Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Job Boulton and Chester Annuity

Hello!

I am currently working on a stubborn brickwall and, as part of that, I am trying to prove or disprove that one Job Boulton of Bridgnorth, Shropshire, is the same man as Job Boulton of Droitwich, Worcestershire, the son of my brickwall ancestor (also named Job). If he is, I open up a number of leads (he was mentioned as the cousin of Mary Rudge of Feckenham and Evesham in her 1755 will).

He himself left a will in 1777 that, sadly, doesn't prove the identification. He left property in Shropshire and Worcestershire, and also two shares in what is termed the "Chester Anuity". I have no idea exactly what this was, and my google skills are failing me.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Growing old Disgracefully

Annuities are contracts with insurance companies. The contracts, which can be funded with either a lump sum or through regular payments, are designed as financial vehicles for retirement purposes. In exchange for premiums, the insurance company agrees to make regular payments — either immediately or at some date in the future.

Meanwhile, the money used to fund the contract grows tax deferred. Unlike other tax advantaged retirement programs, there are no contribution limits on annuities. And annuities can be used in very creative and effective ways.

Thanks for the information.

From the term "the Chester Annuity" I'm assuming it was a well-known annuity at the time. I'm hoping to find out more about it.

In previous centuries, annuities were often set up for charitable purposes - providing school places for poor children, for example.

I think that it would probably be worth consulting Cheshire Archives - there must be papers relating to it. As you say, it must have been well-known.
    Accoring to GENUKI, Chester Archives are HERE. The Cheshire page also lists other possible sources relating to the area.

Thanks. I'd like to find out more about this particular annuity, especially since it was called "the Chester annuity" and, in the records I have I can't find any connection to that county.

There are Boultons from Cheshire. Did he receive it from one of them

The annuity could be named after someone called Chester and not the place.

Emeltee

I hadn't thought of that, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    In previous centuries, annuities were often set up for charitable purposes - providing school places for poor children, for example.

I think that it would probably be worth consulting Cheshire Archives - there must be papers relating to it. As you say, it must have been well-known.
    Accoring to GENUKI, Chester Archives are HERE. The Cheshire page also lists other possible sources relating to the area.
    Thanks. I'll check it out.

Chester Courant, 10 Feb 1795

CITY OF CHESTER ANNUITIES
    Name of Annuitant - Richard Thomas
    Names of the Lives - Joseph Boulton, Susannah Boulton
    Where living on 24th of December 1794; or suspended for want of certificates- Bridgnorth, Shropshire
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Thank you! Joanna Thomas was Job's wife, so it looks like the annuity was set up by one of her relatives. Her father perhaps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast