Question Help Reading Birth Cert

Hi I need some help reading the Birth cert.
    I read it as,

The mother:
    Violet Coulson Caisley Formerly Mitcheson
    and the fathers
    Colliery heaver

I can't read under section7 after Thomas Caisley

many thanks in advance

undefined

undefined

Allan F Sparrow

Section 6: Coal Hewer, I think, not Heaver.
    Section 7: Thomas Caisley, Father, 22 ?Anson's? Road, Bedlington Station. The name of the road could also be several other things, so perhaps a street map of Bedlington might help? Not an area I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan F Sparrow View Post
    Section 6: Coal Hewer, I think, not Heaver.
    many thanks for the help,
    that may mean my other Certs and Census returns for other family members I have been miss reading all this time,

Ill hazard a guess the address is still in existence so Ill Google search that to see what comes up

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Definitely coal hewer for occupation.

Queen's Road for the address?
    I first read the word after Bedlington as 'Union' but looking at a map I saw Bedlington Station primary school, so I think station might be correct.
    There is a Queen's Road about four streets away from the school. You need to look at an old map to see if the road is marked on a map more 'local' to the time of the certificate.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    Definitely coal hewer for occupation.

Queen's Road for the address?
    I first read the word after Bedlington as 'Union' but looking at a map I saw Bedlington Station primary school, so I think station might be correct.
    There is a Queen's Road about four streets away from the school. You need to look at an old map to see if the road is marked on a map more 'local' to the time of the certificate.

Pam

many thanks for the help,
    Where would I find old maps please?
    and this cert is from 1936 if that helps at all?

Allan F Sparrow

I think Pam has the address right - Queen's Road. That wasn't one of my other interpretations, but I can see Queen's now I've been prompted!
    Hewer and heaver were both commonly used terms, describing different jobs; as I understand it, one was usually a heaver before one became a hewer, actually cutting coal at the coal-face. That was the case with one of my grandfathers, at any rate.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

I usually use https://www.
    old-maps.co.uk/#/
    (split because clickable links to commercial sites are not allowed; just copy-and-paste the bit on the second line)

Whichever you use, enter Sleekburn as the place. In a map dated 1937 Queen's Road is just above the name of Sleekburn. Bedlington Junction (as opposed to Bedlington Station) is slightly left and up a bit.

Always select the highest 'resolution' possible so a 1:2,500 map is better than a 1:10,560.

Queen's Road isn't shown on the 1922 and 1924 maps but is on the 1937 one. I noticed there's a King's Road running parallel, and have come to the conclusion that they might have been built about 1934-1935, just before the Silver Jubilee of George V. Might be totally wrong of course. George and Mary might have visited the area earlier, and the roads were built and named then.
    Must be connected to George and Mary, because I've just noticed two roads branching off at the eastern ends of the roads. One's Edward Road (Edward VIII) and the other's Albert Road, and Albert became George VI.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Caisley View Post
    Where would I find old maps please?
    I generally use National Library of Scotland maps.
    Regards
    Malcolm