Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frederick peel

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Frederick peel

Hi all...

My great grandfather is Henry peel 1865-1938. His father is listed as Frederick peel who married Sarah Hutley.

Is anyone else researching this family? There is a lot of confusion surrounding them, Frederick isn't listed anywhere after 1871 I think it is.

Major brick wall been hit by many

Reputation beyond repute

Where?

Loves to help with queries

Sarah is a widow on 1881 census in Kent so Frederick must have died between 1871 and April 1881. There is a Frederick Robert whose death is registered London City in 1873 age 50 so just a few years out from given birth year of 1827.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes this is wot we weere thinking was the case. Can't see a marriage cert for Fred and Sarah anywhere either. Not sure if he had a middle name...

janbooth

As Peter has said in post 2 we do need as much information as you already have to enable us to search properly. The only Henry PEEL with parents Frederick and Sarah I can find in the 1871 census is one born c1867 in London who is living in Cheriton, Kent (RG10/1016, folio 47, page 61) - is this your Henry? Do you have his birth certificate which gives his mother's maiden name, as searching through the GRO Index, I cannot find a Henry PEEL born two years either side of 1865 with mother's maiden name shown as HUTLEY. If not, where did you get this information?

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Yes this is the one..im sure he was born 1865 but not got his birth cert so not sure. I'm sorry it's all so vague, just can't find much out about them at all

janbooth

Question answered by further searching of the children shown in the 1871 census of Cheriton as they are all registered in the surname HUTLEY at Marylebone reg district except for Lilian whose birth is registered in Kensington. So it seems likely that Frederick & Sarah never married. Will do some more digging.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

So Henry was registered Henry Hutley?

janbooth

This looks as if it could be the baptism for Arthur (source Ancestry's London parish registers) on 24 May 1863 at Holy Trinity, Paddington as Reginald Arthur Howarth PEEL son of Frederick & Sarah PEEL, Westbourne? Terrace, Coachman. However, I cannot find the baptisms of any of the other children - so far.

Janet

janbooth

Not too sure now! I picked up on the above baptism because of the fact that Arthur was one of his forenames and that he was the son of Frederick & Sarah PEEL, Frederick being a Coachman, which was the occupation shown for Frederick PEEL in the 1871 census. However, searching further on the GRO Index shows the birth registration of Reginald Arthur Howarth PEEL in June qtr 1863 at Kensington, mother's maiden name RHODES. No, ignore the above baptism as this Sarah PEEL is in the 1871 census of East Bergholt with her children.

So, back to square one and the HUTLEY children. Registration of an Arthur HUTLEY in the March qtr 1865 at Marylebone reg district, mother's maiden name HUTLEY. Registration of a Henry HUTLEY in the September qtr 1866 at Marylebone reg district, mother's maiden name HUTLEY. Registration of a Lilian HUTLEY in the June qtr 1868 at Kensington reg district, no mother's maiden name shown. However, I cannot find a birth registration for Frederick jnr either under HUTLEY or PEEL.

Tracing back both Frederick snr & Sarah in previous census records is proving difficult. I cannot find a Frederick PEEL born c1827 at Belper nor can I find a Sarah HUTLEY with any certainty in the 1861 census. More digging required, I think.

Janet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast