Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default Quaker Birth Records

I have a Thomas Taylor, son of Thomas and Deborah Taylor whose birth record (11/9/1715) was in a register for the "Monthly Meeting of South Somerset (Piece Description Piece 1439: Monthly Meeting of South Somerset (to 1783), and Mid-Somerset (1657-1748)

Thomas Jnr's marriage and children were all born (and some died) in Bristol and those Quaker registers were from the Monthly Meetings of Bristol.

I am trying to ascertain where he was actually born. I cannot find out what areas the South Somerset meetings covered. Could he have been born in Bristol? I cannot find a marriage for his parents.

I am hoping someone might be able to help me here.

Always grateful for help I have previously received on this site.
    Mary

Reputation beyond repute

I am trying to ascertain where he was actually born
    Are you looking at the original manuscript record?

Knowledgeable and helpful

According to the Quaker Births Transcription his birth place was Cadbury.

The entries on the page read as follows

Thomas son of Thomas Taylor and Deborah his wife was born 11 July 1715 (Transcription says September)

Thomas son of Thomas Taylor and his wife was born 18 June 1716

John son of Thomad and Deborah Taylor was born 19 March 1718

Eliz. daughter of Thomas Taylor and Deborah his wife born the 24 Nov 1720

Emeltee

Reputation beyond repute

Would someone else like to look at the original? It's on Ancestry.

The page is headed Cadbury, right enough.

But have a look at the three consecutive entries of which "Thomas son of Thomas Taylor and Deborah" is the third.

To my eyes, the first record says "of Castle Cary". The second says "of the same". The third (Mary's ancestor) says "of ditto".

My eyes are a bit wonky today so I'm prepared to be overruled but to me it looks as if the birthplace is Castle Cary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Would someone else like to look at the original? It's on Ancestry.

The page is headed Cadbury, right enough.

But have a look at the three consecutive entries of which "Thomas son of Thomas Taylor and Deborah" is the third.

To my eyes, the first record says "of Castle Cary". The second says "of the same". The third (Mary's ancestor) says "of ditto".

My eyes are a bit wonky today so I'm prepared to be overruled but to me it looks as if the birthplace is Castle Cary.
    I've taken a look, and agree it's Castle Cary.
    Alma

Knowledgeable and helpful

I agree that the first Thomas would appear to be Castle Cary but unfortunately the second Thomas, John and Elizabeth don't appear to have a place name so one has to go with what it says at the top of the page which is Cadbury.

As parents don't usually give the same name to two children, it looks as though the Thomas born Castle Cary died and the next born son was given the same name.

Emeltee

Sorry Emeltee, we must agree to disagree. I don't think there's little doubt that the batch of births at the bottom of the page in different handwriting, are for people of Castle Cary, though I'm prepared to be shot down in flames!
    Alma

Reputation beyond repute

Mary is specifically asking about the Thomas born 11 Sep 1715. he was born in Castle Cary.

Loves to help with queries

Many thanks to you all. It looks as though Thomas was definitely not born in Bristol. Castle Cary is about 30 miles from Bristol (and Cadbury even further) and I wonder why he ended up in Bristol where he was married in 1736.
    I'm now wondering if the Quaker Thomas Taylor family of Bristol is in fact connected to the Castle Cary one. Not conclusive I know but he didn't name any of his daughters Deborah.
    More research required!

Famous for offering help & advice

Do you have his marriage certificate? A Quaker marriage cert usually gives the names , occupations and abode of parents I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast