Default Hadleigh Royal Volunteers - early 1800s

Can anyone help me with information on the Hadleigh Royal Volunteers. I have attached a copy of a painting of my 5x great grandfather John Campion wearing the uniform, regimental cross-belt plate and skako of the Hadleigh Royal Volunteers. He was married in 1795 in Harwich, Essex and his occupation at that time was a Valet de Chambre. The story is that he was the valet to a Duke. We haven't been able to find any information on him whatsoever after this. I just wondered if anyone could tell me about the Hadleigh Royal Volunteers ie. what they did, where they were etc. I believe from the painting that he was an officer and a relative still owns his sword. Was there a Duke associated with the Hadleigh Royal Volunteers? I'm grasping at any straws and would appreciate any information anyone can give me on these Volunteers. Unfortunately I do not live in the UK to be able to search out records and online records are very limited. Thanks for any help that anyone can give.

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Hi - just a general look around on the National Archives Discovery Search brings up militia and volunteer muster and pay books for Suffolk Hadleigh, Volunteers 1797 - 1814. Unfortunately it does look like they are only available at The National Archives.

Mrs P

Also some newspaper articles - I am not sure they are the correct unit but when I googled the search came up with a button - commercial site - so I can say no more but a note at the bottom says it was a Hadleigh Loyal Volunteers a suffolk unit under the captaincy of John Brownrigge-Leake and when I put his name into the newspaper archive several hits came up.

Mrs P

Unless it is two different things it does seem to be known as the Loyal Hadleigh Volunteers rather than the Hadleigh Royal Volunteers.

1803 Bury - we hear the Loyal Hadleigh Volunteers consisting of two companies commanded by J B Leake Esq ...... then some officers names but sadly not a Campion... will appear in full uniform on Sunday next and attend divine service in the afternoon.

Mrs P

Thanks. I had managed to find those articles, but still no mention of John Campion. Interesting to know about the records at the National Archives, but unfortunately I'm in New Zealand so can't access anything there. I had wondered whether the Loyal and Royal were the same or not though. The Royal Hadleigh Volunteers was what was written on the back of the painting. He would have been there about 1810. We have no record of when he died but the story is that the Duke that he worked for (I'm presuming as a Valet de Chambre) took an interest in his son's art work (artist George Bryant Campion) and sponsored him, but it seems that John Campion had the painting commissioned along with other family paintings so I doubt that he was a 'poor' servant. It's just a mystery and I thought that by knowing a bit more about the Volunteers I might work something out about him. Thank you so much for your help. Really appreciate it!

Hi - Possibly the only way forward would be to hire a researcher to look at the National Archive details for you, that does become expensive though.

Mrs P

Thanks. I think they must be the same and I really appreciate the help you've given.

Del