hilarykellis

Default Stuck on Antony, Cornwall baptism

Hi all,

I am stuck on the baptism of William Bawden. He was a yeoman/farmer in Antony, Cornwall. His children were born there and he was buried there.

His burial is not recorded on the Cornwall OPC, so maybe neither is his baptism. A member of the forum kindly supplied his burial a few years ago. It looks like he was buried on 6 May 1837 in Antony, age 87, and was a resident of Hessenford.

His daughter Elizabeth Bawden married a Mr. Whitehead from Co Durham, then relocated back to Cornwall when he died at sea in 1811. William Bawden’s daughter Elizabeth Whitehead was married in St Martin by Looe Bay, which could confirm that William was living in Hessenford - it is nearby, I believe. Elizabeth Bawden Whitehead (daur of William) is living in St Germans in 1861 and died a couple years later. I found her gravestone in Antony churchyard when I visited England several years ago.

William married Elizabeth Woodman of St Germans in Antony. I am wondering when and where he was baptised. His eldest son Benjamin Bawden left his estate in trust to a Henry Trefusis Smith, solicitor. A descendant of Henry told me Henry was descended from one Rebecca Bawden b 1742 (whose baptism I can’t see online either) to John and Sarah Bawden. Rebecca married Josias Barnes and then John Parkin, through whom Henry descends. I am wondering if Rebecca could be a sibling of William Bawden - but I can’t find either person!

William did have a daughter named Rebecca, which could be a coincidence, but it is a slightly more unusual name.

I can’t find a will left by William, either.

Hope someone can help!

Do you know anything about his siblings? I'm wondering whether he was one of a family of farmers on the same farm.. otherwise, he might not be very local - people moved around as land became available, so I've looking at other parishes in the region.

He was quite old for that time - have you checked local papers for an obituary or other mention?

Hugh Thompson

Hi Hilary, going by the dates there two marriages that could be William's parents, also some of the old Parish Registers can be in very poor condition so his baptism could be there but be impossible to read, the two marriages I've found in the IGI are.

Name William Bawdon
    Spouse's Name Temperance Berry

Event Date 31 Dec 1747
    Event Place Antony, Cornwall, England

-------------------------------------------
    Name Mathew Bawden
    Spouse's Name Elizabeth Cates

Event Date 15 Dec 1747

I'll have a look at the original images in case his baptism is there.
    Hugh.

Hugh Thompson

No luck, the earliest original images are 1791 which is maybe why you can't find him.
    Hugh.

The Bishop's Transcripts could have something.
    Last edited by Hugh Thompson; 24-03-2017 at 10:17 AM. Reason: addition

janbooth

Cornwall Baptisms have the baptism at Anthony, Cornwall on 12 December 1742 of a Rebecca daughter of John & Sarah BAWDEN.

Janet

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Robertson View Post
    Do you know anything about his siblings? I'm wondering whether he was one of a family of farmers on the same farm.. otherwise, he might not be very local - people moved around as land became available, so I've looking at other parishes in the region.

He was quite old for that time - have you checked local papers for an obituary or other mention?
    Hi Lesley,

I have searched for an obit to no avail. I see Bawden being spelt differently - Boaden, Bowden, Baudon, etc but I tried a few variations and no luck. I was using the British Newspaper Archive online, not sure if there is a better resource. On his marriage record, he signed "Boaden," the minister wrote "Bawden," and the BT says "Bowden!"

I don't know if the witnesses to his marriage were recorded because I only have an index entry for the wedding, so I am not sure who his siblings were! I know all of his children stayed in Antony or nearby.

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    Cornwall Baptisms have the baptism at Anthony, Cornwall on 12 December 1742 of a Rebecca daughter of John & Sarah BAWDEN.

Janet
    Thank you, Jan - where did you find this? Do you see any other children for this couple?

hilarykellis

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Thompson View Post
    Hi Hilary, going by the dates there two marriages that could be William's parents, also some of the old Parish Registers can be in very poor condition so his baptism could be there but be impossible to read, the two marriages I've found in the IGI are.

Name William Bawdon
    Spouse's Name Temperance Berry

Event Date 31 Dec 1747

-------------------------------------------
    Name Mathew Bawden
    Spouse's Name Elizabeth Cates

Event Date 15 Dec 1747

I'll have a look at the original images in case his baptism is there.
    Hugh.
    Thank you very much, I had seen the marriage of Temperance and William, but Temperance is such an unusual name and never appears anywhere in my family tree that I had my doubts. Same with Matthew...

janbooth

Hi Hilary,

The baptism for Rebecca is on Ancestry's Select Births & Christenings and I am sure it was also on FindmyPast yesterday when I looked but it seems to have now disappeared from there! However, I didn't find any other children baptised at Anthony with parents John & Sarah - sorry.

Janet