Loves to help with queries

Default London Probate Index 1750-1858 question

An entry in this index might possibly help to solve the mystery of my x3 great-grandfather, (Charles) Richard Rogers. He was baptised simply "Richard" in 1780, but is referred to in a couple of later records as "Charles Richard".

I have him as "Richard" on his second son John's baptism on 21/3/1819, but his wife Ruth re-married in 1821 and I've been unable to find any record of his death.

There's an entry in the LPI for a Charles Rogers with a probate date of July 1819, place: "Foreign Parts". His elder son's marriage certificate in 1844 gives his occupation as "mariner", although earlier records for him that state an occupation give "victualler" (as was his father before him).

I've wondered if he was pressed into the navy during the Napoleonic Wars, as he was living close to the Thames at Rotherhithe, and he and Ruth married during the brief Peace of Amiens in 1803. Their daughter Ann was born in 1805, followed by a very long gap until the birth of their first son Charles in 1817, explicable only (I assume) by his enforced absence.

The key element I don't understand in the LPI entry reads: "Notes - Ms Prince Regent". I at first assumed this to refer to the frigate HMS Prince Regent, but that had been re-named HMS Kingston in December 1814. Can anyone please offer any alternative explanation for "Ms Prince Regent"?

I wasn't sure if I should have posted this in the maritime section, but thought I'd start here as I'm not convinced this does actually refer to a naval vessel!

Reputation beyond repute

I at first assumed this to refer to the frigate HMS Prince Regent, but that had been re-named HMS Kingston in December 1814
    Don't know but there is this entry in the National Archives catalogue...

https://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C4127522

This is one of the files people search looking for a rating's name.

If what you're looking at is an index, shouldn't you be obtaining a copy of the administration? Could be informative.

I've just discovered there was in fact a "Prince Regent" built at Shields in 1810, which subsequently transported convicts from 1820. I now need to find out its history from 1810 to 1819, so I WILL post that in the maritime section...

Thanks, Peter - that National Archives record certainly covers the period of that vessel's service that is relevant to me. I'll follow that up, and also see if I can get further detail on the administration.

The copy of the 1819 administration for Charles Rogers I'm after was from the London Commissary Court, the records of which are held at the London Metropolitan Archive. But when I tried to drill down to the relevant section on the LMAs website, I got as far as the Probate and Administration Account Book for that Court, only to find it starts at 1820, the year after the one I'm interested in! I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here?

Reputation beyond repute

I'm not quite sure how to proceed from here
    It may be best to contact LMA and ask them.