Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

I'm not sure whether you've seen this one.

Births Mar 1924
    Cooke Maggie, MMN Hardwick, Pontardawe 11a 1948

ETA: maybe not a contender as I've just found this
    Deaths Mar 1924
    Cooke Maggie age 0 Pontardawe 11a 1261
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thanks so much for your time and suggestions, Alma

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    I have spent some time this evening on Margaret the younger's birth reg, no luck. I'm beginning to think perhaps Hilda wasn't her mother, or her birthday wasn't Dec 1923.
    I think if Hilda’s not her real mother then I’m not sure I’d know how to find her. I did check GRO adoptions but this would have happened pre 1927 anyway..)
    But I’m now not so attached to 31/12/1923 as her DOB though. I think I’ll check the GRO later for this one again, but check if the mother's first name is Hilda:

MARGARET SEDGWICK
    Q1 1924
    Mother's last name Hardwick
    Sheffield

I checked before but only said I wanted it if the DOB was 31/12/1923, which the GRO said it’s not. Worth a go?

Starting to feel at home

Back to the George and Margaret line of enquiry for a sec -

If George Sollars had managed to marry Margaret Jones with his false name (George Jones) before their children, William and Reginald were born (1904/05), would the mother's name on their birth certificates be 'Margaret Jones, formerly Jones, formerly Smith'? Reginald's birth certificate says mother's name is 'Margaret Jones, formerly Smith', indicating his mother Margaret only married once before he was born.

I don't think George and Margaret actually married... How easy would it have been anyway to assume a false name and then marry with it?

Quote Originally Posted by PascalePC View Post
    Back to the George and Margaret line of enquiry for a sec -

If George Sollars had managed to marry Margaret Jones with his false name (George Jones) before their children, William and Reginald were born (1904/05), would the mother's name on their birth certificates be 'Margaret Jones, formerly Jones, formerly Smith'? Reginald's birth certificate says mother's name is 'Margaret Jones, formerly Smith', indicating his mother Margaret only married once before he was born.

I don't think George and Margaret actually married... How easy would it have been anyway to assume a false name and then marry with it?
    To answer your example where mother has been previously married the certificate should say: Margaret Jones, late Jones formerly Smith.

As to:
    How easy would it have been anyway to assume a false name
    As many have done so in the past I guess not very difficult, particularly if they marry outside their local parish. I have an example in my tree of my g.g.uncle's wife marrying bigamously in the 1890's, AND the bigamous marriage was in church but a church about 20miles from where she lived and married the first time.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Alma.
    Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    To answer your example where mother has been previously married the certificate should say: Margaret Jones, late Jones formerly Smith.
    I'm thinking George and Margaret didn't marry then, for this reason (Reginald's birth certificate says mother's name is 'Margaret Jones, formerly Smith'). It would also make more sense then to have George's death recorded as his real identity: George Sollars (if George Jones wasn't his real or his married name). The lack of evidence of George Jones' identity at his time of death may have made this the only option anyway?

I wonder what happened to Margaret Jones (senior, born 1877) after 1931?

After the 1911 census of them with Reginald and William, the next known records of George and Margaret Jones are these electoral roll records:

1927 electoral roll.
    24, Saint Luke’s Street, Hull, Yorkshire
    George Jones
    Margaret Jones

1928 electoral roll.
    George Jones
    Margaret Jones

1929 electoral roll.
    George Jones
    Margaret Jones
    Frederick Howe

1930 electoral roll.
    George Jones
    Margaret Jones
    William Arthur Jones (with an a next to it - absent voter, I think?)

1931 electoral roll.
    George Jones
    Margaret Jones
    William Arthur Jones
    Reginald Wyndham Jones
    Hilda Jones

The next record I have for George Jones is what I believe to be him when he died, as George W E Sollars again:
    Death record:
    GEORGE W E SOLLARS
    Birth year 1863
    Age 69
    Q2 1932
    Hull, Yorkshire
    Volume 9D, Page 306 ....

Starting to feel at home

I'm probably mad, but as I still have no clue about my grandmother Margaret's birth record, I have complied a list to check one by one with the GRO, comprising of these subheadings:-

So I'm checking 1923 (+-2yrs)
    Female baby Hardwicks, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Jones, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Margarets, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Mary, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Ediths, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Florences, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Gertrude, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Mabel, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Kate, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Alices, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Nellie/Ellen, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Annies, MMN Hardwick
    Female baby Emma, MMN Hardwick
    Female babies, born Hull, MMN Hardwick
    Margarets born in Q1 1924 in Hull with a different MMN (check DOB 31/12/1923) in case Hilda and Reginald adopted a Margaret.

*The other names in the above sub headings are mother's, sister's and auntie's names. I can't find a record for Hilda's mum's mum to see what she was called. Hilda's mum was called Edith Mary Day (born 1864)*

It's going to take me ages as I'll just be paying, then getting a refund for each one, but I might just find something(??????) Before I check with the GRO, I need to eliminate a) the ones I've already checked, and b) ones that appear married or in census/electoral roll records elsewhere....

Does this sound like a good call?

Does this sound like a good call?
    Yes, as what is there to lose. And you aren't at all mad, or if you are I must be too as it's the sort of approach I'd make Searching all potential avenues could produce a result.

I shall be out all afternoon but can look back here this evening to see if I can add anything.
    Alma

Starting to feel at home

Thanks so much, Alma And for making me feel sane too, haha. Have a good day

Female babies, born Hull, MMN Hardwick
    Margarets born in Q1 1924 in Hull with a different MMN (check DOB 31/12/1923) in case Hilda and Reginald adopted a Margaret.
    For those two you could also check Sculcoates which is basically Hull.
    Alma

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456