Thread: Newcastle

Default Newcastle

Would anyone know if there was a regiment stationed in Newcastle in the 1800s .......any other information would be appreciated...researching !
    Many thanks.

Reputation beyond repute

The depot of the Northumberland Fusiliers was there but there would have been plenty of different regiments stationed there at different times in the 19th century. There are census returns you could look at. Or is it really just the period of the Napoleonic Wars that you're interested in?

But are you sure this is really the question you want answered? Are you perhaps looking for a specific soldier?

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    The depot of the Northumberland Fusiliers was there but there would have been plenty of different regiments stationed there at different times in the 19th century. There are census returns you could look at. Or is it really just the period of the Napoleonic Wars that you're interested in?

But are you sure this is really the question you want answered? Are you perhaps looking for a specific soldier?
    Thank you. I am just wanting to know the name of any regiment quartered in Newcastle during the period 1811/1812 and any subsequent actions they may have taken part in during that period.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

There are the very odd moments in my life when I have a flash of possible genius, and I've just had one with regard to this query.
    Please note that I do say 'possible genius', not definite genius.

Try old newspapers, not just ones local to Newcastle.
    Your library might have free access to The Times Digital Archive, and there's another group of 19th century newspapers some libraries subscribe to; I can't remember if it has a more specific title than '19th century newspapers'.
    There's also the British Newspaper Archive, part of the British Library, most of which is available on Findmypast.

You need to search for army terms in use at the time such as Foot, Regiment, possibly Cavalry, etc, plus Newcastle.

There's also two volumes of a book called 'In search of the Forlorn Hope' by John Kitzmiller II, which is a 'comprehensive guide to locating British regiments and their records'. It covers from 1640 to WWI. If you're in the UK your library might be able to order it in through the inter-loan service. Be aware that there are a lot of pages. Page 723 of Volume 1 lists Newcastle but only has regiments there for 1802-1805.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

There's also two volumes of a book called 'In search of the Forlorn Hope' by John Kitzmiller II, which is a 'comprehensive guide to locating British regiments and their records'.
    There's also a similar book specifically concerned with the Royal Artillery - Battery Records of the Royal Artillery 1716-1859 by M.E.S. Laws. This is obtainable through inter-library loans.

Both this and the book mentioned by Pam are on the shelves of the National Archives library.