smpanko

Default Help dating this photo

I would like help determining the date of this photograph. I believe it may be my gr-grandparents. My gr-grandfather died in 1895. Could it have been from before that?

Kiltpin

Well, HR Sherborn was certainly taking pictures at that time -

https://www.newmarketshops.info/No.35_High_Street.html

Regards

Chas

What does the other side look like? What is the photographer's address?

There's a website called fadingimages dot uk (change dot to the punctuation mark to make the URL) which gives biographies of photographers from that period. Depending on which address is given, you can date the photo to before and after the 1891 census.

PS Welcome to the British Genealogy Forum.

Reputation beyond repute

Henry R Sherborn was listed as a photographer in Newmarket in the census returns of 1871, 1881 and 1891. I didn't look any further.

smpanko

I finally have an image of the back of this photo. It has the photographers address as Wellington St., Newmarket. I looked at the fadingimages website. There is one example with the Wellington St address dated between 1872-1874 but the design on the back is not exactly the same as mine. Any ideas for narrowing down the date?

Valued member of Brit-Gen

The post Office directory of 1879 lists him at church Lane. the Kellys directory of 1883 lists him in Wellington St, whereas the Kellys of 1892 lists him in High St. you should make allowance for the differencee between the publication date and the survey date, which is likely to make these survey dates at least a year before the publication date

A fountain of knowledge

The curved corners of the mountboard indicate the photo was taken in the 1880s. The clothing is consistent with that period as well. The man's sloped shoulderline, the narrow cut of the coat, which is buttoned up, are all typical of the 1880s. Also his sideboards. I have seen a lot of that style of jewellery in the 1880s as well - the chunky chain with locket. The rustic style of the fence prop in the studio is also a feature of the 1880s, as is the wistful painted backdrop. Did your great grandfather marry in the period?

Best wishes,

Lenore