Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default James & Priscilla

Hello M [& Dundee 10],

James Wemyss was the brother of my 2xgreatgrandmother Mary Wemyss (married to John Humphrey, calico printer, of Kilmarnock). It was his family's letters back to her from Sydney, 1829-1846, which first triggered my interest in their doings, though I didn't realize till later that Priscilla was a convict.

My Dad donated those letters to the National Library in Canberra [catalogued as Vn 130675] back in the 1960s, but I kept photocopies and made transcripts, with added notes. If you or someone else is interested, I can send copies.

I also have info on Priscilla Kelly's 1826 Kilmarnock/Ayr trial and transportation (Louisa 1827) if you need. Also on the 1832/2 Glasgow trial and transportation to NSW (Buffalo, 1833) of her younger sister Elizabeth Kelly. Also on the 1823/4 Glasgow trial (and acquittal) of another probable younger sister, Maria Kelly. This probably all adds up to information overkill for you, but just let me know if you're interested in any of it: humphreyjohn(AT)rogers.com.

I'd be interested to know how you descend from James & Priscilla, and any information about the next few generations in Australia. I've had a few contacts down the years.

BTW I live in Toronto, Canada

Best regards, J

Quote Originally Posted by missmandyjane View Post
    G'day

James and Priscilla Wemyss are my 4x great-grandparents. Priscilla (nee Kelly) was transported to Sydney for uttering forged notes. Her ticket of leave and other convict papers from Australia state her DOB as 1804 in Lanarkshire/Glasgow but I cannot find a birth record for her. I would like to trace her line back further.

Also looking for any info on her husband James Wemyss (m. Jan 1823 in Mauchline) who followed her to Sydney, particularly socioeconomic background. If anyone could recommend some places to search and/or some record sets to investigate, I'd be very grateful. Ancestry has not turned up much.

Thanks from sunny Sydney!
    M.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

As mentioned in my last post I have now returned from Scotland and I was able to visit the courthouse in Ayr where Priscilla received her sentence of transportation to NSW. I was also able to spend time in Kilmarnock but the old High Street where James had his shoe making business is I was informed no longer in existence. I will investigate how I can attach photos to the post and if possible I will do that.
    I have copies of the letters James send back to Scotland to his sister Mary which are a window into the life of the family at the time.

Welcome back from your lovely trip, I am green.
    To post photos click on reply and make sure you are in the advanced reply page which has all the symbols above the reply box. Click on the picture frame which is to the right of the globe, click on Browse, choose the file/photo you need from its place on your computer then click on upload. Done! Just make sure the file is not too big or it won't upload.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

janbooth

Me too, Christina, and how lovely that this Forum has brought relatives together to share information - what a great result for all concerned and how fascinating to have such personal information available.

Janet

Photos of old streets can still be found in the form of postcards. There were quite a few mobile photographers wandering around Scotland at the end of the 19th/beginning of the 20th centuries. Even tiny villages can often be found on Ebay (other similar sites are available).

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear Christanel,
    I have tried to add a photo to a post as suggested but the answer indicated is a failure #1. Can you help with that?
    Linden E

Hi Linden
    I have nit experienced that response when uploading a photo. Could it be that it is too large/too many pixels.
    If I want to make pictures smaller for any web site I just half the amount of pixels and that seems to work.
    If this doesn't work let us know and I will get on to admin.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12