Thread: What is CC?

Starting to feel at home

Default What is CC?

Hi guys, Im wondering if anyone with experience of Court/Prison/Crime records could advise me as to what "CC" May mean. I am looking over some 1940s records. I have a Police Crime register which lists both a "divisional crime number" and a "C.C's Ref Number", this is before the Crown Courts existed which was my initial assumption, so Im slightly confused. Following the criminal onward, the Prison record lists under local authority "West Sussex CC", equally west sussex county council/crown court didnt exist at this time either, as so it cant be that?

So what may CC refer to in such records?

Many Thanks

Starting to feel at home

My apologies it does appear West Sussex County Council did exist (its form changed it 1971). So is the CC in the police crime register a county council reference number? meaning the county had a separate crime register to the local constabulary?

Brick wall demolition expert!

If its a criminal record I would have thought that CC is more like to be COUNTY COURT than County Council, or it could just be "criminal court" when you realise that the Old Bailey is in reality the Central Criminal Court.

Reputation beyond repute

"C.C's Ref Number"

County Constabulary, perhaps.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

I believe that Peter is correct. The West Sussex County Constabulary existed from 1857 until 1967.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Reputation beyond repute

Also, for part of the 1940s, the various divisions were united temporarily into one single county force for Sussex.

Starting to feel at home

thanks guys, Im going to try to follow this county constabulary lead, I can see from the WS archive site there are many police records, leading into this though Im not positive what I should be looking for, this individual was tried and convicted in Surrey, its a month before his arrival at the final prison, where he is listed as local authority west sussex cc, so possible moved for a month to a holding prison or something in west sussex first?