looked online in bdm, newspapers, billiongraes, under McMah, Scutts and Haynes. Other children of Clarice? I have Patricia June Haynes born 1930 died 2016. Patricia married Walter Allan Oliveira 8 Dec 1945 Petersham. son Christopher Allan.
    Walter born 12 Apr 1922 Lithgow, died 13 Oct 1997 Sydney. Patricia born 29 FEb 1930 Auburn, died 7 Nov 2016 Nowra. I have checked the nsw electoral rolls, this usually shows children born after 1918 listed living with family till they marry. But no luck there.

I have Susan's death cert. It doesnt mention Joseph Scutts at all. It liss McMah as the father of all the children.
    Do you know when George William John Vaughan died. He is the 2nd husband of Susan Elizaeth Scutts, daughter of Susan and Joseph. Susan Elizabeth Vaughan died 3 Nov 1965 Balmain.
    I have ordered George McMah's death cert to see what is listed there, as well as Joseph Scutts's death certificate to see if his children to his legal marriage is listed.
    Doreen

Settling in

Hello Doreen,
    My grandmothers death certificate Reg.#20275/1978 states Clarice died 30/08/1978 at Avalon nursing home, cremated 01/09/1978 at the Northern Suburbs Crematorium and her ashes are in the rose garden with her husband William. They had 4 children the oldest Clarice died within a year their other children have all passed but have living families that I am reluctant to discuss on the forum for privacy concerns. On Clarice's death & marriage certs she states her father as Joseph Scutts and mother as Susan Conn and Susan Conn (sister) and Richard Birch as witnesses at her marriage, I think Richard was her first husband, I do not know anything of George Vaughn. I believe Joseph Scutts and Susan (buried under the name of Mcmah or McMahon are buried together at Rookwood Cemetery, close to Clarice's infant.Fonzie

hi Fonziepage
    Susan married George Vaughan the same year 2st husbnd Richard died 1946. As Susan Vaughan is listed as the contact who supplied the info for Susan Florence Emma Conn's death details.
    Susan McMah nee Conn is buried under the surname McMah.
    if you want to contact me, either via ancestry or if you wish, I can give you my email address offline.
    regards
    Doreen

Hi Doreen and Fonziepage
    You can exchange email addresses here on BG by clicking on the members avatar and from the drop down menu choose Private Message (pm). They are exactly that - private. No-one else has access to them.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Settling in

Thank you Doreen to your prompt reply to my pm and for the info and research tips, as there are a lot of views on your thread I will try to use the thread where possible to allow others to respond. There is quite a lot of info on Susan McMah's father Edward particularly his court appearances ( he does not seem very likable) but I have not found any info on her mother Mary Ann Conn/Ross, who were her parents? did she have aboriginal blood? where was she born? I have heard she was born in Parramatta, how was she in Yass to marry Edward?, if she was 64 at her death in 1894 that would suggest a birth year of 1830, can't see on new BD&M in NSW.
    Regards Fonziepage

Hi Fonziepage
    there is a belief that Mary Ann was aboriginal. I have not yet been able to verify.
    I have had other family members contacting me as well. They are also trying to verify. The only way is probably DNA. That is why I asked my cousin a couple of years ago, to try and find out. That is when I found out his father was adopted.
    Edward Conn father of Susan was apparently married in England prior to being transported to Australi as a convict. This information was given by our great members of British origins.
    I have commended the members many times. They are very helpful and will lead you in the right direction.
    As Edward married Mary Ánn in Yass, I will email the 3 churches there to ask them to check their records for Mary ann's parents, if they are recorded. How many children do you have listed for Edward and Mary Ann. They had 10 children. John born 1852, died 1852, Edward, Alfred Henry 1857-1926, John R 1858-1859, Samuel 1860-1860, Thomas 1861-1861, Susan Florendce Emma 1862-1937, Francis A 1864-1867, Sydney Ernest 1867-1943, Elizabeth Bridget 1870-1960.
    Doreen

Settling in

Hi Doreen,
    I believe they were married in the Presbetyrian Church, church in Yass. I cannot find my list of the children at the moment but will keep looking. Re Elizibeth Bridget, her son Syd Jones would visit my grandmother Clarice towards the end of her life, I think she may have had several marriages and lived in Brisbane, some one told me her first marriage at a very young age perhaps 13.
    Regards Fonziepage

hi Fonziepage
    Elizabeth Bridget Jones nee Conn is listed in the Qld bdm as Elizabeth Bridget Jones nee Conn, date of death 13 Jul 1960 Brisbane.

I did find however a marrage of a Elizabeth B. Conn in 1881 to a George Alvaro in Sydney bdm.
    no children listed. no death of George before 1892. Suggest getting a copy of Elizabeth's death cert.

for your info, received George McMah's death cert this morning. The informant was the clerk at the Rookwood Asylum in Lidcombe. He put down that George was unmarried.
    Doreen

hi Fonzie page
    just did a google search for a George Alvaro 1881 Sydney. Came up with a criminal record for 1884 for bigamy. he got 2 years gaol. Also found births for a George Alvaro to an Ellen with 3 children. Eleanor Mary 1881 to George and Eleanor; Ada B. 1884 to a George and Ellen; George Henry 1878 to George and Eleanor.
    might be the same person who married Elizabeth.
    Doreen

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast