Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Research in Yorkshire - any help appreciated

I spent 10 days in London researching for several families this past February. I know that I want to return to the UK, this time going to Yorkshire for a quantity of time to research my Raper family. I know that many records I will need are at the Borthwick Institute in York. I will also want to visit Finghall and Anderly area. I will fly into Heathrow Airport and I'm thinking taking a train to York. I will stay in York.

Does York have bus service? Will I be able to take a bus from train station to hotel, restaurants, etc? Will there be a bus service to Finghall? or will I have to hire transport?

Thanks for any help, advice about researching in this area! My plan is to visit sometime in September.

I look forward to seeing the area that my ancestors lived in for so many generations. I look forward to seeing All Saints Pavement where my great ... grandfather William Raper is buried. I would like to visit St Andrews churchyard where his son Henry Raper, rector of Finghall is buried.

Hi grburk,

So you don't think you are being ignored, I'm here to say I will respond to you tomorrow if no - one else has answered your questions between now and then. I have visitors now but can give some advice, though there may be members more informed than me.

As a start here's my thoughts on your visit to Finghall.

Public transport from York to Finghall would be a difficult journey it would involve a train to Northallerton, then train to Leyburn and a bus from Leyburn to Finghall, not an easy or fast journey. The easiest way would be to hire a car for a couple of days and stay overnight in Leyburn or Northallerton, Northallerton has the County Record Office and you may find resources there which are not available at the Borthwick. What are your thoughts on driving?

https://archivesunlocked.northyorks....w/default.aspx
    Alma

Brick wall demolition expert!

You might the site below useful - its a link to Tourist Association for North Yorkshire and has a links for transport and accommodation:

https://
    www.visityorkshire.com/index.php

For Genealogy don't forget to fall back on GENUKI as a good reference tool kit:
    https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/YKS/

or indeed use the National Archives on line search capabilities with Discovery:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hi Renea,

I wasn't ignoring you - just waiting until I got upstairs on the laptop. Doubt if I would have found out about the record office in Northallerton so I'm pleased that almach got her reply in first.
    If you put Finghall into the 'quick catalogue search' you get 81 hits including the parish registers (though you may be familiar with those already) and a reference to summary conviction for a Thomas Raper in 1872.

Forum rules don't allow us to put commercial sites as a clickable link so I've had to split a lot of the URLs. However if you copy-and-paste the bit after the www. it should take you direct to the site.

Guide to York in general, with online guides, maps, etc - https://www.
    visityork.org/travel/

Bus services(s) in York. https://www.
    itravelyork.info/

Driving distance from York to Finghall is about 44 miles, travelling mainly on the A1(M). It's similar to your out-of-town dual-carriageway roads but it was up-graded to three lanes and semi-motorway status some years ago simply because of the volume of traffic you can get on the road at times. (Not trying to put you off, just telling you the facts.)
    You're probably aware that Finghall is a very tiny village, but it does have a 'pub with rooms' (the Queen's Head) if you wanted to stay overnight.
    It even has a railway station, but it's a request stop. Google 'Wensleydale Railway', which is what we call a heritage railway,i.e. one which is not part of the national network but run by volunteers. It's a really tiny station, just outside the village, down Chapel Lane. Train goes to/from Leyburn.
    If you're not over-keen on driving (check out the roads in Finghall before deciding! ) it might be worth considering getting a taxi from York to wherever. It will be more expensive than public transport, but it will certainly be quicker and more convenient. (I just phoned one company in York, and they said 'about £86 on the meter' which means that if you're delayed en route that if will quite a bit higher.) Alternatively if you were thinking of staying overnight in Northallerton or Leyburn, then do train(s) to there and then do taxi to Finghall. (Though a bus ride would be an adventure. )

Trains to York depart from Kings Cross. Seems to be about 4 or 5 trains per hour, journey time usually about two hours, and most of them direct trains. There are the odd one(s) you have to change somewhere along the route. https://www.
    nationalrail.co.uk/
    If you can, purchase your ticket as soon as the 3-month advance purchasing 'window' opens though I don't know if they could/would tickets to the US. (email/cheap phone Virgin Trains to ask - there's links on the rail website). You might have to collect them on the day, in which case allow plenty of time as there's often queues at the ticket office. (The earlier you buy a ticket, the cheaper it will be.)

I'm sure almach will have her opinions on my suggestions/finds/comments/

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

I'm going out for lunch and have a few household jobs to do first, so very little time, but wanted to say..............
    Driving distance from York to Finghall is about 44 miles, travelling mainly on the A1(M). It's similar to your out-of-town dual-carriageway roads but it was up-graded to three lanes and semi-motorway status some years ago simply because of the volume of traffic you can get on the road at times. (Not trying to put you off, just telling you the facts.)
    I wouldn't advise the A1 route, it isn't the most direct and is a very busy road. The best route from experience would be A19 to A168 in North Yorkshire a journey of approx just short of an hour.

ETA: my directions are to Northallerton.

Pam's are to Finghall, so Pam is right as regards York - Finghall

Personally I'd drive to Northallerton, visit the Record Office and then move on to Finghall it could be a drive through pleasant countryside.

Unsure though how you feel about driving as we drive on the left and you are used to the right.
    Alma

If you intend staying in a city centre hotel you will be able to walk to restaurants, the train station is central and there's a good taxi service from the station. I'm sorry but I don't know of a place named Anderly, is it near Finghall?

York is a beautiful, historic and interesting city with some good museums, I recommend York Castle Museum in particular.

All Saints Pavement Church is in central York, so if your hotel is central you'll be able to walk to the church.

If we can help with anything else please ask.
    Alma

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    If you intend staying in a city centre hotel you will be able to walk to restaurants, the train station is central and there's a good taxi service from the station. I'm sorry but I don't know of a place named Anderly, is it near Finghall?

York is a beautiful, historic and interesting city with some good museums, I recommend York Castle Museum in particular.

All Saints Pavement Church is in central York, so if your hotel is central you'll be able to walk to the church.

If we can help with anything else please ask.
    It's not listed in the 'where is it' on Genuki Yorkshire.
    No Anderly found as a place on google earth. The 'best alternatives' I can come up with off the top of my head are Anlaby, not far from Hull (on the north side of the Humber river between Yorkshire and Lincolshire, and Anderby, a smal village in Lincolnshire.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Famous for offering help & advice

Trains: My brother-in-law lives in Canada and before he comes over he gets a fantastic offer from British Rail that lets him travel anywhere in the UK, on any train (I think). Makes me quite jealous - not available to we poor Brits who have to pay extortionate rail fares! So make enquiries before you come!

York: As already mentioned - if you're in a City Centre hotel, the restaurants etc are mostly within walking distance or short taxi-rides. The City bus service is good in the day-time, but it may not run late enough to get you "home" after dinner.

Finghall: Probably better to stay somewhere closer than York (perhaps Harrogate? - lots of hotels/B&B's etc) overnight, then hire a car or take a taxi.

Wishing you an enjoyable trip!

Jane

Just got on and saw all the replies, will look closer and then ask questions if I need. Y'all are wonderful (yes, it's a southern y'all)! The Ainderly or Anderby Quernhow is near Thirsk or at least it was in 1600s. William Raper who is supposed to be of that area had 4 children baptized at Pickhill.
    Thanks again for all the help!

Megan, I bookmarked the tourist association web site. It looks like it will be helpful. I spent several days at the national archives in February. I had never gone to the GENUKI site, so will spend some time there. Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast