Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CASSIDY

janbooth

I have been trying to find a marriage for Charles CASSIDY with a singular lack of success so far. However, I did find a marriage at Yass in 1848 between a Mary BROWN & a John BURNS - is that just coincidence? There is then an inquest record for a John BURNS dated 27 October 1856 at Yass who apparently died of natural causes. Of course these two records may have no connection to the wife of your Charles CASSIDY, but ....

Janet

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by truey52 View Post
    Charles was granted a ticket of leave in 1846, but would he have had to seek permission to marry, if he did indeed get married?
    Yes he would. He was not free to marry without permission until he was pardoned.

Quote Originally Posted by truey52 View Post
    The mystery I have is that he supposedly married Jane Smith between 1848 and 1850, in Yass NSW or Sydney NSW.
    If the children's Victorian birth certs have different places/dates of marriage then they probably weren't married however be aware that there are many church records missing from the indexes. The only bright side is that even if you could find a marriage it won't add to your knowledge as it was pre civil registration. I do recommend that you try to have a look at the indexes to the Colonial Secretary's correspondence: Index to convicts and others, 1826-1894 compiled by Joan Reece. You might find it at your local library or family history society and most likely at the Vic State Library (their online catalogue seems to be broken at the moment). If you do find any references to Charles you would then need to note the numbers and look at the microfilm. There is a bit of a guide here https://guides.sl.nsw.gov.au/content....87&sid=3774376

truey52

Thanks Dundee for that reply very helpful, hadn't thought of Colonial Secretary's correspondence, will need to check this out. Shirl.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Cassidy - me too

Hi I have just found this forum and the Charles Cassidy is an ancestor of mine. I have had the same trouble trying to find a definate marriage date and place, what can confuse the issue is another Charles Cassidy was in a similar area of NSW at the same time. One Charles Cassidy was transported but was recorded with a profession of watchmaker. There was a family rumour that Charles was originally a catholic, however there was a major falling out with a priest and he disowned the religion. I have the death certificate of Thomas Cassidy and there was no minister, priest or official from any religion mentioned on the death certificate. Mary Ann, Mary Jane, Jane, Brown, Smith is another mystery. I am not sure how the system works, but if you can send personal emails to members, send me one and we can cross-reference what we have if you like. I gather you are a decendent as well. Looking forward to hearing from you.

truey52

Hi HBear7, I have private messaged you regarding the Cassidy family, Shirl

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi HBear7, I too have been trying to find details on what I thought was my great grandfather Charles Cassidy, and am totally confused now! I have him the same as you regarding his trial and transportation but I have him as living in Bathurst where his ticket of leave and conditional pardon was issued. I have that he married a Harriett Picken near Orange and they bore 10 children one of whom is my grandfather..I have his death certificate as died in 1895 near Orange, NSW..I'm not sure now who is who! I have birth and death certificates of his children as well...and Thomas' son Charles Joseph is my father, born in 1901...Could we please communicate so some sort of order may be found? I have many documents regarding him including the letter of request for Pardon for him and William Preston. My mother informed me many years ago that the Cassidy's were originally Catholic but for some reason they changed religion but didn't say why...my email address is...brkerrATbigpondDOTnetDOTau if you would like to make contact! Many thanks, Barbara
    Last edited by christanel; 07-02-2021 at 7:32 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123