Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default England to Newfoundland

Hello,
    I am interested in finding any info on my 5x great-grandad, Samuel Baker, who left Wareham, Dorset for Newfoundland probably 1800-15. I have him born in Stoborough, 1779. I hope to find some paper trail of his emigration.
    Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the British-Genealogy forums.
    As you have stated who you are hoping to get some help with I have moved this thread to the Dorset forum where it will generate more attention. If it turns out Samuel was not born there we can always move it again.
    Good luck
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

OK, Thanks.

Famous for offering help & advice

you've probably already seen this list which names a few ships that went from Poole (Dorset) to Newfoundland in 1805

https://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ca...dspost1800.htm

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post
    you've probably already seen this list which names a few ships that went from Poole (Dorset) to Newfoundland in 1805

Thanks for this. You know, I never really took a good look at this list. I visit the Newfoundland site often, as the forum is a great resource, but had forgotten about this list.
    Thanks again!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by wimsey View Post

Thanks for this. You know, I never really took a good look at this list. I visit this site often,as the forum is a great resource, but had forgotten about this list.
    Thanks again!

Famous for offering help & advice

... and this site seems to be definite about 1805, I don't know where their information came from (perhaps you ! )

https://ngb.chebucto.org/Passenger/immigrants.shtml

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for checking!
    Yes, I am aware of this entry. The list was compiled years ago using primarily parish records. I contacted the woman who originally helped with the list and she informed me that this was his marriage date. I'm not sure why they would use that as his year of arrival He was married to Jane Pelley, Carbonear, NL on 26 Dec 1815.

I believe Samuel most likely was the son of Daniel and Ann (Langdown) Baker of Stoborough. Daniel was a tenant of Robert Dugdale in Stoborough throughout the 1790s, per land tax returns of Dorset. Daniel died in 1799, & Ann died abt 1804.

Daniel & Anne's first son (b.1759) was Thomas Baker, who would have been 20 years older than Samuel (Samuel was the youngest, named after 2 previous brothers named Samuel, who died). Interestingly, there is a Thomas Baker in Carbonear who married Francis Sheppard, dau of Martin. So I'm exploring the possibility that Samuel went to NL to be near his brother.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Do the local town halls in Dorset hold any records that may not be online?

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Phenmark View Post
    Thanks for checking!
    Yes, I am aware of this entry. The list was compiled years ago using primarily parish records. I contacted the woman who originally helped with the list and she informed me that this was his marriage date. I'm not sure why they would use that as his year of arrival He was married to Jane Pelley, Carbonear, NL on 26 Dec 1815.
    I just came back to this thread and realized this reply must have been very confusing. When the date "1815" was transcribed, it was entered as "1805" erroneously. So basically, the people compiling the list of immigrants to Newfoundland not only used Samuel Baker's marriage date as his year of immigration, they also entered the wrong year-1805 instead of 1815.
    Still seeking any leads!