Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CASSIDY

truey52

Default CASSIDY

Trying to gather information regarding the family of Charles Cassidy. Charles died at Ballarat, Victoria, Australia in 1902. Death certificate states he was born Liverpool,UK, and that his parents were John Cassidy and Margaret?. Charles Cassidy was tried and convicted at Liverpool, and was sentenced to life transportation. His crime was burglary. He was 18 years old at trial, which was held 9th April 1838. His trade was given as a watch finisher. He could read and write and the gaoler describes him as mild and obedient. He arrived in Australia aboard the John Barry in 1839. He was granted a ticket of leave in 1846. The mystery I have is that he supposedly married Jane Smith between 1848 and 1850, in Yass NSW or Sydney NSW. Cannot find a marriage for them, however Jane Smith liked to change her name apparently, on some of the childrens birth certificates, she is Jane Smith, on others she is Mary Jane Brown or Mary Ann Brown. Would love to find any information regarding Charles and his parents. Thanks, Shirl.

There is a baptism at Childwall (Liverpool) of a Charles Cassidy 30 Dec 1821 (born 1 Dec) son of John Cassidy (labourer) and Rosey Cassidy - residence Halewood (Liverpool)
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

truey52

Thanks for that Christina, I had seen that, all records of Charles that I've seen state that his mother is Margaret, however not discounting any clues at this stage. Shirl.

janbooth

Don't know whether this will turn out to be relevant or not, but there is a John CASSIDY in the 1841 census of Liverpool St Martin (HO107/563/7, folio 33, page 5) born c1781 in Ireland who is a Tailor presumably married to a Margaret born c 1781 in Lancashire. Next house down is a possible son Robert CASSIDY born c1816 Lancashire who is also a Tailor.

Your Charles CASSIDY stated he was a Roman Catholic on his criminal records, so that could perhaps be why his baptism is difficult to find. Some Liverpool Catholic records are online, but I am not sure if all churches are. I did look for the baptism of this Robert CASSIDY but had no luck with his baptismal record either.

Janet

truey52

Wow, thanks for that Janet, it seems promising doesn't it. Will look into it tomorrow, am off to bed now, thanks, Shirl.

It's not always true, but such trades often pass from father to son, and the fact that he could read and write in the 19th century suggests that he came from a middle class family with money to spend on educating the children. I'd be looking (but not exclusively) for a father in the watch making business..

That said, the 1841 census for Liverpool has John Cassidy, tailor, aged 60 b. Ireland and Margaret, also 60, presumably his wife. Don't forget that their actual ages could be 56-60.. There's quite a few others....

janbooth

There is an entry on the National Probate Calendar which may eliminate the Charles CASSIDY baptised in Childwell. A John CASSIDY of Halewood, Yeoman, died on 28 May 1868 and probate was granted to his son Charles CASSIDY of Hardwicke Grange, Salop, Butler. More investigation would be needed by Shirl obviously.

Looking at the Trade Directories of Liverpool via Ancestry does not bring up any CASSIDYs who are in the Watch Making business. 1824-25 Baines Directory brings up John CASSADY, Tailor, 45 Cavendish Street. 1855 Slaters Directory of Liverpool shows John CASSIDY, Tailor, at 17 Hornby Street. Of course, John could have been working for someone else in the Watch Industry and therefore not appear in a Trade Directory.

Janet

truey52

Thanks so much to you all for looking for this information. Also on the Prison Hulk Registers 1802-1849, there is a William Preston, who like Charles Cassidy, was convicted and sentenced to life transportation, via the "John Barry", for the criome of burglary. Have tried to follow up on William to see if his and Charles' paths crossed once in Australia, but unable to establish much. William was a watchmaker by trade. Then there is a 3rd person, Robert Barsley or Bartley, same crime, same sentence, different ship to Aus, he was also a watch finisher. Must be that watch making etc. was not highly paid! Anyway just thought I'd add those bits in case they are tied up somewhere down the line. Thanks, Shirl.

William, Charles and Robert (reported as Bartley) are on the same list published in the Liverpool Mercury on 13 Apr 1838 as sentenced to transportation for life. There's a 4th name - William Dixon, aged 20.
    It's odd that 3 men of similar age and occupations (maybe 4) came up at the same time.... I wonder whether it was the same crime.... Can't find a trial or crime report.

PS My word of the day, from one of the papers, "burglariously"

Ancestry's uk branch has the trial registers. The only new info is that Dixon is indeed listed with the other 3, and the crime is specified as "burglary-simple" which is presumably why they only got transportation. Burlary with injury to a person was still on the list for the death penalty back then.

Curiously, only Cassidy and Bartley stimulate Ancestry's list of suggested other records. I don't know whether that means that nobody has been looking for the other 2....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast