Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thank you Pam for your specifics on transportation. I'm a pretty good driver here in the states, but y'all do it backwards to me and I definitely don't want a wreck! I'm a retired school teacher so may have to reconsider Finghall at that cost, lol!

Almach, a visit to Northallerton and the record office may be good advice. My Raper connection is through Henry Raper who was the rector of Finghall from about 1710 until his death in 1735. He had a son who came to Charleston, South Carolina. Henry's father was William Raper who was a merchant who lived in "High Ousegate, City of York, Peter Lane Little" according to his will. He and many ofhis children were buried at All Saints Pavement and I am anxious to see that church. I know that many records I need are only available at Borthwicke Institute and I will spend time there.

The Ainderly or Anderby Quernhow is near Thirsk or at least it was in 1600s. William Raper who is supposed to be of that area had 4 children baptized at Pickhill.
    Ah, I've found the place, it's: Ainderby Quernhow

Not sure if you know therefore thought it worth mentioning - Ancestry has the parish registers for Pickhill. Also All Saints Pavement, York.

An example is:
    All Saints Church Pavement, in the City of York, Burials, 1690 - 1773

'January the 10 day, 1692-William, the son of Mr William Raper buried in the cros Alle, betwext the lord mare pew and the minister pew, anenst the Reding place'. [verbatim]
    Alma

I do have info from ancestry, find my past uk, and also society of genealogists, but I do need to get wills, etc that can only be seen at Borthwick. That's my excuse for another trip to UK. Besides, I want to see the area in Yorkshire where these ancestors lived! Almach you and the others who have replied are making me feel more confident about taking the trip over. My trip last Feb to London was with someone who had made many trips to London researching. She knew how to do everything and I just followed! This trip I will be on my own, a little scarier.

Brick wall demolition expert!

We are happy to help with any questions you have including for our friends from overseas about getting around this wonderful country.

If you fly into London you can trains from London (King's Cross Station) to Leeds, or York or Northallerton direct - visit the "trainline.com". Alternatively you can fly into other places in the UK and get trains from there as well and so get to see even more of the country.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Renea ... I see this thread is a couple of years old. Curious how your research in England went. My husband is also a direct descendant of Rev. Henry Raper. We have visited both Finghall, Pickhill, York and Aindery Quernhow. We were lucky to have a niece that was stationed in England and she drove us to all the places above. Talked to a lot of local people and visited the Churches where the descendants were buried and also the homestead (the Manor) in Finghall. We did take the train just from London to Cambridge and found it extremely expensive.

Loves to help with queries

I live in Northallerton and have a good friend in Finghall. I would be quite happy to pick you up at Northallerton railway station and take you to Finghall. Its not easy by public transport

Quote Originally Posted by iroper View Post
    Hi Renea ... I see this thread is a couple of years old. Curious how your research in England went. My husband is also a direct descendant of Rev. Henry Raper. We have visited both Finghall, Pickhill, York and Aindery Quernhow. We were lucky to have a niece that was stationed in England and she drove us to all the places above. Talked to a lot of local people and visited the Churches where the descendants were buried and also the homestead (the Manor) in Finghall. We did take the train just from London to Cambridge and found it extremely expensive.
    I am still on this site. What is your husband's connection to Rev. Henry Raper?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12