Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Job Boulton of Droitwich and Bridgnorth

This is about my overall brickwall of Job Boulton of Droitwich and his son, also named Job. I am posting in hopes of getting new ideas and a fresh perspective.

Job Boulton, chandler, of Droitwich, married Mary Allen (daughter of John and Mercy, bap 1662 at Droitwich ), also of Droitwich, 16 April 1688, St Michael, Bedwardine, Worcester, Worcestershire, by license. The bondsman being John Perry, also of St Michael Bedwardine.

They had the following children: Mary (married Edward Brook), Henry (died young), Mercy (died young), Job (married Mary Green), Rebeckah, Richard (married Anne Rastall), and Thomas, and were buried in 1729 (Droitwich) and 1730 (Dodderhill). I don't know what became of Thomas or Rebeckah. Job didn't leave a will, Mary only an administration.

I haven't been able to find a baptism or any proven family members for him. A Mary Bolton, wife of John Bolton, chandler, was buried in 1706 at Droitwich, which may be related.

There are these documents at the National Archives which may be relevant, and I am planning on getting copies of them when I can afford to hire someone to look into them for me. The thing is the marriage of Job is the earliest parish register entry that mentions anyone called by that name. All the other, later, entries in Worcestershire are men descended from him. I also have no idea how old he was when he married, so it is not impossible that the man in the 1672 documents was him, though I do think it is more likely to be a relative.

C 7/149/56
    Description:
    Short title: Huntington v Oldfield.
    Plaintiffs: John Huntington alias John Butler.
    Defendants: Job Boulton, [unknown] Oldfield and others.
    Place or subject: property in Feckenham, Worcestershire.
    Document type: eight answers
    Date: 1672
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew

C 5/503/29
    Description:
    Short title: Huntington v Boulton.
    Plaintiffs: John Huntington alias John Butler and others.
    Defendants: Robert Boulton, Richard Fisher, Sibill Fisher, his wife, and others.
    Subject: property in Feckenham, Warwickshire.
    Document type: Answer
    Date: 1673
    Held by: The National Archives, Kew

C 8/504/2
    Description:
    Short title: Bolton v Waringe.
    Plaintiffs: Job Bolton, Joseph Bolton, John Harrison, Edward Morgan and Mary Morgan his wife.
    Defendants: John Waringe, Richard Riall, John Riall, Edward Riall and John Price.
    Subject: property in Alvechurch, Worcestershire.
    Document type: bill and three answers
    Date:
    Held by:
    The National Archives, Kew

I am particularly interested in Joseph Bolton, as a Joseph Bolton of Dodderhill married Anne Brineton of Hindlip, 30 Jun 1694, St Michael Bedwardine

My next entry will be about Job's son, also named Job.

Job Boulton the younger was baptised Droitwich, 22 Mar 1694/95.

On 3 Mar 1722/23 he married Mary Green, widow. I don't know her maiden name, her husband's name, or if she had children by her previous marriage. They didn't marry by license unfortunately

They had one child I know of, Charlotte, who was baptised 25 Nov 1724, St Andrew, Droitwich.

And it is there that Job vanishes. I can't find a burial for either him or his wife Mary in Worcestershire or any trace of him in the county after that.

I did find a possible marriage for Charlotte, to a John Weaver, 1743 in Dodderhill. I have no idea if this was by license or not, but I'm planning to follow up on it. They had six children: John, Mary, Mary, Margaret, Nancy, and George, all baptised at Dodderhill.

I haven't found any burial of a Charlotte Weaver in Worcestershire, or anything definite about what happened to her and her husband who appear to have left Dodderhill at some point, the common surname not helping.

Then there's Job Boulton of Bridgnorth, who appears in Shropshore around 1727, and can't be found earlier, and received property at Callow Hill, Feckenham in the 1755 will of Mary Rudge. Mary Rudge had married three times, her maiden name being Boulton. She was the daughter of William Boulton of Callow Hill and Mary his wife, her only other close relative I've been able to find being her nephew Joseph Boulton, who may possibly be the son of John and Martha Boulton of St Michael Bedwardine

My theory is that two Job Boultons are the same, but there are a few problems I've had proving it.

Job Boulton of Bridgnorth married Joanna Thomas, 1 April 1733, Shrewsbury, Shropshire, by license. Unfortunately the license did not survive. Joanna appears to be related to a Thomas family of Chester

I have these children for Job and Joanna, all from the IGI, and all in Shropshire

Mary, bap 19 Jul 1735, St Chad's, Shrewsbury (probably died young)
    William, bap 1738, Market Drayton (died 1760)
    Jemima, bap 25 Jul 1742, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth (died young)
    Joseph, bap 13 Nov 1743, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth, married Anne Sparry; note, Joseph had a daughter Charlotte; died 1696 at Bath, Somerset. Haven't found a will or a burial
    Susanna, bap 12 May 1745, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth, married John Haslewood; online trees give a year of death of 1824, but I haven't found proof as yet
    Thomas, bap 8 Mar 1746/47, St Leonard's, Bridgnorth, died unmarried; PCC will 1833, does not provide clues to brickwall

Job's will, dated to 1777, does not mention Charlotte or any of the Weaver children, which concerns me quite a bit. I haven't found another baptism for a Charlotte Bolton or Boulton in Worcestershire in any of the records I've checked, nor a burial for a Charlotte Bolton, Boulton, or Weaver in Shropshire.

I have not yet got a copy of his wife's will (dates 1804). I haven't found a burial for either of them on the records on FindMyPast.

I was thinking of tracing Job of Bridgnorth's grandchildren and seeing if any of them left wills, but I can't help thinking that may be a waste of time. I was holding out a lot of hope that the license would at least give me his marital status, so I'm feeling a bit down at the moment.

If anyone has any ideas or feedback, I'd very much welcome them.

Oops, forgot that Charlotte Boulton married by banns

I've since made some good progress on this brick wall.

The 1687 document turned out to be relevant. And I have followed up the clues in it.

My new information is as follows:

Job (described as being of Wych) was under the age of 21 in 1687, and he had a brother, Joseph, of Stratford Upon Avon, also under the age of 21, and a sister Rebecca, who died in 1681 (having married in 1678 in Alderminster), and who was the wife of John Harrison of Henley in Arden, wheelwright.

Sadly, although Joseph Bolton of Dodderhill and Alice Brineton married by license, the record hasn't survived, and I have no way of knowing for certain if that is the same Joseph.

Their mother was Mary, who later married Joseph Cart of Henley in Arden. I have not yet found their marriage. Joseph was born c. 1654, son of William Cart of Alvechurch). Joseph died in 1679, leaving legacies to his wife and three stepchildren. The will also listed three trustees, William Bolton (called yeoman of Feckenham), Thomas Jenkins, and John Waring.

Mary married a (third?) time in 1680 to Edward Morgan of Alcester, a merchant and dyer. I have found a possible burial for her in Droitwich in 1707. Edward remarried to Penelope Badger 1710 in St Michael Bedwardine. He died in 1713 and left a will, leaving legacies to Ann, William, and Thomas Bolton. I haven't, yet, identified them. He also left legacies to a son, John. I suspect that John may have been his son from a previous marriage.

Edward Morgan appears in a 1683 document with a John Jones, a malster, also of Alcester, a malster. The names of both Edward Morgan and John Jones appear in the probate records of William Boulton, malster, of Feckenham, who died in 1700, in which John Jones is called his uncle. This William Boulton was the son of William Boulton of Ham Green, Feckenham, and his wife Ann, maiden name unknown, who later married Henry Cooke.

I also found a bit more about William Boulton of Callow Hill. He likely had a previous wife, Ann, who was buried 1693 in Ipsley. His daughter, Mary, married her first husband, John Carter, of Causen, there in the same year.

Finally, I decided to look a bit more about a possible marriage of Job Bolton senior's daughter Rebeckah. I found a marriage of a James Tickle to a Rebeckah Bolton but, as the Tickles weren't a prominent family, I dismissed it. Now I know that Job senior's sister married a wheelwright, I am looking at it with new eyes, because, although James was a blacksmith, his father, George, and his brother, Thomas, were both wheelwrights. If this is the correct marriage, it is very interesting, since they had a daughter, Avis Norris Tickle, which may, I think, be a clue Mary Cart (previously Bolton's) maiden name.

As always, any ideas would be welcomed. And, if someone could find the marriage of Joseph Cart and Mary, I'd be grateful.