Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Loves to help with queries

I thought the Will on the National Archives for Nicholas was for 1739 and ordered it, but it turned out to be the 1704 one. This is fine as I am pretty sure he was the father of the later Nicholas. At this stage it has given me the names of his children and three grandchildren, and that he was a Carpenter. All very useful information.
    I sent an email to Bristol Archives asking what I needed to do to order the Thomas Taylor Will of 1754 but will now also order the 1739 Nicholas Will. I received a reply from Bristol Archives that they would get back to me within two weeks! I'm not sure if there is a quicker way of ordering. I haven't ordered anything from them before. Hopefully these Wills will confirm the parents of Thomas Taylor (1713) and indeed if the 1754 Will is his.
    I haven't yet got round to transcribing the Will I have received but when I do I am happy to share it with anyone who might have an interest.
    Thanks for your help Janet
    Mary

janbooth

Fingers crossed for you Mary.

Janet

I am now impatiently waiting to hear back from Bristol Archives!

Hi Everyone - just to keep you up to date. I eventually received the two Wills from Bristol. The 1739 Will was a poor copy and difficult to read but I was able to ascertain names and relationships which was great. From there I discovered a whole world of my 'Quaker Family' in Bristol which has been a very interesting exercise. I have discovered that the brother of my 7 x great Grandfather Samuel Hollister, was Dennis Hollister, a leading light in Quakers in Bristol. He had also been an MP in Cromwell's 'Barebones' Parliament. His granddaughter, Hannah Callowhill was William Penn's second wife. She was obviously a very intelligent woman and effectively administered the Province of Pennsylvania for six years after her husband suffered a serious of strokes. One hundred and twenty five Quakers were imprisoned in Bristol, including Dennis I haven't researched that part properly yet. So many thanks to everyone for their help in my search.
    Mary

janbooth

Great result for you, Mary, and thank you for letting us know the outcome. Now you have a whole new "world" to discover as you say.

Janet

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Funnily, I have found just the opposite and it gave me some confusion until I saw the pattern. Certainly, within my family tree, I see the use of the same name frequently where an earlier child has died and a subsequent child has received the same name.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123