Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Baxter and Mobbs

3rd time lucky , maybe! I will try again.
    I did research on these families for a family member a few of years ago.
    All in the Polesworth, Warwick area. [Reg. area of Atherstone, Parish of Polesworth.]
    Census 1841 --I have a Richard Baxter 12, with a Sarah Baxter widow aged 75 , , living at Dordon [,a hamlet] Polesworth. was she his Grand Mother? quite likely I thought.
    Richard Baxter b. 25 Jan 1829, only mother noted ,Catherine Baxter .

I checked out Sarah Baxter and found her married to William Baxter and had a large family and their youngest daughter is Catherine who was b.6 Oct.1808 c. 30 Oct 1808.Polesworth.
    Next I checked Catherine to find a Marriage. a Catherine Baxter 20, of Dordon, Polesworth married Thomas Wilkins 28 of Kingsbury and labourer, on 29th May 1833
    Census 1841 -- Thomas Wilkins 40 and wife ,Catherine 30 and Sarah 3 months., living at Polesworth..
    Census 1851--- Thomas Wilkins, 44 Catherine 38 Ricd. Baxter son 21 unm. coal miner and Sarah 10 and Maria 3, both b at Dordon.
    Richard Baxter married Charlotte Hall , dau of Thomas Hall and Ann Lewis
    Census 1851 -- Charlotte Hall 17 is a general servant at Outwood Farm Mancetter, Warwick [ just nearby]
    Charoltte was b. and c. at Baxterley 29th Dec 1833
    Her parents lived at Grendon , [all in the same parish]
    Having found Richard living with his mother in the 1851 census . I think ,makes this correct. I hope so.

Hi Frolic:
    Thats heaps awesome.
    did you find all the names of William and Sarah's children or only Catherine and Richard? I believe the reason Richard was living with his grandparents was due to the fact he was working in the mines at that time. and I do have that Charlotte was working at the Alcocks in the 1851 census. but didnt have the address as you have supplied. Thankyou. I have found during the 1800's there were at least three Richard Baxter's that married a Catherine Walker, but all different dates, it must have been a common name but then I have found many situations like that with other research. But I am pretty sure you are on the right path, or at least it corresponds with my research Frolic.
    So it looks as if Catherine and Thomas Wilkins (nee Baxter) had three children, Richard, Sarah, no doubt named after her mother, and Maria.
    Sandy.

Hi again frolic.
    According to my research William Baxter and Sarah Baxter had 10 children.
    Elizabeth, William, Ann, Richard (Catherine Walker), Charles, Charlotte, (Richard Putney) Mary, Catherine (Thomas Wilkins) Alice and John.
    Naturally I could be wrong.
    Regards Sandy

Hi again Frolic.
    This is the records I have for the Baxter's.
    undefined

Although I don’t hold the marriage certificate but my Uncle does and I must get a copy off him which states that Richard Baxter married Charlotte hall in 1852 after Banns in Polesworth and the certificate shows the parents as Richard Baxter and Thomas Hall. William Wainwright and Emma hall witnessed the marriage. Emma hall was Charlotte’s sister and and she married William Wainwright on the 25/2/1853 and they had seven children. William Wainwright’s sister Maria Wainwright married a Joseph Barnes and they accompanied Richard and Charlotte on the voyage to Australia in 1855 aboard the immigration ship the telegraph, the two families took up land together in Truro South Australia two years after arriving in Port Adelaide. Richard Baxter’s son William married a Sarah Mobbs and Joseph Barnes’s son also named Joseph and his wife accompanied William and Sarah around 1895 to a town called Peak Hill in N.S.W.

Just to correct a typo error, where I have down Richard living with his Sister, should be living with his Aunty.
    But she may well have been his mother, even though I have found quite a few mistakes on census and even instances where people have gone out of their way to fool the census guys, they used to even board up their windows so as to avoid the window tax back then which I believe led to the window tax being abolished. But if Catherine Baxter was his mother and not Richard Baxter, Why would he have put Richard on his marriage Banns and certificate as his father? and in some cases he has described Richard the father as a farmer? And if that's the case than Richard Baxter who was Catherine's older brother would have been his Uncle? Maybe he referred to his Uncle as his father to give credibility to his honour so to speak.
    Sandy.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Baxter and Mobbs

The reason I think [at this moment!] that Richard Baxter is the son of Catherine Baxter who married Thomas Wilkins , is that the census for 1851 lists him as Ricd. Baxter son 21 unm coal miner, he is living or visiting Thomas Wilkins and family on night of census.
    I have checked out other Richards and Catherine but the dates are not good.
    Also I found a death for a Richard Baxter aged 13 b. 1803 and bur.22 Dec 1816. But at St Editha ,Polesworth where a William Baxter was buried in 1836 This maybe is the brother of Catherine, son of William and Sarah.
    But to add to the puzzle, a Richard Baxter married a Mary Merryman 14 Ap 1824 at Poleworth, wit. William Baxter signed X also Eliz. White also X, they have many children but no Richard.
    So I don't think the Richard Baxter Farmer on the marriage means a lot. Maybe just to save face.
    Richard in the 1851 census has b. Bentley , which is near Stustoke where Sarah Baxter was born.
    My thinking is that Catherine got pregnant, went off to Bentley to have Richard ,brought him home to Polewsorth to be Christened and Mother Sarah , looked after him for his early years, as he isn'twith Thomas ad Catherine Wil;kins in the 1841 census even though they all lived in the same place.
    I have seen both the banns and Marriage cert. F. Richard is only on the Marriage cert.
    My thoughts, there are such a large number of Baxter's around this area, this may help

Hi Frolic, yes it looks as if you might be right, even though I prefer my version LOL. But in either case it seems that we both agree that Richards grandparents were William Baxter and Sarah Hacket.
    I don’t want to totally dismiss that Richards father could have been named Richard even if it wasn’t Baxter and he could have been named after him even though Catherine didn’t marry him. I think what I will do for my tree is bracket both versions. (at least one of them should be right LOL) So thank you for that information but I would love to find out more about Catherine’s brothers and sisters and your research has been awesome.
    Today a friend from England sent me a photo of the headstone of William and Sarah Baxter so that is very exciting for me as it adds a lot to research.
    Sandy.

Can anybody HELP?
    In relation to Catherine Wilkins, Nee Baxter, I have discovered that she lived and died at a place called "Avins Yard" Atherston having lived there for some years and also with her Grandson there at 40 Avins yard in the 1881 census. I have found old photos of Avins Yard but cannot find any modern day ones. can anyone tell me if that particular yard still exists today.
    Sandy

Knowledgeable and helpful

Avins Courtyard, Station Street, Atherstone, CV9 1BZ.

It looks like the area was redeveloped with a terrace of 6 cottages, which can be seen on streetview (or similar!).

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by elsinore View Post
    Avins Courtyard, Station Street, Atherstone, CV9 1BZ.

It looks like the area was redeveloped with a terrace of 6 cottages, which can be seen on streetview (or similar!).

Peter
    Thank you Peter, What a shame.
    I was hoping that number 40 would be still standing, but its still good to know where Catherine lived and to have a couple of photos of the houses in the yard around the time she was there.
    Sandy.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast