Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

I have the scanned record on Ancestry. it doesn't give the Groom's father's name, only the Bride's. It states the Groom is of Bristol and a Plumber. There is a list of witnesses at the marriage, quite a few Taylors but no Thomas or Deborah Taylor so I now think I have the wrong parents. I will follow up on the other Taylors.
    Many thanks.

janbooth

Perhaps this might help, Mary. There is a burial at Castle Cary on 29 December 1782 of a Thomas TAYLOR, aged 66, so he could be one or other of the Thomas's baptised at Castle Cary.

Ah, just found Quaker record at the Monthly Meeting of Bristol, via Ancestry, for a Thomas son of Nicholas TAYLER & Mary his wife who was born at their dwelling house in Marchant Street the parish of James on 24th day of 11th month 1713, which I think means 24 January 1713/14. Is this within the timescale of your Thomas? There is a Quaker marriage record at the Monthly Meeting of Bristol, again via Ancestry, on 17th of 4th month 1700 their intention to marry on 12th day of 5th month, Nicholas TAYLOUR of this city, Carpenter, son of Nicholas, Carpenter, & Mary HOLLISTER, daughter of Samuel late of the same city, Grocer. Any good?

Janet

Famous for offering help & advice

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    I have the scanned record on Ancestry. it doesn't give the Groom's father's name, only the Bride's. It states the Groom is of Bristol and a Plumber. There is a list of witnesses at the marriage, quite a few Taylors but no Thomas or Deborah Taylor so I now think I have the wrong parents. I will follow up on the other Taylors.
    Many thanks.
    That is a pity. I have Quaker records from a slightly later date which are quite informative. Following up on the other Taylors is a good idea. You may find siblings or parents.

Our ancestor came from a Somerset village.He was baptised in an Anglican church but moved to Bristol as a young man. He joined Society of Friends(Quakers) and started a business in the city.

In your case Thomas may have been born in Bristol or elsewhere, and may or may not have been born a Quaker! Bristol archives have some Quaker records, could be worth checking.Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Perhaps this might help, Mary. There is a burial at Castle Cary on 29 December 1782 of a Thomas TAYLOR, aged 66, so he could be one or other of the Thomas's baptised at Castle Cary.

Ah, just found Quaker record at the Monthly Meeting of Bristol, via Ancestry, for a Thomas son of Nicholas TAYLER & Mary his wife who was born at their dwelling house in Marchant Street the parish of James on 24th day of 11th month 1713, which I think means 24 January 1713/14. Is this within the timescale of your Thomas? There is a Quaker marriage record at the Monthly Meeting of Bristol, again via Ancestry, on 17th of 4th month 1700 their intention to marry on 12th day of 5th month, Nicholas TAYLOUR of this city, Carpenter, son of Nicholas, Carpenter, & Mary HOLLISTER, daughter of Samuel late of the same city, Grocer. Any good?

Janet
    That is interesting Janet and may be a possibility. My only concern is that Nicholas is not mentioned on Thomas's marriage cert , quite a surprising omission. I guess Mary would need to follow up on Nicholas's Thomas to see if they are one and the same....

Many thanks Jan. I have actually been collating information about Nicholas Taylor as he appeared as a Witness in several marriages and I thought there might be a connection. I did have Elizabeth (1701) and William (1702) with parents Nicholas Jnr & Mary at Marchant Street, also a Rebecca (1712) at St. James but I had not come across the Thomas birth which does fit in with his marriage date of 1736. The name Hollister is given as a first name to the child of Nicholas Jnr & Sarah in 1738.
    I don't know how I missed those other records and why the marriage ones I have looked at did not have the Groom's father's name. I will go back and have another look.
    I think the death of the Castle Cary Thomas Taylor at 66 would be a very good fit for the son of Thomas & Deborah. I have now discounted them.
    Mary

https://
    archives.bristol.gov.uk/Willsindex.aspx

You may already have seen these - but if not, Bristol Archives have a number of Taylor wills including Nicholas Taylor the elder , house carpenter 1739 . Also a Thomas Taylor plumber 1754 who could be yours. The archives will copy for you for a fee.

janbooth

Those Wills could be very interesting, couldn't they Grisel and hopefully give Mary some clues.

Janet

Smile Quaker Birth Records

Quote Originally Posted by grisel View Post
    https://
    archives.bristol.gov.uk/Willsindex.aspx

You may already have seen these - but if not, Bristol Archives have a number of Taylor wills including Nicholas Taylor the elder , house carpenter 1739 . Also a Thomas Taylor plumber 1754 who could be yours. The archives will copy for you for a fee.
    Many thanks Grisel. These two are definitely mine. I have ordered the Nicholas Will from the National Archives but as they didn't have Thomas' I have ordered that through Bristol Archives, which will take longer! Wills are always such good sources.
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Mary C View Post
    Many thanks Grisel. These two are definitely mine. I have ordered the Nicholas Will from the National Archives but as they didn't have Thomas' I have ordered that through Bristol Archives, which will take longer! Wills are always such good sources.
    Mary
    Hi Mary, I can only see a Nicholas Taylor Will of 1704 in the Nat Archives, poss father of the Nicholas Taylor 1739 Will at Bristol? But prob part of the same family so all of interest.

janbooth

Do let us know how you get on when the Wills arrive, Mary. Hopefully they will point the way to the parentage of your Thomas.

Janet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast