Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home

Default James Wemyss and Priscilla Kelly

G'day

James and Priscilla Wemyss are my 4x great-grandparents. Priscilla (nee Kelly) was transported to Sydney for uttering forged notes. Her ticket of leave and other convict papers from Australia state her DOB as 1804 in Lanarkshire/Glasgow but I cannot find a birth record for her. I would like to trace her line back further.

Also looking for any info on her husband James Wemyss (m. Jan 1823 in Mauchline) who followed her to Sydney, particularly socioeconomic background. If anyone could recommend some places to search and/or some record sets to investigate, I'd be very grateful. Ancestry has not turned up much.

Thanks from sunny Sydney!
    M.

janbooth

Scotland's People website have two records for the marriage of James WEMYSS & Priscilla KELLY. The first is in St Quivox on 22 December 1822, which may well be a Banns record, and the other at Mauchline on 10 January 1823. If the first record is a Banns record, that may well be an indication of where one of them was living at the time of their marriage. You really need to buy some credits and look at the actual marriage record, if you have not already done so, as hopefully this will give you more information about James & Priscilla. I cannot find a baptismal record for a Priscilla KELLY c1804 in Lanarkshire on Scotland's People and there are several baptisms for a James WEMYSS in the appropriate timescale so you really do need any extra information you can glean from the marriage record/s.

Janet

If you take a look at our "General Scottish" forum, you'll find a collection of how-to and where-to messages at the top. They cover the basics of Scottish research. Start with the one of Church records because BMDs didn't start in Scotland until 1855 and so the Church records are our main source for the period you're dealing with, and there are complications and limitations...

Do you have any info on James' occupation?

janbooth

The convict record for Priscilla shows that husband James WEMYSS at Kilmarnock was a Shoemaker, Lesley.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    The convict record for Priscilla shows that husband James WEMYSS at Kilmarnock was a Shoemaker, Lesley.

Janet
    Yes, that much I know but I'm hopeless, I like to delve REALLY deep!!

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Lesley! Much appreciated.

Starting to feel at home

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Scotland's People website have two records for the marriage of James WEMYSS & Priscilla KELLY. The first is in St Quivox on 22 December 1822, which may well be a Banns record, and the other at Mauchline on 10 January 1823. If the first record is a Banns record, that may well be an indication of where one of them was living at the time of their marriage. You really need to buy some credits and look at the actual marriage record, if you have not already done so, as hopefully this will give you more information about James & Priscilla. I cannot find a baptismal record for a Priscilla KELLY c1804 in Lanarkshire on Scotland's People and there are several baptisms for a James WEMYSS in the appropriate timescale so you really do need any extra information you can glean from the marriage record/s.

Janet
    Thanks Jan, for taking the time to look into that. Very nice of you. I wonder if Priscilla was actually baptised or the record was lost in a fire or something.... I think I will order her death cert from NSW BDM to see if I can glean anything about her father.

Dundee10

Civil registration didn't start in NSW until 1856 so the entry in the BDM indexes is a record of burial not a death certificate. It won't contain any more information than is shown in the indexes.

Dundee10

A copy of the precognition might provide more information. You can apply for a quote to copy the record but depending on how large it is you may have to get together with others and share the cost. Mine was over $200 but it was hundreds of pages as a lot of people gave evidence. It doesn't hurt to get a quote and decide if you want to go ahead. I think I had to phone them with my CC details but it was quite awhile ago now and they will give you the current payment options.

https://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/n...0&dt=1840&di=y

https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/resear...pying-services

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Visiting Kilmarnock

Quote Originally Posted by missmandyjane View Post
    G'day

James and Priscilla Wemyss are my 4x great-grandparents. Priscilla (nee Kelly) was transported to Sydney for uttering forged notes. Her ticket of leave and other convict papers from Australia state her DOB as 1804 in Lanarkshire/Glasgow but I cannot find a birth record for her. I would like to trace her line back further.

Also looking for any info on her husband James Wemyss (m. Jan 1823 in Mauchline) who followed her to Sydney, particularly socioeconomic background. If anyone could recommend some places to search and/or some record sets to investigate, I'd be very grateful. Ancestry has not turned up much.

Thanks from sunny Sydney!
    M.
    Dear M,
    I am also a descendent of James and Priscilla. I will be visiting Kilmarnock in September this year and hope to find some evidence of the places they may have seen during the time they resided there. I have a copy of the court records relating to Priscilla's transportation so I am hoping to see the court in which she was sentenced in Ayr as well. If it is possible I will post copies of photos when we return to Sydney.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast