Starting to feel at home

Default Margate - Kelly's Directory look ups

Has anyone got access to the following street addresses between 1942 and 1946.

Margate, Kent, England. Salmestone Rise

Margate, Kent, England. Princes Crescent

I am interested in the following family:

Albert Henry Taylor 1914-????
    Ethel Taylor (nee Isaacs) 1918-????

According the birth certificate of their son Gary in 1942 they resided at No.3 Salmstone Rise

I have checked the local library without any success.

Pete Spain
    (Ramsgate, Kent)

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

You will want the electoral rolls for 1945/1946, and the local council should know where they are held.
    There were no electoral rolls between 1939 and 1945, and I wouldn't have thought that anyone would have been producing directories during that period either. So your chances of finding anyone at a particular address during the war is limited (I think) to BMD certificates, and entries in church registers for baptisms, marriages, and burials. Cemetery records also for burials.

If the council have (carelessly) lost the electoral rolls then you may have to take a trip to the British Library in London who will probably have them.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Reputation beyond repute

Perhaps try Rate Books.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Regarding directories, Kellys did produce some during the war. Cannot comment about Margate, but Birmingham ones certainly were issued for 1943 & 1944

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Perhaps try Rate Books.
    Peter, if I say 'could you explain exactly what Rate Books are please', I have a basic idea about them but have no knowledge of the information they contain, and why they're not usually mentioned when electoral rolls are.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Starting to feel at home

Default Margate Library

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You will want the electoral rolls for 1945/1946, and the local council should know where they are held.
    There were no electoral rolls between 1939 and 1945, and I wouldn't have thought that anyone would have been producing directories during that period either. So your chances of finding anyone at a particular address during the war is limited (I think) to BMD certificates, and entries in church registers for baptisms, marriages, and burials. Cemetery records also for burials.

If the council have (carelessly) lost the electoral rolls then you may have to take a trip to the British Library in London who will probably have them.

Regards

Pete

Pam
    Looks like a trip to London

Margate Library

7. Electoral registers and polls books
    7(a) Electoral Registers

Thanet East and West 1973-1983
    Thanet North and South (Broadstairs, Ramsgate, Margate and Thanet parishes) 1984 to date
    Borough of Margate 1870, 1911-1914, 1926-1930, 1932, 1934, 1936, 1938-39, 1947-50, 1952-54, 1957, 1962-63, 1968-70

Reputation beyond repute

Pam actually suggested asking the council.

Also try Kent History Centre. When East Kent Archives closed, I think records ended up in Maidstone. You could also ask them about rate books for Margate.

Reputation beyond repute

could you explain exactly what Rate Books are please
    Basically lists of ratepayers, properties and amounts. Layout varies. Owners and occupiers shown in early books - don't know about the 1940s. There are examples of rate books on FMP and Ancestry.