Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Stuck in 1786 - Thomas Marsh and Mary

Hello, Perhaps this is better for the Brickwall forum but maybe those of you familiar with Wiltshire will be able to give some guidance as well.

I have a Marsh line traced to Semington/Steeple Ashton. I have decent information up until 1786 but can't find the breakthrough for the next step.

I have the name of Thomas Marsh, wife is Mary, but no birth, marriage, christening, or death information.
    Their names come from their son's Christening record

Isaac Marsh (Mary Pearce/Pierce, may also have been married to Martha Underwood at some point)
    Christened Oct-6-1786, Father Thos Marsh, Mother Mary
    Semington, Wiltshire, England
    Wiltshire Baptisms, 1530-1886 Transcription
    Isaac also appears as head of household in "England and Wales Census" for 1841, 1851, and 1861

Isaac and Mary had a son also named Isaac who married, or at least had a child with Mary Ann Naish Kemp. Much of his information comes from articles and records for his son Albert Marsh who emigrated to the U.S.A. and built his life in Alpine, Utah.

That is all I have to try to find Thomas and Mary in Wiltshire. Commons names with little else to go by. The Christening record for Isaac (the first one) seemed to be a great start but I can't get beyond the names or find additional, specific records to figure out who they were.

Thanks in advance for anyone who might have some insights.

M Marsh

Knowledgeable and helpful

Given the reference to Utah, I am guessing that the family were members of the LDS church. Certainly many families in the Steeple Ashton area were converts to this denomination, and many emigrated there, even if not directly. However, you need to be aware that in this part of Wiltshire there was long a tradition of non-conformity - ie not belonging to the established Church of England, and therefore the people you seek may not appear in their records. Records of other denominations were not well kept, for reasons of protection from authorities.I've looked in my book of meeting house certificates where official permission was given for these people to meet on Sundays, and although there are Marshes, there is no Thomas or Isaac. pwholt

I have found a Thomas Marsh in an early census (list of householders) of Steeple Ashton, tything of Semington in 1800.There were 5 in his family and the "address" is given as Littleton's Wood. (WRO 730/288/2 1800) pwholt

I have found the following children baptised Semington with parents Thomas and Mary

Thomas 1778 (no burial found)
    Thomas 1780
    William 1782
    James 1784 died 1807
    Isaac 1786
    Elizabeth 1789 died 1809
    Ann 1791

I have also found a death in Semington for a Thomas Marsh in 1813 aged 80 and for a Mary Marsh 1835 aged 84

I cannot find a marriage for Thomas and Mary.

Emeltee

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by emeltee View Post
    I have found the following children baptised Semington with parents Thomas and Mary

Thomas 1778 (no burial found)
    Thomas 1780
    William 1782
    James 1784 died 1807
    Isaac 1786
    Elizabeth 1789 died 1809
    Ann 1791

I have also found a death in Semington for a Thomas Marsh in 1813 aged 80 and for a Mary Marsh 1835 aged 84

I cannot find a marriage for Thomas and Mary.

Emeltee
    Given the reference to Isaac (1786) this appears to be the family I am looking for. Are these physical records you are looking through or is there an online source I can peruse for this information? If those death records end up being for the same people that is much more information than I've had before.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    Given the reference to Utah, I am guessing that the family were members of the LDS church. Certainly many families in the Steeple Ashton area were converts to this denomination, and many emigrated there, even if not directly. However, you need to be aware that in this part of Wiltshire there was long a tradition of non-conformity - ie not belonging to the established Church of England, and therefore the people you seek may not appear in their records. Records of other denominations were not well kept, for reasons of protection from authorities.I've looked in my book of meeting house certificates where official permission was given for these people to meet on Sundays, and although there are Marshes, there is no Thomas or Isaac. pwholt
    Albert was a convert to the LDS church, as were his aunt and cousins with whom he emigrated, and was somewhat prominent in the church in Alpine, Utah. That is why there is quite a bit of information available about him and his parents. There are quite a few histories published about him. Unfortunately not much goes beyond his father.

I appreciate your help.

Hi

When Isaac Marsh married Mary Underwood 5 October 1817 he was a bachelor and Mary was a spinster, they married by banns witnesses were James and Margaret Salisbury, if this is your Isaac he would have been aged 31/2 at the time of his marriage
    Isaac Marsh them married Mary Pearce on the 14 December 1819 by now Isaac is a widow and Mary is a spinster and again the same swiftness.
    Death
    Isaac Marsh Little Semington 9 April 1866 age 77

Peanut